The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Beginner Novice A Test: Question of the centerline to diagonal

I'm taking my greenbean to her first Starter Novice Mini Event this weekend. I have a question on the first centerline. I'm to come down centerline and then at X head right on a half diagonal to M. Little maresypoo does much better if I come down centerline coming counterclockwise (left turn into ring). Is there a "suggested" way to work my posting diagonals? As in, come in on right diagonal and stay there the whole time? Come in on left diagonal and switch at rail? Any suggestions or just do whatever?

As a side note, since I'm already typing :-) Willa is very green at cantering in the ring. She tends to run a little into the canter but gets her leads 90% of the time. In the event of a lead mistake I'm assuming I should come back to the trot and retry, knowing we'll have some more rushed trot steps to get back in? I can't imagine I should stay on the wrong lead but I've been wrong before! :-). We're just going for experience as I don't expect to be competitive with our substantial lack of experience but i would at least like to have as nice a test as possible :-). Thanks in advance!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Advice given with a grain of salt as I am rather tired

As you enter at A, the horse should be "straight" so either diagonal. As you head for 'M' I am thinking slight right positioning, tho not bend as on a circle, so right diagonal. A few strides out from 'M', straighten and change so you are on a left bend at 'M'. Change your diagonal as best fits greenbean now, either before or after the straightening stride(s).

Correct any incorrect lead as quickly and as 'politely' as possible. You are scored on your ability to ride correctly, includes use of aids, and your horse on her willingness to accept your aids/training. These are the collective marks at the bottom of the test.

Good luck and have fun!
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

I would try the entrance a couple times and see what seems to keep you in the best balance, then go with that. Sorry it's not a more helpful answer!

Just make sure if for some reason you get out there and have a brain fart and get rung for turning the wrong way at X or something.... when the judge says to repeat the first movement and reads the whole thing, don't actually leave so you can enter at A again. Instead turn from the rail still in the arena to come up the center line. I know someone who was recently eliminated for leaving.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Thank you! I just reread the test and saw it specifies leads so there's that question! LOL She's pretty darn good about her leads but you know babies!

I rode through the test a few times today and it seems to be smoothest if I come in on the right diagonal and just stay there, changing bend as Fooler suggested. I wasn't sure if the judge would care or if there was a "preferred" way to ride it. I need all the good marks on our walk/trot work as possible as her canter transitions aren't the prettiest! LOL At least she's cute as a button while she's scrambling to canter in the tiny dressage ring! :-D

Thank you so much for the help and the well wishes! I'm quite excited to see how she handles her first XC course! She's very brave at home but we'll see about the big scary obstacles in the middle of a foreign field! I'll be sure to report in with either laughter from our making complete asses out of ourselves or proud momma squeals of joy!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    . . .
    I rode through the test a few times today and it seems to be smoothest if I come in on the right diagonal and just stay there, changing bend as Fooler suggested. I wasn't sur e if the judge would care or if there was a "preferred" way to ride it. . . .
    At this level the judge is looking for forward, balanced and "straight". So use the diagonal that best suits your horse on that date. Understand as your training progresses and she builds strength the diagonal you choose will change.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Keg-A-Bacchus View Post
    . . .
    I rode through the test a few times today and it seems to be smoothest if I come in on the right diagonal and just stay there, changing bend as Fooler suggested. I wasn't sur e if the judge would care or if there was a "preferred" way to ride it. . . .
    At this level the judge is looking for forward, balanced and "straight". So use the diagonal that best suits your horse on that date. Understand as your training progresses and she builds strength the diagonal you choose will change.
    Courtesy my cousin Tim