The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default EcoGold Pad - Which one?

Alright-y
    After much pondering, I've decided to go with EcoGold over Mattes or Thinline.

Now - I'm getting two different pads. Definitely a XC pad, and a type of halfpad. As for the halfpad, I think i'm going to go with the EcoGold triple protection halfpad... BUT - there are many different shapes/types and i'm at a lost of which would be best?

It will be used under both my dressage & jump saddle. Due to my jump saddle having extra forward flaps I was thinking the eventing one? It has a more forward shape, but I'm wondering how my dressage saddle will sit on it. I'm sure some cother out there has one?

Much thanks!

Edit:
    This: https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info....pm8269a1d4k6t6

Or this:
    https://www.ecogold.ca/product_info....pm8269a1d4k6t6

Email them and ask. They have outstanding customer service.

FWIW, I have #780 and it's every bit as forward as it looks. But that works with my monoflap perfectly.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

I have the dressage style and use it with both my dressage and jump saddle. My jump saddle is an 18" with extra forward flaps, and it fits fine because the pad itself is so long.

BUY ALL THE ONEZ!!!!!

LOL. I have two -- my half pad is the regular one (not extra forward) and works fine with my jumping saddle. It's quite long, my jump saddle is also 18" w/ forward flap. Deep, deep love.........

I have the jumper style - the front of it is pretty forward and with a dressage saddle, I think it would stick out a lot. This is a photo of it on my horse. You can see the white of the half pad under the front of the saddle just slightly:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...44/ecogold.jpg

I second calling the company - they are awesome and will be able to point you in the right direction.

I will say that I absolutely love this pad. My horse goes so well under it and I notice a difference in how much less my back hurts after I ride.

Excellent, thank you guys. I emailed the CS and am waiting to hear back form them now.

I have the dressage one and it fits great under my dressage and forward-flap jump saddle! Best pad ever!!!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I got the jump one and it fits well under both my saddles. It does stick out a little more in the front of the dressage saddle, but I would rather that then not enough on my jump saddle

I have the half-pad that is a knock-off (Success Equestrian) that cost less than half and appears to be virtually the same thing.

Works very nicely for my sausage-shaped horse to keep everything (saddle, baby pad, horse's quirks) in position. I bought the "triple protection" one and it is WAAAY too thick and stiff for my taste.
    Click here before you buy.

I'm sure moontoosoon doesn't have any financial stock in EquineLux, either.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

3 members found this post helpful.

I have the dressage one and never again. It sucks up horse hair and saddle dye, so it always looks horrible. Yes, it did help with slipping, but that's a lot money for the other issues. I contacted their support and they said use a vacuum on it, except that did not remove all the hair, which show up as dark splotches on the top. The dye marks are pretty bad, too, and don't come out in the wash. I could try bleach, but they directions say not to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by moontoosoon View Post
    NONE!

Ecogold looks just UGLY BORING....
    FYI. I know that Ecogold experiences huge problems with products quality.
    So, be cautious when buying from Ecogold now. ;-)

There is another company on the market that produces similar saddle pads,
    but these guys make products of much better quality and more competitive
    in terms of the price - EquineLux.com

Moreover, these guys invented NON-SLIP half-pads, which are quite inexpensive
    and can be used in conjunction with ANY saddle pad or saddle
    for preventing it from sliding back and forth...

I second the Ecogold. I really like mine a lot. I have the forward flap version in black, and it fits my 18 forward flap perfectly.

I use this saddle pad for my monoflap:
    http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2...Category_Code=

Half the price of an Ecogold, great quality, and very similar to it's more expensive cousin. I've used both and am just as happy with the ECP, plus it is available in black so it won't look like crap after a summer of schooling in it.

I use a Thinline Trifecta half pad with it and love it because it offers great protection without the bulk.

I love my ecogold triple protection half pad. I've had mine for a year now in use 5-6 days of use and while it could do with a wash, it hardly shows any signs of wear.

I use it under my 17 inch close contact with a forward flap and my 18 inch dressage saddle. I'll check the size I have tomorrow.

I have three (3!) of them - the Triple Protection Half-Pad, and two of the no-slip shaped XC pads. In my defense, one of those no-slip pads was a gift from my saddle fitter friend for showing her these pads in the first place.

My friend owns Dynamic Saddle Fitting, and she did several pressure tests with her specialized pad and computer, and the results were amazing - the Triple Protection Half-Pad actually improved the fit of the saddle, each and every time, even those that were terrible in the first place. Now, I know that a pressure scan is only a partial picture, but it was impressive that it alleviated the pressure points in every. single. one. of her trials (trials were done with rider in the saddle, on a 20 meter circle, sitting trot). That's why she now sells them and that's why I scored a free pad.

I actually don't use my Triple Protection half-pad anymore because I use a Corrector pad instead, but I do use my XC pads (one in white, one in dark grey for xc) for competitions and schooling and they're lovely. I have a big-shouldered Trakehner who tends to be a pad spitter, and they stay in place while galloping and jumping. Yes, they're pricey, but if you can score one, they're lovely. Mine fit my forward-flapped Chiberta and Black Country beautifully, with room to spare.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I love my triple protection half pad (so does my pony I have the jump model and it fits both my 17" forward monoflap jump saddle and my 17" monoflap dressage saddle - covers everything and does not stick out too far on either. I did get black to make the dirt easier to deal with (& their white is ivory, not a true white)

recently got the ECP pad. Many of the people at my barn think it's the ecogold. I have been using it consistantly for a month now and love it!! Did not see much of a differance other than price.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEventing View Post
    Alright-y
    After much pondering, I've decided to go with EcoGold over Mattes or Thinline.
    I can recommend you this.

http://equinelux.com/half-pad-E304-B.php
    http://equinelux.com/saddle-pad-E102-W.php

Open-cell HR foam, 3D spacer mesh fabric PLUS merino sheepskin...

Reed more about memory foam here.
    http://5starequineproducts.com/resea...-pad-research/

Memory foam is another product that has just recently cropped up and is nothing more than a tight-grained open cell foam with low compression rating used in the mattress industry where impact applications are limited.

I know that I can be banned for posting other than eccogold links. But this is not the end of the world. I just wanted to expand your horizon of knowledge.
    Last edited by moontoosoon; Jan. 16, 2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: misspelling

I love my triple protection ecogold pad. I also have found the company very good to deal with. I like companies that support my sport and they do...so that together with a very good product gets my support.

I also have a xc pad that I like a lot (in royal blue). But the triple pad is great. Most of my saddles are a touch on the wide side so they help with the fit but still work great even on the saddles that are a closer fit.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I use the ventilated jumping pad because it makes a difference riding in my Wise-Air saddle. I am very impressed by how dry my guys spine area is compared to other parts after working in this combo. It is also very easy care and holds up to my horrible tack care habits. Of course, it isn't on their website. Customer service fabulous, products excellent, website - not so much
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!