The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blanket recommendations!!!

So the time has come for me to outfit my new mare for winter, before the chill gets here. I currently live in Gainesville Fl, and while we don't have snow, it does get pretty chilly here.

I need recommendations for:

-Stable blankets
    -Stable sheets
    -Coolers

I haven't had to outfit a horse in a LONG time, so I don't know the quality thats out there.

Rambo makes great stable blankets however I am not a huge fan of their sheets.

If you can afford it, Rambos really are the best. I prefer the Wugs.

I love the smartpak brand. They are affordable, fit nicely and hold up really well.

I'm sure that everyone would like a Rambo but they are so expensive!!!!!

So there are 2 brands for you, depending on your budget.

Rambos are the best and great customer service and warranties. But they are expensive. I have a Weatherbeeta freestyles hold up well and are cheaper as well as rhinos
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Depends if youre clipping...I do a Baker +/- Med Fill Weatherbeeta on really cold nights and a sheet or liner by afternoon. Honestly, I think that (central) FL is a PITA for blanketing...its in the 30s at night and 60 by 10am.. God forbid I get tied up with the horses at work and my horse at home is sweatin pickles by lunch...

Dover's Riders International brand stable and turnout blankets are very good quality for the price. While I love Smartpak for many things, their blankets are extremely sub-par compared to Dover's blankets. Trust me, I've had both. There is really no comparison. Which is too bad, because I really WANT to like Smartpak's blankets. I just can't. They don't hold up well, and the materials (particularly the leg straps) are not great.

I really think that unless clipping, the most you will need is a good sheet and a fleece (or 100 g fill) liner.

I don't know how cold it is there, but if it isn't cold enough to get snow, I couldn't imagine putting a stable blanket on a horse!

Oh, and go with Rambo, IMO the best fit and quality! I've also used Horseware's Amigo and Rhino lines and like them well enough. My guys don't fit well in sstack blankets (which is another popular brand) or Smartpak blankets.

I am with the others and suggest the Rambo Duo system. It comes with various weighted liners that you can switch in and out depending on the temperature. has definitely saved me on blanket expenses with a clipped horse and so easy for others at the barn to use in the evening.

While they are expensive, I think they are the best bang for your buck. they will last for a REALLY long time, I have friends that have had their Rambo Originals for 10-15 years and they look great!

If the Rambo's are a bit pricey, then I suggest the Amigo brand. I have several of their sheets and coolers and am really pleased with them!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Sorry everyone! I should have clarified, my mare will be clipped, and while it doesn't snow here, it can get into the 20s at night.

Now that I've heard the brands everyone partial to, what are the specific stable blankets/sheets, and coolers that you all love?? Thanks again!

Cooler-
    Centaur Turbo Dry - really works IMO (on Hue)

Weatherbeta Combo Cooler - has a neck which is nice Hue of course outgrew the one I bought for him so I have to buy a different one if I want one with a neck. (on Hue)

As for stable sheets/ blankets I have Baker blankets and love them. For sheets I have used Weatherbeta Continental sheets- of course none that will fit Huey so I am planning to get the Baker sheet at some point this year.

For turnouts I think Rambo is definitely worth the money. As I still don't know how Houston will be on this clothes he has a Amigo XL T/O turnout and an Amigo XL medium weight T/O blanket (scored on ebay)

I think that any Horseware or Baker item would be in my wish list.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Are the Baker Blankets really worth the price? I love the look, but whenever I had to blanket all the horses, those were always such a pain because they never stayed clean, ever.

The Rambo Duo system is the best. You can buy liners of various weights for whatever the weather is....from a lightweight fill to heavyweight. I'm in AZ and don't get the extremes in temps either, but this blanket is great to customize for the weather. The added bonus is using only one blanket shell for a whole season. The liners can be popped into a home washing machine if they get grungy.

I had the Rambo Duo for my last horse and I loved it but my BO didn't like it. She didn't like fiddling around with switching out the liner, she prefers that I have multiple blankets instead as it was easier for the barn help. I think there are 5 attachment points and it could be a problem if they all aren't attached. I used it for two years and never had a tear and it remained quite waterproof.

I've used the Dover Rider's sheets and they worked well for a TB with a normal size and shape. I did get some tears but they were easily patched.

My current horse has camel-hump withers and most blankets press and rub his withers. I've done well using an SS Tack sheet (the ones for TB's), and an Orican Freestyle medium with the high neck. My skinny TB was trace clipped and never got cold in the Orican.

In the spirit of the Duo, I bought a 100g liner from SS Tack that is shaped for high withers and I altered it so I can clip it into the Orican if needed to bump it up to a heavy. I think we only used it as a heavy twice last winter since the Orican really did a nice job on its own.

I use a Bossy's Bib to prevent shoulder rubs.

Depends on your mare's stabling situation. If she's in an enclosed barn, the heaviest you *might* need is a midweight stable blanket. However, like someone else mentioned, you could more than likely get away with a sheet (personally I prefer turn out sheets because of the shoulder room) and either a fleece or lycra liner.

My 15.1h Arab/QH gelding has a midweight V-free TO blanket from SStack that I LOVE, and it's his only winter blanket now that we've moved from freeze-your-ass-off-IL to sometimes-chilly-at-night CA. I have always had GREAT luck with Weatherbeeta blankets. I have one I need to repair (stupid dog chew the chest strap off) that was my old show horse's blanket for 5 years, and that was 5 years ago. The blanket is at least ten years old and was used every winter, and looks practically brand new other than the chewed strap. It's too small for my current horse though.

I have a heavyweight Weatherbeeta I left back in IL that is about 5-6 years old as well that my current horse tried very hard to destroy. It was a size big, but it didn't hurt. Two winters ago he somehow managed to crawl out of it and the only damage was a tiny tear along a seam and one cross surcingle ripped off. LOVE that thing.

I have a stable sheet from SStack as well. Cheap, simple, but very thin because it's not designed for TO. It's his show sheet only. I have a fleece cooler I got on ebay for suuuuper cheap that I've used a whopping three times. SStack has an assortment of them as well, and their waffle weave ones are really nice.

Landsdown from the UK. I ordered a cooler and turnout rug a few years ago and they are fantastic.

I love my Rambos, they have lasted forever and customer service has been fabulous any time I have had a question.

Quote Originally Posted by hequestrian View Post
    Cooler-
    Centaur Turbo Dry - really works IMO (on Hue)
    I have one of these and LOVE it! It also has a T-close front so that I can use it as an underlayer for the super cold nights.

I have been impressed with the Amigo blankets that I have seen, especially for the price.

As far as specific blankets, you'll need to take your horse's build into account to find something that is a good fit and will not rub. A blanket that works great for one horse can be a nightmare on another.

I really like the Schneiders (SS Tack) blankets. My Arab has a couple because we live in snowy Indiana and he's a weather weenie. My new mare will be getting a couple this winter as well.

Call them up and ask which ones will fit the build of your horse the best. Just because your horse measure X size, doesn't mean that size will fit the same in all of their blankets. They have something that will fit just about any body type though. The Arab ones fit perfectly on my boy.

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    As far as specific blankets, you'll need to take your horse's build into account to find something that is a good fit and will not rub. A blanket that works great for one horse can be a nightmare on another.
    I really have no idea why I didn't think to put this in earlier... Mare is a THICK WB with little to no withers. I recently tried on a Weatherbeeta turnout that was my old horses that fit her really well, a 78, so I'm thinking the larger fitting blankets like the Weatherbeeta will work best for her.

I know someone said something about the quality of the Dover blankets, but does that apply to all their blankets? Has anyone else had good experiences with their blankets? I really wanted to get their cheap stable sheet and possible a scrim from them, but will save it for something later if need be.