The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default UPDATE Post 9 JINGLES NEEDED-Arm Chair Vets- Help With Questions for Vet Appt....

Let me preface this by saying a call is already in to the vet to have them out asap today. I mainly want to get my thoughts and suspicions in order so I ask all the right questions...

Gelding spiked a high fever last night (105.3). He did this once before last fall, but a dose of banamine knocked it out in a few hours and it never resurfaced- we attributed it to him getting chilled in the rain when feeder forgot to sheet him. Flash forward to yesterday- I noticed lethargic behavior late afternoon, and when I checked temp at 7 he was high. Had elevated heart & respiratory rates as well. Dose of banamine, by 10 pm he was dramatically better and in safe range temp-wise. Arrived and checked this morning, and he's right back up to 104.7.

The only other symptoms to note are increased urination and general lethargic behavior. Seems to have normal appetite/desire for food; but I am withholding breakfast till the vet calls back. Horse has a history of being NQR, so I have suspicions but wanted to get some other input. Any thoughts??
    Last edited by babyeventer23; Sep. 21, 2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: j

Virus or tick borne illness would be at the top of the list. Jingles.

If the horse has a history of fever the first thing I'd do is run a tick panel (Lyme, Anaplasmosis) and start OxyTet asap.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Sounds like erlichia to me...

I am right there with you guys- blood panel for tick-borne illness was my first thought. Curious though Herbie, what do you consider a "history" of fever? This is really only the second time in about a year...

??

Don't like to say this, but EIA comes in episodes.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I would call two high fevers in less than a year a history now. High fevers are not normal.

Having dealt with what was diagnosed as a high fever of unknown origin (sigh) this spring, add me to the group that says start with tick things, rule those out.

Okay, looking for feedback on bloodwork. White counts are low at 3 3, platelet count low, and lymphocytes extremely low. Vets are perplexed because clinical symptoms aren't adding up...Waiting for a call back to determine course of action for the day. Any thoughts??

Prayers would greatly be appreciated for my boy...arrived at NC State last night; diagnosed with pneumonia due to bacterial infection. Has also developed a serious reaction to banamine...

Tomorrow will make 24 hours of iv antibiotics; should have a better picture of progress at that point.

Default JINGLES for Samson!!

Hope our sweet boy is back home soon!

Jingles!