The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bridles for Sport Horse Breeding Classes?

Hey all!

Opinions please: Is it appropriate to have a blingy browband for Sport Horse Breeding classes? Or should I stick with the plain leather?

Also, the class I am showing my boy in will be a mix of sport horses, not just by discipline, so at the moment I have a plain black bridle with no flash. Since he is geared towards being a dressage horse, should I use a classic bridle with a flash, or stick with the plain noseband?

So I need noseband advice as well as blingy browband advice!

Thanks!
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

I am not sure of the "correct" answer to this question, but for me personally I have black bridles with blingy browbands for my horses showing this coming weekend. Here is a picture of the bridle I am using... It isn't the most flattering angle or picture for that matter, but it gives you an idea of the bridle. I am curious to see what others have to say...

I go for subtle bling and this bridle has taken quite a few mares and fillies to wins in DSHB shows, championship classes and regional finals, as well as inspections and ridden dressage classes. It is a mixture of gold, amber and dark topaz beads on black leather. I am not a fan of white or unnaturally colored diamonds (rhinestones), except fairly quiet ones on a dark horse with no white on the face). But that is just my personal preference.

http://homeagainfarm.com/images/StanzaHedGA.jpg

I like that EEF....good luck at the show...

I like the bling...but I'm from Texas...and we tend to over do it a little...

My vote is blingy and Pictures of said bling....

SH

Thank you guys so much! My boy has an interesting white blaze so I will find a browband that isn't too loud but still has some flare
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

I showed my boy in the DSHB classes as a 2 year old. He's a blingy pinto oldenburg with a nice chiseled head, so I wanted a refined bridle with a bit of bling. I don't like big padded nosebands or flashes. I just bought a regular black bridle (not a dressage one) and put my nice emerald browband on it.
    You aren't judged on your tack in DSHB classes, it's all about the horses potential.

My boy won or came in second in almost every class he competed in as well as qualified for championships. (They don't hold the horses color against you either!)

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zqfqeu.jpg
    Cloverfox Stables

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPPED HER HALO View Post
    I showed my boy in the DSHB classes as a 2 year old. He's a blingy pinto oldenburg with a nice chiseled head, so I wanted a refined bridle with a bit of bling. I don't like big padded nosebands or flashes. I just bought a regular black bridle (not a dressage one) and put my nice emerald browband on it.
    You aren't judged on your tack in DSHB classes, it's all about the horses potential.

My boy won or came in second in almost every class he competed in as well as qualified for championships. (They don't hold the horses color against you either!)

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zqfqeu.jpg
    Gorgeous boy! Thanks for sharing Right now I have just a plain black bridle...I have this as one option: http://www.pinkequine.com/acatalog/D..._Browband.html

but I think this might be too much for him?

And then I have a less blingy browband that is more subtle...so now the choice between the two!
    Samantha Werner