The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default National Drive

Anybody going? Anybody ever GONE? We are going, with DH's new horse.

I'm thinking about it. I am brand new to driving... well, sort of. I did a little a couple of decades ago in high school. This summer, I have been breaking my sons' Shetland to drive. Things have gone fabulously and I'm considering trailering him over for the Drive (the KHP is 10 minutes from our farm). Am I crazy to consider taking him and my very not fancy 2-wheeled cart?
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

We are the same as you. DH just got back into driving after many years of not doing it. And very different now from what he did many many yrs ago. Just got a horse--OTStdbrd--a few wks ago. We are going so as to (hopefully) get started right.

Come on. We will be in the KHP. Spot #195. You won't be able to miss the rig. It will say CMR Farms on it. And of course Guthrie, OK. If we aren't there, leave a note somewhere. I have no idea how stabling, etc will work so have no idea how to tell you to find us in the barns.

It is the MOST fun thing you can do in harness. My mare and I have been driving for seven years, and we went for the first time last fall, and had and absolute *blast*. I'll go to the National Drive over a horse show or a CDE any day of the week.

And don't worry about anything fancy, if it's safe, it goes.
    I was a Pleasure driver for the first few years, and only had a huge, heavy, low-slung wooden meadowbrook that is too wide to fit in almost any trailer in the world...so last year I took my mare in her fancy show harness and a dinky little metal training cart because I didn't want to deal with traveling the meadowbrook up to KY. It was no problem at all. I did lessons in that cart, and drove all over the horse park. Like I said, you don't have to have any fancy equipment, just as long as your horse, your harness, and your vehicle is safe, you're good to go.

The vendors are fantastic, you can meet so many nice people, the clinics are fabulous, and the lessons, if you decide to do any, are great. I did one last year with Bob Giles and he fixed in five minutes some issues I'd been floundering on for a year.

Sometimes they have some CDE obstacles open for schooling, and that's *really* fun, in addition to an entire cones course set up in one of the outer fields.

And I'm just going on like an advert for the thing...but it is SOO much fun! Definitely worth the drive there, and more than worth the entry costs.

I'm Rachel Blalock, not sure of my stall number yet, but I'm stabling with Carole Moss. All the barns are in a few rows in one central spot, and it's easy to find stall cards with names. If you want to say hello, come on by, I'm always interested in meeting new driving people.
    And be sure to come to the Wine and Cheese get-togethers in the evenings, they are a great way to meet people and talk driving.

Default Well, maybe not...

At least not with my pony I see that the registration deadline was a postmark of yesterday. Oh well, at least I'll drop by for a visit and to see the vendors (need a whip). I guess I'll just have to drive around Masterson instead

Don't worry so much about the entry date, email Christy Warrington (email on the site) and see if she'll still accept your entry. Normally they are great about letting you register late, and I know that Laura Nuessle has been urging people to email and get their stuff in (even if it's late) on the CD-L. It's worth a shot if you're still interested in going.

Hoping I can go next year. This would be a great once in a lifetime thing for me.

Thank you Flopsy_Ponies, done and done!! She said no problem, please come join the fun

And you all will have such fun!! We had a whole COTH group at our first National Drive - hats and all! We're still friends with many and are sorry we won't be there this year. They usually have one water hazard open and we taught Phoenix to do water at our first Drive. And they always have a few hazards available, plus a cones course.

Each morning there's a briefing with coffee and donuts - but it's not necessary to attend. That's the beauty of it - nothing is mandatory other than the safety inspection: you can do as much or as little as you want. In the evenings Shelley Redkow of Kutzmann Carriages sponsors music, beer, wine, drinks and snacks - it's just one big party!

Mike Lyons and his crew go out of their way to make sure everyone has a great time. We've attended 5 times and each year just seemed to get better. Back surgery has curtailed my driving for the rest of the year but we'll certainly be there in spirit
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    I'm thinking about it. I am brand new to driving... well, sort of. I did a little a couple of decades ago in high school. This summer, I have been breaking my sons' Shetland to drive. Things have gone fabulously and I'm considering trailering him over for the Drive (the KHP is 10 minutes from our farm). Am I crazy to consider taking him and my very not fancy 2-wheeled cart?
    I wouldn't worry about your not so fancy cart but I think it could be a little over whelming for the pony being he is new to driving. It isn't fair to the pony nor the other drivers iof he gets scared and something happens. I would want a minimum of a year and some smaller events under my belt before going to a large event but for sure I would go and watch and learn.

Thanks for your concern China Doll. This is a pony who has years of parades under his belt, not to mention going out with hounds, etc. He is as bombproof as bombproof can be. Fortunately our farm is just around the corner from the Park. If he gives me any weird vibes, it is no problem to haul home.

Default It's a pretty quiet place really,

for such a large driving event. Except for the 4 in hands (which even some veteran horses give a big look at) you likely won't cause any trouble even if he's green. Let's face it, those big, open fields at the KHP are the perfect place, lots of room even if things get a bit hairy and lots of experienced people around and on the ground as well.

I have no driving horse at present, but have had the honor of "heading" for friends. Gets me a nice ride behind a nice horse in a beautiful setting.

I had planned to go but my mare sliced her leg and I don't know if she will be sound.

Next year for sure!

Hope your mare heals up soon, Zwarte! Maybe (luck on my side) I will see you there next year. I tentatively plan on going, assuming the stars align and everything falls into place...

We are leaving Sunday night after I get off of work so we get into the KHP during daylight on Monday. Hope to see everybody there!!

I plan to go someday next week (on foot/ no horse) and hope to get to say hi to anybody/everybody. have fun!

I got to take the kids down to the KHP today and it was so beautiful! Today started out so chilly and blustery, I wasn't sure if I should brave a day outdoors with the little ones... but we packed lots of layers and headed out... took back roads the whole way which was in itself- the makings of a beautiful day. It had warmed up considerably by the time we got there and it was great to see all the horses, ponies and donkeys (I can't say i saw any mules driven- but i did see one under saddle- as well as a bazillion Paso Finos)

My baby girl just LOVED the mini donks from Texas and she does a darn good be-haw now. (how she figured it)

I fell in love with a black Jack named Dobro.

I got to talk to a lady from OK whose husband had a STB, and I'm wondering if that was you Meghan (belated COTH high five if it was)

And I took this picture of the beautiful scenery of the beautiful day there... I wonder if Zwarte ever made it- this mare pictured here with the four white socks had a leg injury that didn't seem to be bothering her at all- so if this was you- I'm sure glad that the injury didn't prevent you from being able to be here and enjoy a lovely day like today. It seemed like lots of people were still rolling in- so it's bound to only get better and better.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...ket.beausbuddy

I did not take my lame mare to The National Drive, regretfully. I hope you all are having a wonderful time.

Darnit... I was hoping that was you and you had been able to make it. I hope she's healed up soon.

FANTASTIC day at the Drive today- so glad we came!!!!