The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trot eval

I am considering bringing home a project. This pony is of very theoretical breeding (meaning what was once stated can NOT be what he is, so he is ANYBODY'S guess). I have ridden him (he is green but VERY willing and sweet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1REQ...ature=youtu.be

I haven't worked with a trotting horse in a long time, so I am throwing myself on your mercy...what do you think of this trot? Would I be insane to consider taking this horse as a dressage/eventer pony project (if my son likes him, he could show him later, if not, then resell for a fun ammy horse)? *I* like his trot, think it is pretty free, but like I said, I am a lot more comfortable evaluating 4 beat gaits than trots.

Yes, if he comes home with me he will get the best dressage type start I can give him, regardless of where he eventually gets pointed...I guess what I am wondering is if you think he could do well in dressage with this basic movement? (Clear as mud, no?)

Nope, not thinking I have the next Teddy o'Conner here, but he does look fun!
    Last edited by TigersGlide; Sep. 16, 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link!

Am I not seeing the link, or is there no link?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

https://plus.google.com/photos/10840...24157950913873

Pics...just yanked out of the pasture (same as the video, to be honest). I know they aren't perfect for an in-depth confo eval, but they may help...

He is really attractive - I can see why you'd like him!

Not that I'm an expert in such matters but...his trot looks fine to me. After reading these forums, I think a lot of folks are more concerned about his walk and canter - as I understand it, trots can be made, getting a good walk and canter are much more difficult. I think the fact that he is willing and good tempered counts for a lot as well.

That being said, for what you want to do, he looks to have the fundamentals. Go for it!!!

I LIKE his trot. Just that short video would have me looking at him as a dressage horse. He's got a nice, open trot, separation of the legs, and nice use of his shoulder. I think with some good training and conditioning, he would be fabulous. That's a trot you can really improve.

And I love his color, too! I like the uphill look her has moving and in the still shots, and the neck coming up out of his shoulder. I think you have a diamond there.

Yes, walk and canter more important. But the trot he showed look nice.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

And I guess that's the thing- *I* thought that his trot looked stellar. I wish I could have gotten the video of his REALLY lofty motion (grin!).

I have, over the years, dealt with developing some VERY funky canters into good, balanced, drive from behind (some of the gaited horses I have ridden over the years have had VERY lateral and funky canters-my preferred method is to point them up a hill and boot them into a gallop. After they find their rhythm, then let them ease down and find a 3 beat canter. His canter looks good to me, and I don't have any concerns...I guess I just wanted a little encouragement that he does look good. (To think, me playing with a trotter again...after all these years!).

Cute guy. Nice trot.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

His movement and hind doesnt scream "I have a great canter in here" so I would have to see that but otherwise lovely trot
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

I don't know that he will have a great canter even with work, but I expect a *good* canter will be available...but then, I also don't consider him likely to go to a rider looking to do heavy competition at upper levels. My hope is that he will make a fun, reliable, flashy ride for someone, and let me get a feel for trot work again.

To be honest, I had NOT expected to like him at all, but when I rode him and felt him reach under himself at the trot, even with only a VERY few rides, I was impressed and thought he would be fun.

All that said, if you see him better suited to a different line of work, I am open to suggestions...

I think he'd make a nice lower level dressage horse. If the price is right and you just want to have fun and get back to it with a trotting horse and you feel comfortable with him go for it. Will he ever be a gp horse. Idk haven't seen other gaits nor ability really but lower level fun project he doesn't look bad.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Cool

How is his walk? Does he go forward freely, overtrack or just track up. That is frequently a key to the canter. walk and canter are harder to "fix", than the trot. His trot looks good for the very short far distant blurb we got.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Go get him! He's a fancy little guy, and it sounds like you're already smitten
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

He caps, maybe just a smidge more (I'd guess about 4 inches of overtrack when he is truly motivated).

Yes, very nice forward walk...he's very...I don't know, I always get the word "Game" in mind when I think of him...

I have NOT ridden his canter under saddle yet. Not sure he's ever been asked to do so (did I mention he is VERY green? <wink!>) But again, calm and willing.

i have done a few trotters of various types ages abilities and will say it can be done

so??? did you get him?? nice trot and great color...

Not the best trot, but not the worst I have seen. He appears to have good natural balance. I would consider the canter more heavily. After having a horse with a horrid canter then a second with an excellent canter I won't buy another with a crappy canter.

I like him! I bet his walk and canter are just fine. Looks like a lot of fun!