The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default shockwave treatment for ringbone

Has anyone had any experience using shockwave to treat ringbone? I've found a few threads that mention it in passing but nothing specific.

My horse came up lame the beginning of July and the radiographs showed a chip in the ankle and some high and low ringbone.

He had surgery to remove the (rather large) chip just this past Tuesday. Apparently it was bigger than it appeared on the x-ray and was causing some visible inflammation. So good that that's out.

The surgeon and my regular vet both agree that there is some ringbone in there but they don't quite agree on how extensive it is or what part of the lameness was likely caused by the chip vs. the ringbone. They are both highly regarded vets in the area and both think that with the chip out we have a chance to manage the ringbone.

My primary vet mentioned shockwave so I was just curious if anyone has used it, how successful it was, and what is the general cost?

At this point my asking questions is really just academic. Horse is on stall rest for 4 weeks followed by 4 weeks of small paddock turnout with a concurrent course of Adequan before I can even think about returning him to work. Gathering information makes me feel like I'm at least doing something other than cleaning his stall an extra time every day and doing bandage changes.

Not being able to DO something is driving me crazy.

Well, this is entirely anecdotal, but my friend's now-elderly (25+) dressage schoolmaster has been dubbed the "poster child" for shockwave. He has pretty gnarly ringbone and, for years now, when he gets sore, he gets shockwave, and is good to go for quite a while.....

It's non invasive, so if you can afford it it is worth a try. One treatment makes a marked difference for my friend's horse...
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

My nineteen year old dressage horse has ringbone and had a course of three shockwave sessions plus simultaneous course of pentosan. Went from a 3 lameness to completely sound for FEI dressage work for about six months then just slightly off for the first round of warm up. It was a little over a year before he started being slightly off in tight turns and shoulder ins so did another round of shockwave, just two sessions this time and pentosan and we are back to sound. He also gets Cosequin ASU. My vet has increased prices recently as I think they saw what other local vets are charging, but I think the first year it was $150 per round and he also included the SI as well as some areas of the poll/neck, which we only did for one of the sessions. Now I think it is $200 per session. He explained that he could inject the joint with steroids, etc, for less $$, but the effects would be much shorter lasting, with more deleterious risks, and in the long run more damaging. My vet does not have a call charge, so my costs averaged about $400-450 with another $150 per pentosan round. Smaller horse, so did 5ccs 1x per week for one month then once a month for six... No need for Adequan or Legend, and only a few days through the year where he needed some NSAIDS after shoeing.

PS. Some horses need TQ which mine did need for the time we shockwaved "all over", but he actually seems to really enjoy getting his feet done.

Thanks for the information. I'm on the opposite coast but that gives me at least some idea of the price range. I think it's something at least worth looking into. I hope I don't need it but it's another tool if he doesn't come sound. Poor guy has to feel somewhat better, that chip must have felt like having a pebble in your shoe that you can't get out.

Quote Originally Posted by candico View Post
    My nineteen year old dressage horse has ringbone and had a course of three shockwave sessions plus simultaneous course of pentosan. Went from a 3 lameness to completely sound for FEI dressage work for about six months then just slightly off for the first round of warm up. It was a little over a year before he started being slightly off in tight turns and shoulder ins so did another round of shockwave, just two sessions this time and pentosan and we are back to sound. He also gets Cosequin ASU. My vet has increased prices recently as I think they saw what other local vets are charging, but I think the first year it was $150 per round and he also included the SI as well as some areas of the poll/neck, which we only did for one of the sessions. Now I think it is $200 per session. He explained that he could inject the joint with steroids, etc, for less $$, but the effects would be much shorter lasting, with more deleterious risks, and in the long run more damaging. My vet does not have a call charge, so my costs averaged about $400-450 with another $150 per pentosan round. Smaller horse, so did 5ccs 1x per week for one month then once a month for six... No need for Adequan or Legend, and only a few days through the year where he needed some NSAIDS after shoeing.

PS. Some horses need TQ which mine did need for the time we shockwaved "all over", but he actually seems to really enjoy getting his feet done.