The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Owner? Parent? Or?

How do you refer to yourself and your pets? Are you the owner? Parent? Or something else?

In most situations I am the Owner. "Mom" just seems too cute and a bit delusional. But "Owner" also seems a bit cold and impersonal. Anybody use another term kinda in the middle?

Not a big deal, just wondering...

If anything, I swear they're my owner. They lounge around all day and tell me when they want to go out, tell me to put food in the bowl, heck the cat stares at the water bowl and won't drink out of it if the dogs did some back-wash in it so miss servant woman here changes the water for him. Proper term should be I'm their personal assistant.
    But really, I just go with 'owner' if I have to use a term. Sometimes I'll say "he's my boy" but not in the parent/child sense.

I am their person. They own me lol.

They ask for food, I give it to them. They sh*t, I pick it up. They totally own me.

I feel kind of awkward when our vet's receptionist calls me my dog's "mom".
    I hope she is not calling me the "B" word!

I'm their owner. If people think it sounds cold, they can spend 2 seconds with us and see just how warm the relationship is. But they are my property.
    "Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." ~Mal, Firefly

I love my dog a lot, but I hate the term "pet parent". I think it's another way for ARAs to guilt people into keeping unsuitable animals: "How can you give Poosie-snapper away?! You're his fur mommy! You are a BAD person to give your child up!"

I've seen it on some of the nuttier dog forums already.
    You are what you dare.

I don't like "mom" either. It's a little sappy. I like to use "human". I am their human.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Ugh. "Are you Bucky's mom?" No. I'm 5'4", not 17.3hh and 1300 lb. Thanks for asking though.

I call my horses "my guy/boy" or "my girl" (or "my horses") depending on which one I'm talking about, but definitely not in a maternal way. That just gives me the heebie jeebies.

My (human) mother got all bent out of shape because I happened to say something to my dog with "mom" in it. She was all "it's not a child, it's a dog" yadda yadda, like I was violating some deep religious principle.

I had to give her a sharp leash correction.

Really, I think I can tell the difference between a human and a dog. It's just an affectionate shorthand, nothing deep and sinister. IE, big hairy deal and get out of my space.

The line has become very very blurred for some people, and to me its detrimental to the dog. They are not children and become confused when treated like one. As much as we love them, they are not human. I am my dogs, cats, and horses owner. I love them to death, but I respect their own uniqueness as different species.

Staff. My duties range from cook to ear scritcher. Really, personal assistant sums it up pretty well, but they prefer the sound of "staff."

Quote Originally Posted by MelantheLLC View Post
    My (human) mother got all bent out of shape because I happened to say something to my dog with "mom" in it. She was all "it's not a child, it's a dog" yadda yadda, like I was violating some deep religious principle.

I had to give her a sharp leash correction.

Really, I think I can tell the difference between a human and a dog. It's just an affectionate shorthand, nothing deep and sinister. IE, big hairy deal and get out of my space.
    Agreed!

Legally, I'm their owner. Practically, I'm their mom. I feed them, love them, discipline them, clean up after them, and take care of them when they're well and when they're sick.

Quote Originally Posted by MsM View Post
    "Mom" just seems too cute and a bit delusional.

This absolutely.

Once in awhile i'll tell the dogs "go to dad" but it's a cue. I point when i say it and they go to my husband. It's simple short hand and nothing more.

I'm their owner. I love them dearly but i am not their mom and they are not (gag me) "fur babies." they are dogs and cats and i treat them accordingly.
    People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they're lost.---Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    This absolutely.

Once in awhile i'll tell the dogs "go to dad" but it's a cue. I point when i say it and they go to my husband. It's simple short hand and nothing more.
    "Go to dad" is shorthand, but using "mom" is delusional?

Double standard much?

I always say I'm my dogs' owner, not parent or mom. My (human) mom has started to joke/not joke (in the way that only elder female relatives of women of childbearing age can), referring to my dogs as her -sigh- 'grandchildren.' Sometimes she'll throw in a little laugh so we don't feel TOO bad for failing her...

When writing things about our foster dogs/rescue group, I use the term "foster parent" or "foster dad" even though it's a little cutesy for my taste when it comes down to it. But a lot of rescue people use that phrase, and it is more personal than "foster home" or "caretaker"....

We do joke, when we're leaving the house or going to bed, that we need to "lock the foster kids in their cages." Hehe.

The term "furbaby" is almost impossible for me to say aloud. I've tried.... Can't do it. Gross. There's a rescue around here with a similar name but I just... ah, hate the "fur-" attachment. it's too weird. Same with scale-baby. Makes me think of some very rare condition that you'd only learn about on those medical cable shows.

I like the term Guardian.

This is going to offend some, sorry, but when I see a poster with a name like "Horsemommy" or such, I have to wonder how desperate they were to find a suitable name to end up with that.

I myself feel a bit off at "Bluey", but that was the first of a good 20 names I tried, that all were already in use.
    I meant the blue birds that were playing in the yard right then.
    That is what we call them, not really anything cutesy.

Ah, y'all did remind me- I do have one command/trick for one of my dogs. I'll tell Scuba to "walk to mommy!" and he walks on his hind feet to me, but you HAVE to say it in a cutesy, over the top tone of voice, that's half the joke.
    When MrB does that command with him, he mumbles/warbles a high pitched, saccharine "Wallll ta mmm-mmeee" Cringing the whole time!

He could probably use only the hand signal by now... save his poor self some dignity.

Quote Originally Posted by lewin View Post
    I like the term Guardian.
    Now, "guardian" is a legal sticky wicket, not to be taken lightly at all!

No, you don't want animals to become anyone's charges in the legal sense that the humans then become "guardians".

As an attorney explained to me, if we did become legally our animal's guardians, animal rights extremists or anyone that wanted to take them away would petition the court for guardianship themselves if they thought we were not treating them right and we would lose "guardianship" of our animals, as Child Protection agencies can children.

Not such a wild idea, the way animal rights extremists can alter videos or stage them to make it look like any they want and have the money and attorneys to fight you to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I feel kind of awkward when our vet's receptionist calls me my dog's "mom".
    I hope she is not calling me the "B" word!
    you should ask her that!

I am the owner.

(ok, I am delusional, because we are talking about cats, right.)

I do refer to myself and DH as 'mom' and 'Dad' but that is internal when I talk to the critters.

I find it incredibly stupid to have stuff marketed to 'pet parents' but I am guessing their numbers are ever increasing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett