The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Waterless daily bridle cleaner

I have read past threads about daily tack cleaning recs, but I want to ask again, but with extra detail:

If I want water in the winter, I have to hold a bucket up to frost free hydrant. No matter how careful I try to be, I always get sprayed in the process. It comes out fast, it's hard to get the handle down with one hand...in all, a PITA that never works out well. So, I want something that I can use w. out water to clean my bridle. It was pricey for me & I want it to last.

I want something that isn't 1) too drying, nor 2) not sticky.

Considered Effax Leather Combi & Belvior spray, but worried that they are too drying for use everyday.

Wondered if glycerin sprays would be too tacky.

I dip her bit in her heated water bucket, so that is easy.

Last winter I tried to just rub dirt & sweat off the bridle with a towel. However, really doesn't get all of the dirt, & walking away from a bridle that is visibly dirty pains me.

It drives me nuts that there is dirt on her noseband b/c I curry the heck out of her face AND wipe her face/scrub some more with damp microfiber cloth before tacking up.

This post inspired by the other tack cleaning thread. For the record, I, too, love cleaning tack!

Passier Bridle Cleaner - just spray it on and wipe off the dirt. PH balanced and gentle enough to use every day.

I use Lexol wipes after I ride when I don't have time to do a thorough cleaning. My tack has been fine after years of cleaning this way
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I use effax everyday. It's not too drying and I only have to condition my tack a few times a year.

is there any reason you cannot take it home and clean it ? ... a bridle is so easy to transport

Why not dip a towel in the heated water bucket, too?
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

Horseman's One Step.

Quote Originally Posted by andy825 View Post
    Why not dip a towel in the heated water bucket, too?
    Or just prep a couple of washcloths from home - one with a bit of some kind of leather cleaner/soap in the water, one clean water (if necessary to wipe off cleaner/soap residue.) Leave them someplace where they won't freeze before being used - if that's a problem, get an inexpensive hot water bottle to bring from home also and wrap them all up together. Should keep them from freezing while you ride and hopefully even keep them warm enough so that you don't feel like you're freezing your fingers off when wiping down the tack.

Take 'em home with you, rinse out or wash, repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    I use Lexol wipes after I ride when I don't have time to do a thorough cleaning. My tack has been fine after years of cleaning this way
    Same here. Love them. I end up using two: one for the headstall and one for the reins. A little more expensive but love the convenience. Especially love that my tack doesn't get that "sticky" feel that sometimes come with certain "leave on" leather cleaning products.

Baby wipes
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Effax cleaner-conditioner. It's in a squeeze tube with the cap doubling as a hanger. Works GREAT!!! No water, softens and shines the tack. Use it every ride on my Micklem bridle, and it's soft and supple.
    Another owner of A Fine Romance baby who has grown up and joined the fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Horseman's One Step.
    I would never use this stuff again. Both the bridle and boots I used it on faded prematurely.

I love Tanner's, but I don't know where to buy it anymore. Another option is to mix some Murphy's Oil Soap in a spray bottle and just squirt it on a rag and wipe down the bridle. Super cheap, too.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Ditto to the Murphy's and Water in a spray bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by paint hunter View Post
    Same here. Love them. I end up using two: one for the headstall and one for the reins. A little more expensive but love the convenience. Especially love that my tack doesn't get that "sticky" feel that sometimes come with certain "leave on" leather cleaning products.
    The leather cleaning wipes in a can, like Lexol Wipes, available in the cleaning aisle at most grocery stores, are as good and WAY cheaper.

Leather New Foam

I use the little round sponges and after knocking the hair/mud off with a towel or brush, I go over my tack and boots with this. I also keep on at home for shoes and purses. One bottle goes a long long way.