The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quiessence vs Smart Calm

Does anyone have any success stories on either Quiessence or SmartCalm? I have been using Quiessence for a year and am wondering if SmartCalm would be better for my horse. He's a worrier. He's ok to ride but sometimes is sure there's something scary somewhere and other times he's perfectly fine. When he gets turned out, some days he's a nervous wreck and other days he's fine. Any info/input would be appreciated.

I had success with Performance Equine's MagRestore. Made a big difference in my guy. Also less expensive, I think,than those two .
    I also treated him for ulcers, and that reduced his worrying. he was the type who internalized a lot of stuff.....
    http://www.performanceequineusa.com/

I have a WB/arab mare who's like Jeckyll and Hyde-- some days she unflappable, other days the rustle of a leaf will send her bolting through a fence. I've never had any faith in calming supplements, but I figured I'd give them a go in attempt to curb my occasional frustration with my mare.

I put her on Quiessence in the spring. In addition to being a spook, she's also tense-backed and prone to weight gain with fat pouches. I saw no changes in her levels of spookiness, tenseness, or weight gain... which was both disappointing and surprising, since I thought she was the picture of a candidate for a Mg supplement.

I switched her to Smart Calm a few weeks ago. Right about the time I switched, she had an unexpected month off riding due to a combination of a bad abscess and my wedding.

In the few weeks she's been on Smart Calm, she's been almost comatose on the cross-ties and in her stall. I was about the write the product a rave review... until I got on her today. She was a total PITA under saddle, couldn't even trot a circle without spooking and bucking.

So, the jury is still out on whether or not Smart Calm is having any effect on my mare. I figure I'll give it a few more weeks with her back in work, then decide whether or not I want to continue paying for it.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I've had the same lack of affect with anything, as Texarkana. I've tried everything for my tense mare - apperantly she's immune to everything. I've stopped wsting the money.

My mare is a worrier as well. Treating for ulcers definitely helped with the spookiness, and she is still on the SmartCalm as well; I think it helps some, but I'm considering trying to take her off of it and see how much difference it's actually making after the ulcer treatment. I've never tried the Quiessence, so I don't have a comparison with that product.

I have my mare on Quiessence and there was a noticeable difference in her sensitivity to touch, etc. It has made some difference in her spookiness A couple of weeks ago she went off it when I sent her back to the trainer for a thirty day refresher before trail season. I picked her up and rode her this weekend. I can definitely tell a difference with her on and off Quiessence.

Not sure if it's the same type of thing or can be used long-term, but I had great success at a show with Total Calm and Focus. I used the paste, but you can order a powder for everyday use. (I have it but haven't started using it yet because not riding enough lately.)
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post

I switched her to Smart Calm a few weeks ago. Right about the time I switched, she had an unexpected month off riding due to a combination of a bad abscess and my wedding.
    Well, I hardly think any supplement is going to help a horse not be a bit frisky after a month off of work!

My horse is on SmartCalm Ultra to help with muscle tension (I have him on it for the magnesium). When he is not on it, his hindquarters visibly spasm and he is extremely upset about being touched. This tension sometimes makes it tough for him to even walk normally. When he is on it, he does not have this problem, and can jump around courses with perfect lead changes.

I would not say that it makes him less fresh or spooky or anything like that. He is still fresh sometimes, and not fresh other times. He still spooks sometimes, and not other times. In short, he is still a normal horse, and he is still himself. I don't think any supplement is going to change your horse's personality - all it can do is provide certain things your horse might be missing (like magnesium, and/or B vitamins) that could be causing a physical problem that manifests as a behavioral issue.

I have known a couple of people that have had success with Mare Magic... I haven't used any calming supplements on my guys, but a couple of ladies at the barn have used Mare Magic and swear by it. It tends to even out the temperament I think and regulate (that includes attitudes and spookiness).

Don't let the name fool you, it can be used on geldings too

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Well, I hardly think any supplement is going to help a horse not be a bit frisky after a month off of work!
    Oh, I completely agree. She's been turned out, so it's not like she's been standing in a stall like a coiled spring. I don't expect miracles from a supplement, but I guess my point is she was spookier than usual, even considering the time off.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I have not tried Quiessence, but my previous horse did a 180 degree personality change on SmartCalm. She had gone from a happy, people-oriented, opinionated but convincible horse to a grumpy, difficult to handle, fractious, opinionated and not convincible horse. The vet and I agreed that Magnesium and/or Vit B may have been deficient, so I tried SmartCalm and she because her normal, sunny, happy self within 3 days. The change was dramatic and obvious to everyone around her. She stayed on SmartCalm until I sold her and she never had a "relapse."

MagRestore has more magnesium than SmartCalm, but I don't think it has the Vitamin B that can also be a big help. Not sure if Quiessence has Vitamin B either?

Good luck

I started with Quiessence on my mare, and she got *worse*. Some of this was circumstantial (I'd just bought her, and turned her life upside down, and she was going nuts, which was the reason for a calming supplement in the first place. Add in major changes in riders, etc. and she needed *something* at least temporarily.) So ... took her off Quiessence and switched to SmartCalm, and she got much better. This was back in 2008.

I've tried taking her off SmartCalm since then, and have always gone back to it. Also tried SmartCalm Ultra, which didn't work as well as SmartCalm, so go figure.

She's a tiny bit hot, but behaviorally her biggest issue is distractability. SmartCalm helps with that.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine