The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Going by the photo alone that mare is NOT Sickle Hocked..they look perfectly normal...yes she may be a hair back of the knee but again factor in the surface/feet and photograph.

Do not judge the horse completely by that video, depending on the device it was videoed on and the speed of anyone;s computer server video's can be VERY deceptive.
    She travels like a tight fit racehorse...but shows tremendous promise and worthy of an in person look.

You can arm chair quarter back all you want, but like BFNE I look at 100's of OTTB in person yearly buy 1/4 of that and re-sell same. Use a photo and video as a barameter but if YOU like the horse and it rings your bell, don't let any negotive nellies deter you.
    Just do take a 2nd set of experianced unbiased eyes and get /a PPE.

As to gelding, it depends, track vets tend to be cheaper for the procedure and CANTER usually chips in $50.00..it can run from $175 - $500. I cut my costs by giving my own tetnus booster and having my own Penicillian for post Surgery follow-up and do own pre-op Banamine and I personally like to have the Pen on board before Surgery as well, but thats just me.

There is no guarantee any horse you buy will go to prelim unless its doing the job. Short of lameness or health issues a horse is only as good as the level its currently solidly competing at, and even then its only a guarentee on that given day when it finishes..

Hope for best and work with what you get...or sell it and get something else...

Good luck and let us know
    Please read Every. Single. Word. of jbrp's message above. Memorize it. Recite from memory on any roadtrip to look at new horses. Burn on forehead. Tattoo on arm.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

The 1st 2 the big chestnut and the bay mare the black horse doesn't personally float my boat.
    The 17 guy may have longish pasturns need to see him move and how the work.

The mare once the poultic is off give apperances of being 1 brick**it house!!!

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post

The mare once the poultic is off give apperances of being 1 brick**it house!!!
    Um... I'm not exactly sure what that means.. lol
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

She is solid looking tough and meant to last...I like her..EXCEPT there is ZERO way to see her legs under the poultice and paper which renders the photos absolutely worthless and why oh why the photographer event took the picture boogles the mind..if the trainer truly wants to sell the horse take 5 hose the crap off and re-apply when pics are done..grrrr

I emailed the owner of the Chestnut horse, here is his pedigree I may possibly go look at him soon, though he has someone else looking at him so he could sell.

ETA: I also found this horse, he's a cutie.. I think I might make a quick drive up to WY this weekend
    Eventers of the West

Horses in the Slew line tend to have awesome dispositions. I've also read that they aren't always the best athletes, but their great personalities make up for it in spades!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Slew O'Gold is just about the only Slew line that has produced International level event horses to date.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

oops the link on that edit didn't work, heres the horse in WY - he seems cute
    http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...source=message

That is good to know about Slew O'Gold... I am still learning pedigree stuff
    Eventers of the West

I know the second one (knew his owner).... I would be cautious and do a THOROUGH pre purchase. The horse was known for being a little... up as well.

Vineyridge, Sally Cousins' mare, Tsunami, is a Tsunami Slew daughter: http://www.pedigreequery.com/tsu+tsu+slew

I have found the line quite athletic. I had a Denouncer son that was on track to the upper levels when he was injured in a freak accident (not that he would have ever been an international horse since he was stuck with me).

I think they may be more athletic than people are giving them credit for. The ones I have known have great brains, but are not the quietest horses ever.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

If you're (or someone else) is still interested in Prince of Gotham I found a video of him from 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlUZw0Z8pc0

Quote Originally Posted by Sempiternal View Post
    If you're (or someone else) is still interested in Prince of Gotham I found a video of him from 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlUZw0Z8pc0
    Thanks for finding that! I can see he looks much better in that video than he does in the pictures
    Eventers of the West