The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like the 1st horse.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Thanks everyone for such great advice! I will for sure take a second opinion a very EXPERIENCED one with me to any horse I look at.
    I did find this guy on a local classified and he is only one hour a way from me, so I'm going to possibly take a look at him just to check him out. Here's his Pedigree
    Eventers of the West
    A Facebook group I created for Eventers in the West Region of the U.S.
    Remy - My OTTB Gelding! Love him to pieces!

Re the 1 hour horse, current owner's notion of horsemanship is soooo different from mine - if she's had the horse for x years, how much time do I need to spend finding the oddities in her program???
    Do you want a horse that is this green? It's easy for a horse that has nothing asked of him to be easy ...

OR did someone start asking & he got Not easy & that's why a car seems a better idea now ...

Seriously Alto...where are you coming ot going w/ that?? and needing a car over a horse you don't need is NOT wrong....

I know. I talked to a friend of mine about him, she says she probably wouldn't pay more than 1000 for him. I do think it is a bit suspicious that he doesn't have any photos of him being ridden.
    I don't mind a green horse... though he has no race record and I somewhat would prefer a horse that doesn't come with the "mental stuff" that everyone says OTTBs come with.
    But like I said, I'm pretty new to the whole OTTB scene.
    Eventers of the West

Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    I know. I talked to a friend of mine about him, she says she probably wouldn't pay more than 1000 for him. I do think it is a bit suspicious that he doesn't have any photos of him being ridden.
    I don't mind a green horse... though he has no race record and I somewhat would prefer a horse that doesn't come with the "mental stuff" that everyone says OTTBs come with.
    But like I said, I'm pretty new to the whole OTTB scene.

Some of the race stuff is very good...especially for event horses. They know how to gallop and have been fit. They have been clipped, manes pulled and most important....had a job. Work ethic is generally already installed. Hell, my current mare clearly had been trained off the farm...she came knowing how to stand tied to the trailer to get tacked up.

Yes...some can be a bit fried from the track...but most are not. Pros and cons to both but don't forget all the positive things that come with a horse who has raced....especially for a sport where the gallop is still important!
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Sep. 17, 2012 at 02:35 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Frankly I find far fewer mental issues than physical ones from my off track guys. Typically mine have had good ground manners and very kind personalities.

God save me from a big warmblood baby that was spoiled rotten. I find that far harder to straighten out than any OTTB I've had.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

JBRP _ I too, see them day in and day out and have been finding horses for people all over the country for years. I simply stated I thought the mare looks back at the knee. She looks the same in all of her pictures. I'm going to go take a peek at the video as I couldn't get it to work on my phone when I first saw this thread. Even if it is only due to the photos, to me....it would be something to have checked.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Quote Originally Posted by AUeventer View Post
    Side note on PPE's - I paid for a vet to do "the whole shebang" and he did the flexion tests at the end. Horse was trotting lame for like 5 minutes afterwards. Needless to say, did not buy (after xrays confirmed a chip). But could have saved a lot of money if he had done that first.
    Personally I think Fexion tests are useless. Many horses react to them - especially since vets do them differently. I go by the x-rays and the horse's history of soundness. This is true with any breed, not just TBs.

Default Late and Great

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Seriously Alto...where are you coming ot going w/ that?? and needing a car over a horse you don't need is NOT wrong....
    Little kid, no helmet, on a horse that has only had a saddle on maybe 6 times

Ad states that the horse moves very well but rather than conformation or movement photos, I see a horse being casually led around a round pen, no mention of vaccines, farrier, teeth etc ... an hours drive translates to a half day trip for me plus my second - & there is nothing in that ad that says anything, except she's a nicely spoken person.

Sell the horse/don't sell the horse - what in the world does this have to do with a car
    Horse for sale IS a complete statement.

Quote Originally Posted by witherbee View Post
    Fabulous new version of the website!!!

Quote Originally Posted by witherbee View Post
    they seem to have nice horses, though I can't figure out where they are located.
    (going more than 500 miles to look at a horse is probably not an option for me)
    Eventers of the West

Quote Originally Posted by KateMcCall View Post
    they seem to have nice horses, though I can't figure out where they are located.
    (going more than 500 miles to look at a horse is probably not an option for me)

Finger Lakes is a very pretty region in NY.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Fingers Lakes is a very pretty region in NY.
    oh jeez. WAY too far!
    Eventers of the West

Canter Colorado

You may be able to find relatively low cost trailering through the TB network or through COTH.

ETA you ARE looking at Canter Colorado
    Last edited by alto; Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM.

Let me elaborate now that I'm not typing on a phone...

In none of the 3 photos is she standing correctly behind. I am very critical of hind end confo right now after paying $2000 for one round of IRAP hock arthritis treatments for an 11 year old mare with a similar back end and no history of hard treatment. We're looking at long term expensive maintenance.

Pollyann is a big girl to be on such light bone. Once she loses that tucked up look she's going to even bigger.

She does have a lovely sloped shoulder with a high neck set and high point of shoulder. She should be able to get her front legs well up and out of the way while jumping. Good length of humerus for extension of the gaits, and not much of her weight in front of the front leg, making it easier to collect and lighten the front end. A bit short in the neck, but you weren't looking for a hunter so it should serve you just fine. A+ for the front end until you get to the knees and from there down she is very fine boned. For me, that's a red flag. Good length and angle to the pasterns.

I still don't like her back end and she looks a bit short behind in the video (she is on what looks like a very hard surface though). If she stands like pic #3 in person, under herself, something is wrong. Her LS joint is too far behind her point of hip which is going to be a weak point and predispose her to injury there (hunter's bump). That placement causes a longer, weaker loin that will make it more difficult to get collection and power from the hind quarters. The low stifle is good and means more flexibility to get the hind legs out of the way over a big jump. She's by no mean totally fugly back here, but there are areas where she is less than ideal and they will affect how easily she is able to collect and propel herself upward. The rearward LS placement is common in TBs, less common in breeds purposely bred for dressage and jumping. So there are tradeoffs... as we know eventing requires the speed and agility of the TB so ideal conformation is a bit of a compromise.

Pictures can be deceiving but the OP asked for a conformation critique. No horse is perfect, some are closer than others. Personality, bravery and "try" is more than half to 3/4 of the equation and can make up for a lot of faults. I'd check her out in person but be very critical of the SI area, ankles and hocks.

gypsymare what a lovely post

I also like some things about the Pollyann mare- her neck has a great shape, she is made uphill, lovely shoulder and hip.

What I don't like, is that she appears back at the knee. I'd have to see her in person, as JBRP suggested, but that's a red flag for me, personally. Add that to the fact that she is not substantial of bone (she looks tied in at the knee- there is simply not as much area for tendons/ligaments to actually attach) and I'd probably pass if I were HONESTLY looking for a Prelim eventer.
    Now, if I were looking for a horse that I knew I'd go BN and N on for sure, and probably also T, and MAYBE Prelim with...I'd go look. Personality, trainability, is a BIG factor especially if you are planning to do this yourself, for the first-time OTTB'er. "No vices...sweet to be around" is worth a lot!

I also noticed that in two of the photos, the mare has her upper lip sticking out just a tad. I'd look at her teeth, for sure, in person during a vet check. If her teeth aren't quite aligned right you would need to really keep up with the dental work. But the teeth might be just fine- I have a mare with great teeth who sticks her upper lip out when she's thinking hard about something, it looks a bit like this mare's expression.

The one I like from the photos is Gotham Junior. I don't know that I'd try starting out with a colt, I'd want him gelded for a month or six, if I hadn't handled stallions before.

So I wanted to restart this thread because I am still in the market and have my eye on a few horses. Just wanted advice conformation-wise.
    I really like this guy, and I am going to email the owner next week. He looks pretty good to me, but I am not an expert.
    http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ings&Itemid=61

here are a few others I wouldn't mind looking into
    http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ings&Itemid=61

http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=397
    Eventers of the West