The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    Here is the result from St. Louis last night:

1. Hunter Holloway
    2. Caroline McLeece
    3. Kristin Lutz
    4. Katherine Woodruff
    5. Savannah Talcott
    6. Kaitlyn Alsup
    7. Barbara Ann Merryman
    8. Emily Hartley
    9. Landrie Folsom
    10. Bethany Bolan
    11. K C Thomps0n
    12. Blair Julia Wright
    13. Mackenzie Clark
    14. Reily Reiker
    15. Colleen McKenzie

31 riders competed. They were brought back in three groups to flat, and then the top six tested again.
    I was there, too. Don't have my notes handy at the moment but here are a few impressions. Judges were Geoff Teal and Mary Lisa Leffler, by the way.

The course was very twisty, and a lot of the fences were natural; there was a whole zig-zag line of post-and-rails down the middle of the ring. Looked very Derby-ish, actually! (As they're doing two at the show this isn't surprising, and I know I saw quite a few of these Maclay horses and riders in the 3' Derby Friday night). I thought this was really interesting for a Maclay class, AND a good development.

Having said that, though, the fence that caused the most trouble was #2, a not-unusual stone wall. Lots of chips, refusals and even deer jumps there. It definitely took a skilled rider to make this course look smooth so I think it was a good trial. I only saw one rider who was a jumped-loose trainwreck from start to finish, and made me wonder how on earth she qualified.

I mostly agreed with the groupings for the flat phase, and I thought it was nice that they allowed everyone to come back. I was surprised that the judges didn't ask for any extensions - they will certainly be asked at Finals. Nobody moved up from bottom group but I think one or two did from second group. I picked the top three as called back to test from the high group, so I was pleased with my eye. Question: whatever happened to making them drop their stirrups and post the trot for a lap or two? Used to be a common feature in the flat phase.

The test was hard, harder than the last two I've seen (two years ago, IIRC, there was no test, which I thought a shame). All the jumps were arranged in a zig-zag down the middle of the ring. Went like this:

- Counter-canter a jump
    - Hand-gallop to next jump (a long ways, about half the ring)
    - Canter a jump
    - Halt
    - Counter-canter a jump
    - Trot the stone wall (lowered to 2')
    - Sitting trot, then walk out

The first rider made a complete hash of the trot jump, barely trotting and then knocking it down, and the second rider also barely trotted. This surprised me since surely they practice these plenty - maybe just not walls? Also no gallops, and one lost a counter-canter out of these two. Last four to test did much better and Hunter Holloway really nailed it, which moved her from second to first place. I especially liked her gallop, but she had a text-book trot fence, quiet halt and authoritative sitting trot.

[Side note: Hunter's mom Brandi had won the $25,000 GP earlier, so it was quite a day for the Holloway girls!]

Interestingly, all 31 of these riders were female this year. Guess our three or four boys from this Region have aged out.

Good luck in KY, ladies!

Awesome to hear such detailed results! Can't wait to watch in Kentucky!

A couple of the girls on that list are definitely East coasters... Who are they riding with to ride in that Regional?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    A couple of the girls on that list are definitely East coasters... Who are they riding with to ride in that Regional?
    You can compete in any region as long as you obtain the number of points for both your home region and that region, whichever is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    You can compete in any region as long as you obtain the number of points for both your home region and that region, whichever is higher.
    Ah, I thought you either had to use your own address or your trainer's address.

Either way, I always think it's curious every year to see which kids from competitive regions pop up in less competitive ones for regionals.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hasahorse View Post
    Here is the result from St. Louis last night:

1. Hunter Holloway
    2. Caroline McLeece
    3. Kristin Lutz
    4. Katherine Woodruff
    5. Savannah Talcott
    6. Kaitlyn Alsup
    7. Barbara Ann Merryman
    8. Emily Hartley
    9. Landrie Folsom
    10. Bethany Bolan
    11. K C Thomps0n
    12. Blair Julia Wright
    13. Mackenzie Clark
    14. Reily Reiker
    15. Colleen McKenzie

31 riders competed. They were brought back in three groups to flat, and then the top six tested again.
    My daughter is 8th.

Either way, I always think it's curious every year to see which kids from competitive regions pop up in less competitive ones for regionals.
    I wouldn't say that Region 5 is less competitve, Sarah Milliren in 2011 and Hayley Barnhill in 2010 won Region 5 Maclay Regionals and went on to win the Maclay Finals in Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderWriter View Post
    I was there, too. Don't have my notes handy at the moment but here are a few impressions. Judges were Geoff Teal and Mary Lisa Leffler, by the way.

The course was very twisty, and a lot of the fences were natural; there was a whole zig-zag line of post-and-rails down the middle of the ring. Looked very Derby-ish, actually! (As they're doing two at the show this isn't surprising, and I know I saw quite a few of these Maclay horses and riders in the 3' Derby Friday night). I thought this was really interesting for a Maclay class, AND a good development.

Having said that, though, the fence that caused the most trouble was #2, a not-unusual stone wall. Lots of chips, refusals and even deer jumps there. It definitely took a skilled rider to make this course look smooth so I think it was a good trial. I only saw one rider who was a jumped-loose trainwreck from start to finish, and made me wonder how on earth she qualified.

I mostly agreed with the groupings for the flat phase, and I thought it was nice that they allowed everyone to come back. I was surprised that the judges didn't ask for any extensions - they will certainly be asked at Finals. Nobody moved up from bottom group but I think one or two did from second group. I picked the top three as called back to test from the high group, so I was pleased with my eye. Question: whatever happened to making them drop their stirrups and post the trot for a lap or two? Used to be a common feature in the flat phase.

The test was hard, harder than the last two I've seen (two years ago, IIRC, there was no test, which I thought a shame). All the jumps were arranged in a zig-zag down the middle of the ring. Went like this:

- Counter-canter a jump
    - Hand-gallop to next jump (a long ways, about half the ring)
    - Canter a jump
    - Halt
    - Counter-canter a jump
    - Trot the stone wall (lowered to 2')
    - Sitting trot, then walk out

The first rider made a complete hash of the trot jump, barely trotting and then knocking it down, and the second rider also barely trotted. This surprised me since surely they practice these plenty - maybe just not walls? Also no gallops, and one lost a counter-canter out of these two. Last four to test did much better and Hunter Holloway really nailed it, which moved her from second to first place. I especially liked her gallop, but she had a text-book trot fence, quiet halt and authoritative sitting trot.

[Side note: Hunter's mom Brandi had won the $25,000 GP earlier, so it was quite a day for the Holloway girls!]

Interestingly, all 31 of these riders were female this year. Guess our three or four boys from this Region have aged out.

Good luck in KY, ladies!
    Thanks for the recap. I could not be there to watch and now I have an idea of how the class went.

PonyPenny - congratulations to your D!

I was wondering about that too - because isn't Kristen Lutz /w Heritage Farm? And her dad Peter Lutz who himself trains in NY? Although maybe there is another girl with the same name... Always possible

Quote Originally Posted by RanchoAdobe View Post
    Zone X
    Winner: Alexis Graves
    2nd : Hannah Von Heiddegar (another 14 yr old)
    3-Morgan Gellar
    4- Haley Webster
    5- Sydney Hutchins
    6- Sophie Simpson
    7- Savannah Jenkins

I'm lost after 7th
    Congrats to Sav! Beautiful rider and a great kid.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    I wouldn't say that Region 5 is less competitve, Sarah Milliren in 2011 and Hayley Barnhill in 2010 won Region 5 Maclay Regionals and went on to win the Maclay Finals in Kentucky.
    I'm from Texas originally, so I'm definitely not maligning the region... But you simply cannot compare it to the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Janeway View Post
    I was wondering about that too - because isn't Kristen Lutz /w Heritage Farm? And her dad Peter Lutz who himself trains in NY? Although maybe there is another girl with the same name... Always possible
    Peter Lutz has a daughter?

Kristen's father is Danny Lutz, not Peter, who runs a barn with her mother, Karen, in NY.

She decided to ride with Don Stewart this Fall.

I always wondered about that myself MHM but figured in this day and age anything was possible!

My bad but I always thought she was Peter's daughter - made a wrong assumption based on the last name! Is there any relation at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Piggiejump View Post
    Kristen's father is Danny Lutz, not Peter, who runs a barn with her mother, Karen, in NY.
    Thanks.

I've been trying to find the numbers accepted to finals last year. I know it was about 60%, but does anyone know the exact figures for each zone?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Big congrats to Barbara Ann Merryman! She has a gift and I'm so happy to see she's doing well.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Can't wait to watch finals! Missed it last year because of my wedding. Poor planning on my part lol.

Regarding the cutoff, my understanding of St Louis anyway was that the top 10 move on to the finals.