The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New Tekna S-Line Jumping saddle arrived!

So I've been ordering a bunch of Tekna products lately. Figure 8 bridle, reins, stirrup anti-leathers (straps maybe?) front/hind boots, but today my saddle arrived.

I decided to go for Tekna because I wanted something gorgeous (it is!) and low maintenance (it's that too!) not to mention inexpensive (especially that) Seeing the saddle for the first time in person, I have to say that I absolutely love it! It's gorgeous! The material is so unique and so NOT wintec like. It honest to goodness looks like leather. Most probably wouldn't be able to tell unless they touched it. Photos coming soon, photobucket is currently staging a coup d'etat.

Major "doh!" moment: in my excitement to see how the gullet change system worked, I forced my husband to go through the mini ordeal of disassembling the saddle and installing a medium wide gullet plate only to look at the original gullet plate an hour later and notice that it too was medium wide. #facepalm.

Gullet change system is not as easy as I had hoped. We struggled with the clips. On the demo video it looks so effortless, just a slight turn of the wrist and voila! Not so. Or at least not on a brand spanking new saddle. It wasn't terribly hard either, just had to wiggle things around a little bit.

Can't wait to try it on the moose!
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

JustWorld International Ambassador!

Smile

Ooooo please post pics very interested to see this live (don't you hate how saddles never look the same as the stock photo like EVER?!?) have fun!!
    Good things come to those who wait!

Super interested in seeing how it fits your horse, and what kind of back it fits best on. I have a growing 4yo, have seen the Teknas and love them in person, and am strongly considering one as an option for her until she figures out when she's going to stop growing.

Here are the first two pictures I took (one was instacracked ) I'll take some more today in daylight when I drop them off at the barn, along with photos of my Tekna bridle so you can see the color. It is a lovely deep brown- not orange at all. The photos online do tend to look a little lighter, but I looked at the boots in person to verify the color, and it's true to them. Deep, dark brown.

My mare arrives on Tuesday, so I'll try it out then. I have the medium wide plate installed, and she is a pretty true medium wide. We'll see. I'm not the best at saddle fitting so I'll have my trainer take a look.

I can't say enough about the material. It really does look like leather, but it's not slippery like the Wintecs are. I think it will be difficult to slide out of this saddle (which is something I've been doing pretty frequently thanks to my weak re-rider legs)

http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/...36/New%20Tack/
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

JustWorld International Ambassador!

Gorgeous saddle! I know this thread is from ages ago, but I was just wondering whether you still have the saddle and if so hows it going? Am interested in buying the most recent version of it with the easy-change gullet system and Im not sure about it... Is it comfy? And are the panels curvy/shaped or are they more flat? Thanks so much!!

I have an older (i.e. 3 or so years) Bates Caprilli saddle with the gullet change and CAIR system. After the first time, changing the gullet is no problem - when the saddle came new, the screws were really, really tight and took some real effort to undo, but now it's no problem.

My saddle is very comfortable and the panels are a little curvy. I would like them to be more curvy so they followed the shoulder more, but you can't have everything, and they provide plenty of room for shoulder movement.

I've gone through three different gullet widths in the last year as my horse has filled out (Medium to Medium Wide to Wide), and the saddle has adjusted with no issues. I had a saddle fitter out last week just to make sure, and he said there is no reason for me to change my saddle and that it's holding up fine.

All in all, I paid $1,200 three years ago during a 50% off sale for a brand new Bates Caprelli close contact saddle (looks like this one at saddle source http://www.saddlesource.com/used00000511.html ) and couldn't be happier.

Does the tekna s line have front and back blocks? I can't find pictures anywhere!
    Yes, I ride a pony. No, he would not be ideal for your child. No, he is not a re-sale project...