The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rain sheet?

I moved to a different barn over the summer and wanted to go ahead and start looking at a turnout blanket for my new boy for the winter. I asked the BO/trainer what her preference was as far as blanketing and she said that she liked to have a medium weight turnout and then a mesh lined rain sheet to layer with in case we had a cold snap. So now I'm looking for a mesh lined rain sheet and I can't find any that aren't under $200. Is this normal? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing, as most of the ones that I have found are for ringside at a show, not turnout. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I'm thinking that surely my trainer doesn't expect me to spend $200+ on a turnout sheet, but maybe I'm wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by mep0726 View Post
    I moved to a different barn over the summer and wanted to go ahead and start looking at a turnout blanket for my new boy for the winter. I asked the BO/trainer what her preference was as far as blanketing and she said that she liked to have a medium weight turnout and then a mesh lined rain sheet to layer with in case we had a cold snap. So now I'm looking for a mesh lined rain sheet and I can't find any that aren't under $200. Is this normal? I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing, as most of the ones that I have found are for ringside at a show, not turnout. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I'm thinking that surely my trainer doesn't expect me to spend $200+ on a turnout sheet, but maybe I'm wrong...
    Have you considered buying used? I've gotten some really nice pretty much new used blankets recently for a fraction of the cost.

Is there some specific reason for needing a mesh lining? There are plenty of rain sheets with nylon lining at the give or take $100 mark. There are a few Amigo rain sheets. They seem to be only 600D though.

The really good rain sheets do, unfortunately, cost about $200.

I've managed to go my whole life, 4 horses, without owning a mesh lined turnout sheet. MUST it have mesh? If not, the Rider's Brand 1200 turnout sheet is good bang for the buck.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Personally, I like the mesh lined sheets ok in the fall, but in the spring the shedding hair makes the mesh lining a nightmare. I think you'd be just as well-served with a nylon-lined sheet. If you go the mesh-lined route, I like Dover's North Wind, for nylon-lined, I like Amigo's 1200 line. Good luck!!