The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy Saying goodbye to old kitty friends

Been a rough month. Lost a stray long haired tortie that turned up on the front porch 13 years ago-as an adult- a few weeks ago. Probably 15ish.
    Just yesterday lost a 17 years 4 month old Blue Point I have had since it was 6 weeks old.

They both told me clearly when it was time, I was with both of them at the end and they went quickly and quietly. Both healthy to the end although the old Blue Point was failing and on basically hospice type care for the last few weeks. Still sucks.

But it's too quiet around here with just 2 kitties...and they are quite subdued. For Siamese anyway.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I'm so sorry that you have a "cat-shaped hole" in your life.

Perhaps it is premature, but there is an ample supply of cats out there that you could use to plug that up right quick.

I have just one old lady high maintenance cat now. I don't think I could stand being without a cat. It's different when you still have a few cats left versus the "And then there were none" scenario.

I'm sorry for your loss.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Thank you MVP.

I actually have something lined up to fill that hole. Not ready to come home until Nov and that is perfect timing wise.

So it's not premature to suggest it, I knew both those old gals were on the way out but losing both so close together has been a blow.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Default So sorry!

I'm so sorry! I've said goodbye to several over the last 5 years and it's always hard. Right now, I have a 13 yo flame point that has been on fluids for 1 1/2 years and was diagnosed with kidney issues 3 years ago. Every time her appetite drops I worry. Sending hugs for your loss.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Im sorry. They are never "old enough" to go, but sounds like you gave them a wonderful life. Hugs to you.

I am so sorry for you. Them being ready to go rarely coincides with us being ready to let them go, so even when it is time, it still sucks.

I'm so sorry . I have two turning 12 year old "sisters" that I bottled raised together from a few days old each. I love them and could not imagine days without them. Anyone willing to find a cure for time ?
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Default Thoughts and prayers and tears and hugs for the family left behind ~

Thoughts and prayers and tears and hugs for the family left behind ~

I am so sorry ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Thank you MVP.

I actually have something lined up to fill that hole. Not ready to come home until Nov and that is perfect timing wise.

So it's not premature to suggest it, I knew both those old gals were on the way out but losing both so close together has been a blow.
    The other solution is a demographic one: Stagger the ages of your kittehs. But I really like having exclusively young or old cats, especially at the old end. It's nice to see these guys not looking over their shoulder for the whippersnapper.

And kittens like to have a whole frat house of other kittens with them.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

MVP, I was going to disagree with your until I read the last sentence, then laughed and had to agree.
    My 19 yr old goes to the vet tomorrow for the last time, she can't even get up off her bed. She stopped eating. It's so frustrating, NOW she sits quietly for the full amount of her subq fluids. But she wont eat. She ways less than 4 lbs.
    And she is such a soft kind cat, never ever killed anything, but brought in live butterflies and birds and came to find me and tell me about them( I've handled a lot of really mad birds, catching them in the house and releasing them).
    Attila the Hun, surviving cat is super nervous without her protector. But she now just walks by her, it's like dead man walking. Cats are like that, they ignore a cat that is on it's way out.
    Sorry OP.