The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smelly Helmet

So, my helmet has gotten a funky smell to it from sweating and more sweating. I don't know how to get the smell out! I feel like my head smells like BO when I take it off. I've tried baking soda inside of it but it still smells. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to how to get even some of the smell out?

I have heard of people putting them in the dishwasher, but that scares me and I have never done it.
    They do sell specific helmet deodorizers you could try

Dryer sheets work wonders. Also if you are not already, keep the helmet out until it dries fully before putting it in a trunk/locker/bag.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

They make helmet deodorizing sprays, but basically you need something to kill the funk/bacteria thats causing the odor. Try a water/white vinegar mix in a spray bottle. Spray the helmet and leave it out to dry. The vinegar smell WILL vanish given enough time. You could even add a small amount of peroxide to the mix, but I would be hesitant to use peroxide on fabrics because it may bleach it.

I use a 50% isopropyl spray about once a week, and always let it dry before I put it away, and mine never smells.

I stopped with the dishwasher after I ruined my Tipperary schooling helmets. I wash my CO in the sink with shampoo periodically and let it dry completely. In between times I put it on a shelf-not in my trunk with one of those bag odor eliminators inside of it. It is a mesh bag of small volcanic rocks that is used to hang in closets to remove odors. It works a lot better than the big box of baking soda I used before.

Newspaper.. put newspaper in your helmet after every ride. And rubbing alcohol. I spray twice..once on the inside front and once inside back. Then stuff with crumpled newspaper.

Edited to say: leave newspaper in until the next time you use it.
    Last edited by doodleLIcode; Sep. 14, 2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: additional information

I use Charles Owen helmet cleaner, when I bother. A big help - a Damp Rid packet on the inside of the helmet, leaving the helmet upside down with the packet inside. It dries the helmet and helps with the funk.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

The dishwasher works great if you put it on the top shelf of the dishwasher and just use the normal wash cycle but NO HEAT or DRY........ take it out and let it air dry. There will no smell at all and will last a long while that way. Ive done it several times with my helmet and I know several others who have done it as well. Just remember no dry cycle or you will melt it

Quote Originally Posted by horseladi78 View Post
    The dishwasher works great if you put it on the top shelf of the dishwasher and just use the normal wash cycle but NO HEAT or DRY........ take it out and let it air dry. There will no smell at all and will last a long while that way. Ive done it several times with my helmet and I know several others who have done it as well. Just remember no dry cycle or you will melt it
    Yeah, the dishwasher worked great on my GPA. I don't have a dishwasher in my current apartment, but my CO is getting rank. Might try the vinegar trick.

I swear by the CO helmet cleaner and helmet deodorizer sprays. They saved my schooling helmet after a ride in the rain then my helmet was closed in my trunk for 2 weeks due to horse's unsoundness. It stunk and I was on the verge of throwing it out....then a friend lent me the cleaner and it made a dramatic difference!!!

I got the cleaner and deodorizer spray on a whim when they were on sale at a local tack store. I was pleasantly surprised--they worked great and were super easy to use. I got them half off, but even full price, they're not that expensive.

I'd definitely use the stuff recommended by the manufacturer before I'd run it through a dishwasher. That seems fishy.

Thankfully mine has a removable beanie so when it gets really rank, I can just pull that out and toss it in the wash.

With my old helmet, I'd take a 5-gallon bucket, warm water, blue Dawn dish soap, white vinegar, and baking soda. The helmet would soak for a few minutes in a sudsy solution of the water, soap, vinegar, and baking soda. I'd use a vegetable scrubber on any of the interior plastic parts and the chin straps, and a wash cloth on any fabric bits. Rinse well then let it soak again in a bit of warm water/vinegar, then let it dry in a breezy spot.

DO NOT use the dishwasher. This will in most cases void any warranty you have remaining on your helmet. Charles Owen makes a helmet cleaner and a deodorizer. Get a bottle of each. I sell a ton of them. You can find the product at most tack shops that are a stocking Charles Owen dealer. They really do work.

I also use the CO Deodorizer. Personally I would not put mine in a dishwasher because I'd be afraid to ruin it. I also use those Headline It liners to absorb the sweat and they work great. Also air dry out in the tack room vs tack trunk.
    "But if you buy them as ponies aren't they cheaper?" - Favorite non-horse person quote.

Spray it with Lysol

A friend of mine has told me that she'll put her CO in the dishwasher. Not frequently, just before shows. Hers still looks fine on the outside. Can someone explain how using a dishwasher compromises the safety? Is it the heat?

I was considering doing this with mine when the time came for a serious cleaning. I always leave my CO out of the bag after each ride and let it air out in my house for several hours. No smell yet and the helmet's about 8 months old. I use the brush attachment on my vacuum to suck off any dust and a damp washcloth to wipe off scuffy looking marks.

Quote Originally Posted by num1train View Post
    DO NOT use the dishwasher. This will in most cases void any warranty you have remaining on your helmet. Charles Owen makes a helmet cleaner and a deodorizer. Get a bottle of each. I sell a ton of them. You can find the product at most tack shops that are a stocking Charles Owen dealer. They really do work.
    Void the warrenty? Really unless you tell them, they wont know. The guys at CO are not going to look at it and say "yep, this one has been in the dishwasher" no new helmet for you!

Ive run mine through the dishwasher before not having a house with a diswasher. Its fine when it comes out.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by alternate_universe View Post
    A friend of mine has told me that she'll put her CO in the dishwasher. Not frequently, just before shows. Hers still looks fine on the outside. Can someone explain how using a dishwasher compromises the safety? Is it the heat?
    The padding on the inside could be degraded in some way by the heat or the detergent or some other part of the process and because of the way helmets are constructed, it wouldn't actually be visible. But when something happens and you need the protection, it doesn't absorb as much of the force it's supposed to or maybe the harness connection points are weakened or...

It's not a risk I'd take with a helmet, personally. If you have to have an expensive one for shows and keeping it clean is an issue with daily riding, I'd buy a less expensive one to do most of my schooling in, particularly in the summer when it's most likely to get sweaty and gross. Then make sure the helmets have plenty of opportunity to air out completely before being closed up anywhere - not ideal, but better than risking compromising the structure of the helmet so that it might not do the job in a fall.

The CO deodourizing spray works like a charm - I used to spray it on after every ride, and then throw my helmet in my tack box still wet, no problem. Unfortunately, it is no longer available here in Canada anymore (I've heard from tack shop owners something to do with the label and not meeting some code to cross the border or somesuch??) - so I'm looking for an alternative that doesn't break the bank and actually works!

I am another who wouldn't put a helmet in the dishwasher if you actually want it to perform to expectations when you need it to