The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Anti-dressage?

I was lucky enought to be able to take my 13 y/o OTTB PSG dressage horse to a jumping schooling show yesterday, and we did the cross rail jumpers. She was nervous when we went in, so I did one tempi down the long side (it calms her down) she chilled and we and a good round, but the audience practically booed us out. Is the jumper ring usually this anti-dressage? Should I not have done that?

Quote Originally Posted by coconino View Post
    I was lucky enought to be able to take my 13 y/o OTTB PSG dressage horse to a jumping schooling show yesterday, and we did the cross rail jumpers. She was nervous when we went in, so I did one tempi down the long side (it calms her down) she chilled and we and a good round, but the audience practically booed us out. Is the jumper ring usually this anti-dressage? Should I not have done that?
    It's not that we are anti-dressage. I think Dressage is great, and I think it is a great tool. Most of us do! However, I think doing one tempi's down the rail could be seen as a little "showy", and I could see where some might get a bad taste in their mouth for you as a competitor. I could also see if you went off course doing your one tempi's and continued on, how the crowd would be annoyed.

Personally, I wouldn't have done the one tempi's. I would have done something else to try and calm down the horse. However, my horse doesn't do one-tempis and we generally break to the trot to relax during schooling rounds.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
    It's not that we are anti-dressage. I think Dressage is great, and I think it is a great tool. Most of us do! However, I think doing one tempi's down the rail could be seen as a little "showy", and I could see where some might get a bad taste in their mouth for you as a competitor. I could also see if you went off course doing your one tempi's and continued on, how the crowd would be annoyed.

Personally, I wouldn't have done the one tempi's. I would have done something else to try and calm down the horse. However, my horse doesn't do one-tempis and we generally break to the trot to relax during schooling rounds.
    Ah. I didn't think of it as showy, it was intended as calming for her. Next time we will save it for outside the ring.. We stayed on course though, so thats not it. We did them before we started.

Ignore them and if need be find a different show series to attend that has more friendly people.

It's crossrail jumpers for crying out loud.

20 members found this post helpful.

some people might have also been questioning a horse that can do one tempis showing in the cross rails. Most people would probably think that a horse schooling at that level should probably be showing at a higher level than that. Fair or not, I can't say, but that's how it might have appeared to some.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

27 members found this post helpful.

People need to enter their horse in whatever level they think makes sense at the time. Whatever works is what happens.

OP, you likely got booed because the spectators perceived you to be at a much higher level than other people in the class. They may have thought you were sandbagging.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Timex View Post
    some people might have also been questioning a horse that can do one tempis showing in the cross rails. Most people would probably think that a horse schooling at that level should probably be showing at a higher level than that. Fair or not, I can't say, but that's how it might have appeared to some.
    We started "jumping" to help with her elevation, but did the show for fun. There is no way we are going any higher, 6" is bad enough. I think I will stay where I am. You jumpers are crazy

6 members found this post helpful.

Are you sure they booed you? I've honestly never been to a horse show and seen anyone really booed before.

28 members found this post helpful.

Who sandbags in a freaking crossrail class?

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Are you sure they booed you? I've honestly never been to a horse show and seen anyone really booed before.
    Unless they were cheering with a sound that began with b and ended with ooo... and I got some real mare glare after. I was surprised they are still letting me come back

1 members found this post helpful.

In many venues, the crossrail classes are for young kids on ponies or very beginner riders. If an adult rider were on a PSG horse, the perception would be that they are way over everyone's level. Although going over some jumps is a totally different thing, not everyone will perceive it that way.

I've been to shows were adults and kids were in the same class and heard parents talking about how it was "unfair" for their child to be competing against adults. other. I've even had people at work ask me why they have this problem at shows. Then I tell them well I have to compete in open classes against pros all the time, it's just part of showing if the management decides to not split the class.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Who sandbags in a freaking crossrail class?

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Oh it happens. My sister got booed out of a pony halter class and it was devastating to her. She had a nice hackney pony and was 12. Apparently everyone thought this class was for tiny kids to show their fat, hairy ponies in hand and was basically a "fun class." My sister's pony wasn't friendly so we tied a red ribbon in her tail. A tiny little kid trotted her pony up my sister's pony's butt and nearly got kicked... Then my sister who was obviously older than all the other kids, and obviously had the nicest pony won the class. They freaking booed the entire time it took her to walk from the rail to collect her ribbon and walk out of the gate... A freaking 12 year old kid... *off my soapbox*

OP, I agree with everyone else. They probably figured you were showing off. Screw them.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OveroHunter View Post
    Oh it happens. My sister got booed out of a pony halter class and it was devastating to her. She had a nice hackney pony and was 12. Apparently everyone thought this class was for tiny kids to show their fat, hairy ponies in hand and was basically a "fun class." My sister's pony wasn't friendly so we tied a red ribbon in her tail. A tiny little kid trotted her pony up my sister's pony's butt and nearly got kicked... Then my sister who was obviously older than all the other kids, and obviously had the nicest pony won the class. They freaking booed the entire time it took her to walk from the rail to collect her ribbon and walk out of the gate... A freaking 12 year old kid... *off my soapbox*

OP, I agree with everyone else. They probably figured you were showing off. Screw them.
    poor kid. My old pony was the same way, was never defeated in confo classes but was constantly screwed up by ignorant children.

I do think there's a sportsmanship issue at stake here. 1-tempis look like showboatery, no matter who does them. I'd be surprised if there weren't other exercises that provided better suppleness and relaxation, although I do know that asking for quick-fire changes can get a horse's focus back on you.

Now it's also poor sportsmanship to boo someone, but you can't control others. Just you.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by coconino View Post
    We started "jumping" to help with her elevation, but did the show for fun. There is no way we are going any higher, 6" is bad enough. I think I will stay where I am. You jumpers are crazy
    OK, now you have given me reason to be anti-dressage!

You are a guest in the house of jumpers, coming there to use their show for your own purposes (and that's fine). But while there, don't bad-mouth your "crazy" hosts.

And as a H/J rider, I wouldn't have known that tempi changes were doing a calming job for your horse. I, too, might have guessed that you are there to wow us, we being crazy and riding unbroke horses out of control and all.

After all, I try not to speak disparagingly of dressagists While I Am At Their Show! And you know the rest of stroller-pushing world visiting the house of dressage for some novelty could have a criticism or two of the people in that sport.

ETA: I understand that you are jumping to improve your dressage horse, for dressage. And while I think you are/should be welcome at any horse show for which you are eligible, maybe this means that the people showing in Dinky Jumpers are there to compete, for realz. And I *know* dressagists would get right snippy when the shoe is on the other foot: What would you say if I brought my hot, forward jumper in all his regalia to a dressage show and proceeded to warm up in the schooling ring along side our other training-level horses with all of the fire that's acceptable for that kind of horse in his usual venue? Bet yer butt there'd be a thread about how I was being disrespectful of other people's very serious horse show, and me screwing up their very, very important training level ride.

FWIW, I would have assumed that a small show and cross rails would have meant this was fun and everyone was OK with a little chaos. That's how schooling show were when I was a kid. Having taking my green horse to some now, I get a different vibe: These non-rated shows often come in series with awards banquets at the end. This *is* WEF for the people who make them a fixture on their calender. My "crashing" their for a minute party with a green horse isn't on the menu for them. And I respect that. What it costs to jump up to big shows where one might have grounds for wanting serious behavior from competitors is so much that these people will never go there. But they want to be competitive somewhere.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

Really? I think that was a joke or maybe a bit of "you guys are crazy to jump things like that!!!! bit of awe" Don't get your breeches in a bunch.

Seeing such an advanced horse in such a tiny over fences class I would assume that the owner is a giant chicken exploring a new sport and would've applauded her efforts to not only find all the fences but not barf in the corner.

At a recent show I attended a friend of mine competed in a GROUND POLES class on her recent purchase, the horse had been showing at about 3' 6" a few months ago. She won the class and not a single person booed her. She was an older adult ammy who was afraid to canter in an open field thanks to some previous bad mounts and to see her out having fun was very moving.

Some people are just nasty.

32 members found this post helpful.

Really? I think that was a joke or maybe a bit of "you guys are crazy to jump things like that!!!! bit of awe" Don't get your breeches in a bunch.

Seeing such an advanced horse in such a tiny over fences class I would assume that the owner is a giant chicken exploring a new sport and would've applauded her efforts to not only find all the fences but not barf in the corner.

At a recent show I attended a friend of mine competed in a GROUND POLES class on her recent purchase, the horse had been showing at about 3' 6" a few months ago. She won the class and not a single person booed her. She was an older adult ammy who was afraid to canter in an open field thanks to some previous bad mounts and to see her out having fun was very moving.

yah, it was a joke mvp. Easy! Saying I am a giant chicken is an understatement, and I did puke before hand Fortunately there was only 4 jumps, I was clinging on for dear life by the end. It was scary

11 members found this post helpful.

Having been that kind of rider in similar situations before, this is what I would have assumed as well. But to some people, DO NOT, for the love of God, attempt to "steal" ribbons from tiny children!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Having been that kind of rider in similar situations before, this is what I would have assumed as well. But to some people, DO NOT, for the love of God, attempt to "steal" ribbons from tiny children!
    I for one don't have a problem stealing ribbons from adorable children. You have to be like TWICE as good to beat a kid on a stupid cute pony and if you do manage to beat them it teaches them important life lessons for the future.

If you are worried you can always show unjudged.

22 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by see u at x View Post
    Who would do such a thing? I did not even place... boo. We had enough time faults even the judge was cringing...

6 members found this post helpful.