The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default help me look like an A circuit hunter rider!!

I picked a trainer today! I'm so excited and even better, aside from the a circuit, she also goes To AQHA shows. Which is awesome because I've always wanted to rodent mare in AQHA shows! Her barn is one of the most amazing barns I've ever been to. I'm used to showing and riding on a budget because I've never made a lot of money, but I finally have a job where I can afford nicer things and this barn makes me want to look the part! I'm so excited, but I have no idea where to start! My first mission is to find a nice winter "barn" boot. Not something I'll be riding in, but something I'll be doing my grooming and tacking in as well as pulling my horse in and out of the pasture. It gets sloppy here so, I need something I can trudge through mud in. I really like the river boots, but spending $500 on a mud boot really kills me. I can afford it, but... I don't want to. So I ran across the solstice boot. They are on sale right now for $100 at smartpak. I will most likely wear them outside the barn too because I am that girl that lives in leggings (yes, I know they aren't pants, but I don't care!). Anyone have them and love them? Pros and cons of the boot?

Also, I'm gonna need some lesson wear. All my breeches are cheapys and I'd really like some nice schooling breeches. Maybe 3-4 pair. I also don't want to spend over $100 on breeches, but if someone swears they are worth it and will last, I'll do it. I tend to make my things last anyway (one pair of $35 breeches I've had since I was 13... I'm 25 now). I'm short, 5', with a short waist and longish legs. I know I want some that are low rise because they end up being mid rise in me.

Anything else you think I should wear, go! I'm sooo excited!!!!

Just want to point out, what might be in style for AQHA people may not be the same for what's in style for hunter/jumper people.

Anyhoo, I really like my Hunter rainboots for mucking around. $100 and you can buy inserts if you're in a real cold area.
    -Kendra
    *Every horse, at least once in their life, deserves to be loved by a little girl*

6 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for pointing that out! Right now I'm just buying schooling things. If and when I compete on the AQHA circuit, I'll ask my trainer. She is primarily a hunter jumper, she just happens to have a strong back ground in AQHA and still attends those shows. It's not a quarter horse barn.

Thank you for the advice on the winter boots. I think that's what she was wearing today when I met her and that's what made me start looking! Thanks!!

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't recommend Hunter rain boots if you are going to be wearing them a lot, my feet get so hot and sweaty in them. OTOH I live in my DuBarry's, I wear them at the barn and everywhere else including to work and with sportswear. They are very expensive but their Goretex lining makes them 100% breathable (and waterproof)even in the most humid weather.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are the complete waterproof? From bottom to top?

Entirely waterproof including the leather. You will see eventers wearing them while they stand in the middle of water jumps on cross country when they walk the course, judging the depth of the water jump. There are lots of waterproof boots around but I don't know of any others that have a Goretex lining which gives the breathability and waterproofness plus the leather is also waterproof. They are easy to care for too and mine are at least 7-8 years old, maybe older.

I also really like my Ariat insulated, waterproof leather paddocks too, I have gone through two pair.

Oh thank you!! I had no idea they were complete waterproof! That makes them worth the money! Don't they make fleece like inserts for them?

Have you looked at the Dublin River Boot (SmartPak has them)? They are a Dubarry knock-off that is less than half the price. Dubarry does make various liners for their boots.

There are tons of breeches threads on here that can give you some ideas on the popular options. If the SmartPak Pipers fit you, they are less than $100, and SmartPak frequently has 20% off sales on them.

I would also resist the urge to buy too much in advance - once you start riding at this barn you will get a feel for what the norms are there and it may give you some ideas of what you would want and not want.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyHunter View Post
    Have you looked at the Dublin River Boot (SmartPak has them)? They are a Dubarry knock-off that is less than half the price. Dubarry does make various liners for their boots.

There are tons of breeches threads on here that can give you some ideas on the popular options. If the SmartPak Pipers fit you, they are less than $100, and SmartPak frequently has 20% off sales on them.

I would also resist the urge to buy too much in advance - once you start riding at this barn you will get a feel for what the norms are there and it may give you some ideas of what you would want and not want.
    The Dublin looks like the DuBarry's but doesn't have a Goretex liner and if you read carefully I think only the foot of the Dublin boot is waterproof, the rest is water resistant, big difference. The breathability of Goretex keeps your feet cool in humid weather which is a big plus in the summer in my area, it may not be the case where the OP lives. But it also means your feet are warmer when they don't sweat then cool off leaving feet cold and damp.

No matter what boot I wear I only wear one pair of SmartWool socks underneath for warmth during our New York winters but I believe DuBarry sells various liners for their boots.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks BAC - that would certainly explain the price difference, lol!! And would make a HUGE difference in wet winter weather!!

I currently have Dubarry boots, but before spending all that money I thought I'd save and get the Dublin boots. Within 2 years the lining was ripped and falling out (and my feet were constantly getting tangled in it, I had to create a special technique for getting them off!). The Galway boots are much warmer and more comfortable, I live in them at the barn and running errands unless it's really hot out. Definitely worth the cost, and they will last many years longer than the knock offs.

For schooling breeches I love the Pipers, have a small collection going and none of them have even started to wear out yet (I think my oldest pairs are over 2 years old?). Can't beat the price, either.
    "It's great that you have a favorite animal, but how about picking a cooler one like a horse? Or a miniature horse?"

I tried on the dublin boots just today and i was told they were waterproof up to the first horizontal band, and water resistant above that.

Not as impressive as the Dubarry, perhaps, but significantly better than just the foot being waterproof.

I have the Dublin boots and I love them. It is very wet where I live, and I need something that is waterproof for getting my horse in and out of the pasture, as sometimes I am wading through a puddle that grows into a pond like body of water-- and my Dublins have never failed me. Easy to clean as well, and comfy enough and stylish enough ( when clean) that I have worn them to work with skirts several times. I have never had a problem with wet or too hot feet-- love these boots.
    A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I guess I'm a darn hick, because I use Muck or Bog boots when traipsing through the mud and wet to fetch my horse at the barn. I can't imagine spending hundreds on a "rubber boot"...and can't wrap my mind around those Dubarry/Solstice type boots getting muddy, poopy, urine-y. Blech.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

12 members found this post helpful.

Thank you guys!! Great information and I'm going to look into the piper breech! Any more advice is welcome!

I would seriously wait and see. Fashion varies widely by barns. You could pick up a nice pair of Tailored Sportsmans, a nice belt, and a fitted polo for your first lesson. But I wouldn't buy any expensive gear beforehand - just set aside the money in a savings account for now. If every other rider at the barn has Dubarry's, and you care about having the same gear, then you're going to kick yourself for buying the knockoffs. At some barns, Muck Boots are the popular footwear. Just don't get too ahead of yourself!

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I guess I'm a darn hick, because I use Muck or Bog boots when traipsing through the mud and wet to fetch my horse at the barn. I can't imagine spending hundreds on a "rubber boot"...and can't wrap my mind around those Dubarry/Solstice type boots getting muddy, poopy, urine-y. Blech.

You can just take a hose to DuBarry's to knock the muck off and they are NOT rubber, the exterior is entirely waterproof leather. I have muck boots too and like them a lot.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    I tried on the dublin boots just today and i was told they were waterproof up to the first horizontal band, and water resistant above that.

Not as impressive as the Dubarry, perhaps, but significantly better than just the foot being waterproof.
    If you read Smartpak's description it says only the foot is waterproof and the leather shaft is water resistant.

I would go more for a pair of sorel boots or north face boots. But it can get quite cold up here and I need my feet to stay warm. I've never been particularly interested in matching everyone else, though! I agree with Calvincrowe-why on earth spend that kind of $ on boots made to work like rubber boots? Just get rubber boots! And a sweet pair of fluffy winter boots and still not have spent as much! Rant over-sorry! I would, however, spend my money on things that really do look sharp( and maybe it's those Dubarry Boots, lol!) like plain white baby pads that are clean, fresh polo wraps that aren't too big that match your horses color-as in black, gray, white or even brown for a chestnut, nice quality, clean bridle. Add onto that a spotless, gleaming horse with a trimmed mane and you are set! If your horse is beautifully turned out with understated equipment, you will be taken seriously. If you come in with crazy neon colors and Ill-fitting tack, not even Dubarrys will save you!!JMO! Good luck in your new adventure! It is so exciting to be moving to a new barn

5 members found this post helpful.