The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IEA considered recognized in IHSA??

I'm a college freshman trying out for the IHSA team.. I rode in 2 IEA shows in the open division then stopped because of a family emergency. Other than that I have no recognized show experience, would that disqualify me from any divisions in IHSA? I heard from one coach that IEA doesn't count as recognized in the IHSA world so since i didn't show in recognized shows i could be in adv wtc but another told me that since I showed in open IEA the lowest IHSA division I could be in is intermediate. HELP!

Can you look in the rule book or website? It's out there someplace and more reliable then internet advice or conflicting opinions from coaches, one of whom needs to review the rule book as well.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Here's a link to the rulebook:
    http://www.ihsainc.com/rules/rulebook

As per your question:

8102 Specifications for Placement of New Hunter Seat Riders

A. Hunter Seat Riders

1. Walk-Trot riders are those who have had no more than 24 weeks of mounted instruction and who have not competed in a mounted competition which required them to canter or lope. Walk-Trot riders have two years of eligibility starting with their initial completion of the online individual membership form.

2. Walk-Trot-Canter riders eligible for class 2A are those who have had more than 24 weeks of mounted instruction and who have not competed in a mounted competition that required them to jump more than eighteen inches. Once the Beginning Walk-Trot-Canter rider has accumulated 18 points, s/he must move to Walk-Trot-Canter Hunter Seat Equitation (2B). Walk Trot Canter riders eligible for class 2B are those who have not competed in any over fences class higher than three foot (3’) in any competition, nor have those 2B riders competed in any recognized competition.

3. Novice riders on the flat are those who have won no more than five Hunter Seat equitation classes on the flat in recognized competitions. Novice riders over fences have won no more than six classes in any over fences class three feet (3’) or higher in recognized competitions. To be eligible for Class 4, Novice Equitation over Fences, riders must have had at least six months continuous professional instruction over fences within the past year.

Recognized competitions:

8100 Eligibility for Classes

8101 Definitions

A. Recognized competitions

Recognized competitions for Hunter Seat riders include any competition that is sanctioned by the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) and the United States Hunter Jumper Association(USHJA); or by the USEF and the United States Eventing Association(USEA); or by the USEF and the United States Dressage Federation(USDF).

Per the rulebook's definition of recognized competitions, IEA does not count so you should be good to go.