The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Oh! That's OK.
    I just couldn't understand your reaction, it seemed a bit extreme.

Writing an article bemoaning the lack of money, though, doesn't create it.
    This is so true. In the same vein, I doubt blogs like CH's before the Olympics begging for sponsors are very effective either.

Sponsors and supporters need to be inspired, not guilted into standing up. Difficult to do and requires some creative thinking rather than hissy fits.

I thought the AG article was overly negative and somewhat defensive as in- not my fault! I said we shouldn't go! Every little pony clubber knows it is bad sportsmanship to be a poor loser.

Realistically, only a handful of countries can come home with a medal in dressage in any one year. USA has never been a threat for more than bronze, and this year Britain made a big shot at it. As we all know if you're 4th in the Olympics you might as well be last. I can appreciate the feeling of frustration that a medal isn't in play, but then you look to it as a rider-building event - taking your up-and-coming talent and getting them experience that may pay off in future success. The 'taking part' is important.

It is the Chef's job to develop the best possible team with the resources given. It's fine to say, "If we had more money, I would do X,Y, and Z, and I think we could give the Dutch a run for their spot" but she misses the next step, which is, "Because we don't have more money, this is my cunning plan to build the best team we can...."

well said.
    Last edited by Crockpot; Oct. 7, 2012 at 06:20 AM.

Default AG announced her retirement 11/30/12.

You knew this had to be coming.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by pony418 View Post
    I can't believe she said she can't name four potential combinations even for the next Weg....PARAGON?! This horse is truly international caliber, Carl Hester was even quoted as saying it was the one horse on the international scene he would most like to ride. I felt like it was a complete insult to Heather--her horse wasn't quite ready this year but in 2014 he should be peaking! And how about Catherine Haddad?! Lives and competes in Germany for 20 years and gets barely a nod of recognition from the US federation. And has an amazing new horse!! Meanwhile, we put Germans who came to America on the team. How about some respect for Americans who went to Europe? Heather and Catherine are truly competitive, with no national system to back them up, and apparently Anne Gribbons doesn't even know they exist.
    She doesn't know how to play well with others.
    “Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.”

"W" is cool but he's not a medal horse at least not in the current company.
    “Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free til they find someone just as wild to run with them.”

Quote Originally Posted by Peace View Post
    She doesn't know how to play well with others.
    who? Anne or Catherine?

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    who? Anne or Catherine?
    Most likely both but Catherine is not in charge so if you are willing to speak your mind and sometimes with an edge understand cause and effect. It would be lovely and a perfect world if unenlightened egos didn't play a part but we don't live in that world.

Anne Gribbons has resigned at coach/technical advisor of the US dressage team

I have a lot of respect for Anne, but it seems like she wasn't enjoying her position as Chef nor seeing a path where she would feel successful. Kudos to her for recognizing that and choosing to stand aside. I hope the next Chef will be able to build on the work Anne has done.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by poltroon View Post
    I have a lot of respect for Anne, but it seems like she wasn't enjoying her position as Chef nor seeing a path where she would feel successful. Kudos to her for recognizing that and choosing to stand aside. I hope the next Chef will be able to build on the work Anne has done.
    ^^^^This^^^^

Can we show a little class and gratitude and just say 'thanks?' The job had tremendous commitment requirements.

I did not think the article by AG was whining. It was the wakeup call we need if we want to keep up.

If you don't like the message (from someone who has BEEN there,) don't kill the messenger. Examine the message and learn from it.

Regarding the CH blog, that too is a point of view to give information from someone who is walking the walk. No one is going to agree 100 percent all the time, but deserves a chance to put their $.02 in.