The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    It does not help with the 'how to' discussion of training technique. Ideally, all the riders would not be fat. Do you comment on fat riders also??
    Oh brother. Who appointed you the forum police?

Oh that's right, no one did.

The pony's weight is a probable serious HEALTH issue. For the PONY.

You can't -- nor should you, imo -- try to stop people from commenting on forums. Let me remind you, this is a discussion forum, and threads do wander off topic. For example, as when a poster chastises others for commenting on a video.

Do you want to go back to the discussion of counted walk or whatever the current workshop exercise is or keep arguing about how no one should voice opinions about posted videos??

OK now back to our regularly scheduled thread. I found these old gravures from "The Classical Riding Master" by Baron Eisenberg a book I have in my library -

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...4/78644re1.jpg

which lead perfectly into the levade or even (eventually) the terre a terre - but the hind legs have to have "angle and crouch" if you will:

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...4/78644we1.jpg

Don Jose D'Atayde (Portugal) used to teach us the school halt before attempting the levade. Hard - its true - to keep both front legs on the ground together but it definately can be taught to the horse - He used to say this will create a more even levade (when refering to the front legs).

What say U???

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I was commenting on what I, myself, in my opinion, personally saw in the video. By what I, myself, in my opinion, personally saw in the pony's body language and attitude there was little education going on other than performing for a reward. I'm sure the handler is a wonderful trainer, rider and pays her taxes. All are welcome to disagree with what I, myself, in my opinion, personally saw. How is a critique of my comment anything but negative?

IMHO pony needs to lose some weight......

carry on.....
    MBM- she said it in the manner I was typing.
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

Default Much to delight one here . . .

For partisans of the School of Legerete, or merely those wishing to learn more, you might also wish to investigate this web site; some of the articles can be read in whole or in part for free. (I have no commerical affiliation with them):

http://horsesforlife.com/

Quote Originally Posted by belgianWBLuver View Post
    OK now back to our regularly scheduled thread. I found these old gravures from "The Classical Riding Master" by Baron Eisenberg a book I have in my library -

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...4/78644re1.jpg

which lead perfectly into the levade or even (eventually) the terre a terre - but the hind legs have to have "angle and crouch" if you will:

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/...4/78644we1.jpg

Don Jose D'Atayde (Portugal) used to teach us the school halt before attempting the levade. Hard - its true - to keep both front legs on the ground together but it definately can be taught to the horse - He used to say this will create a more even levade (when refering to the front legs).

What say U???
    That the drawings are about as useful as drawings of faeries.

If the pony video is so sucky, how's about one of the practitioners of perfection around here supply us with some video of their 'theory' based perfection.

So far there seems to be plenty of worship of theoretical ideals, yet none of the ideal is available to examine. Does it even exist? Then I say stop picking on the poor pony and show us. That would answer some folks questions about 'is it right?'

Hey! No picking on the faeries!
    ? Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    That the drawings are about as useful as drawings of faeries.

If the pony video is so sucky, how's about one of the practitioners of perfection around here supply us with some video of their 'theory' based perfection.

So far there seems to be plenty of worship of theoretical ideals, yet none of the ideal is available to examine. Does it even exist? Then I say stop picking on the poor pony and show us. That would answer some folks questions about 'is it right?'
    What is your problem? Is that you with the fat pony?? lol

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    Hey! No picking on the faeries!
    Fair enough. I forgot there was one in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    What is your problem? Is that you with the fat pony?? lol
    I find that standing aside or astride a 'pleasantly plump' beastie makes me look thinner, in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by goodpony View Post
    I too am interested in book recommendations for the in-hand work especially. I am also curious as to the type of bit used in this work (is it normally a snaffle or something more advanced)---I don't recall what the pretty pony was wearing. TIA
    asking again, TIA I am chiefly interested in the In Hand work. Im impressed with the immediate results I was able to achieve using some of the ideas presented here and would like to explore the In Hand work further.

i gave you the name and links (even for a preview) for a very good book for the flexions and in hand work - it is also a good book on basic French theory ....it's upthread somewhere....

eta: oops, actually i think i posted it on the other French thread..... it really is a great book, inexpensive - cant beat that!

This book may be Philippe Karl's, Long-Reining: The Saumur Method.
    He has many other interesting works on amazon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    This book may be Philippe Karl's, Long-Reining: The Saumur Method.
    He has many other interesting works on amazon as well.
    out of print and VERY HARD to find---very sad, as this looks like what I was looking for.

GP, there is another one out there. I can't remember the author. Let me see if I still have it or it is one that was lost.
    ? Albert Einstein

ideayoda:

I agree with baroque pony, there are many horses which suffer. But the solution to tense horses is not to back off per se, it is to understand WHY the horse became tense and speak to it differently.
    ideayoda, think that through. Maybe define "tension" as it is being used. I would not/do not "push a horse through" much of anything. "Ask and you shall receive". No?

The horse becomes tense because I am the clutz to miss his "boundaries".

goodpony, yes, some of the best books are out of print.

A "driving surcingle" can be very useful providing the rings are in the right places and run smoothly.

The SRS drive their horses (mares ? anyone ?).

goodpony, driving manuals might be of great help. Driving and long lining are most likely related in the historical scheme of things.

Don't get tangled up in the lines. Don't carry the excess line in loops that might tighten up around your hands or feet should your pony spook.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    GP, there is another one out there. I can't remember the author. Let me see if I still have it or it is one that was lost.
    Thanks HF, Im going to keep watching for the PK long reining book as it looks like something I would like to own (but at a little more reasonable priced then whats currently available used ($75 is the lowest Ive seen so far--I learned my lesson recently overspending on an Imported Book that ultimately a proved disappointing.). Maybe a treat for x-mass. Im not really able to clinic these days due to being deaf so I am a book junkie/hoarder and have to keep a limit on things.

If there are other alternates book recommendations I really would appreciate it. I already have most of what has been shared here in the reading lists.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    A "driving surcingle" can be very useful providing the rings are in the right places and run smoothly.

The SRS drive their horses (mares ? anyone ?).

goodpony, driving manuals might be of great help. Driving and long lining are most likely related in the historical scheme of things.

Don't get tangled up in the lines. Don't carry the excess line in loops that might tighten up around your hands or feet should your pony spook.
    I have actually done a fair bit of driving/long lining/lunging (or used to spend more time doing it than I currently do) So already have the necessary equipment and basic understanding. I do think my instructor is well versed Working In hand but I have not asked her to help me yet. At this point I would mainly like to educate myself on technique--more of an exploration. I always have plan b if something proves beyond my skill level. Lucky that way.

goodpony, I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    goodpony, I apologize.
    Its ok, I ride a pony, he has a mind of his own--he reminded me of this fact last week while I was asking him to do some of the stepping over exercises. He was ignoring me (what, who, me?!--he has not done any in hand work for a while) so I popped him with the butt of the whip--and he tried to use his hind leg to remove the 'poker'. It was naughty--but also made me laugh because he did it more like a dog scratches its ear---sorta very slo motion like. He is now moving over much nicer.