The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Bouncing *up*. you may not need a true stepping feeling. I never do that unless its on some behemoth (usually a WB) that is so laterally stuck its like riding a board. Otherwise, like BP, its in my seat. Specifically, the BACK of my hips/very low lower back. Little movement, keeping the seatbones connected and still. In all honesty I think what it really does is brings my attention to the back of my body instead of the front, where it is (human weakness LOL) used to being. Shhh, but I suspect this is the concept/feeling the ODGs were talking about when they said "ride the rear end, not the front". Surely they did not mean the interpretTion widely seen, of "make the horse push more than he can carry"?!
    Definitely starting to get a better feel for the stair stepping-maybe we are or maybe we are not on the right track. But I have been experimenting with just relaxing my seat/leg (more of a wrapping around mr. round body with a supple/connected seat/leg and a weight resting in the stirrups). The more I can 'go with him" the more thrust/swing/airtime we can achieve. And I can feel the shifting of his belly from side to side--which is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    I still need work on 'go' in the trot. Horse I rode yesterday is athletic, but lazy. She'd love to be a western pleasure trail horse!

Who's got ideas for getting more energy for the trot work? I can get more jump/power in the canter, but mare is pretty good and deadening herself at the trot when she wants to.
    When my guy needs more go we do a lot of walk-trot transitions usually the kind where you "almost' walk and go! Works every time.

Little update on our Spanish Walk adventure: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Just some fun--how is everyone doing?

Oh My He is adorable. What an amazing pony .

1 members found this post helpful.

What a cutey! And bareback... psst... don't tell anyone but you can't train dressage bareback...

What a cutey! And bareback... psst... don't tell anyone but you can't train dressage bareback...
    Heh-heh, sez HOO? I been doing it since I was 16! Nothing like that "close contact" communication (and the independent seat it gives you!)

I have one in particular that goes sooooo much better in the bareback pad (I ain't puttin' my 'parts' on that shark fin wither he's got...) He's a wiggly beast and bareback sits me so much stiller on him. I have a treeless also but the the bb pad is still a huge fix over the treeless.

Great!
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

What's more "Classical" then no saddle or stirrups, a la Xenophon?
    My horse is a "Hare-Brained Controvert".