The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dipping my toe into eventing... advice???

So...(deep breath) at 30 something I'm dipping my toes into Eventing. Next week I am trying my luck at our first combined test, its just a little schooling show but as it happens it will be my first event in years and my OTTB's first time out (aside from some elem xc schooling) ever. In the past I've done some hunter shows (mostly schooling as well) but this will be my first attempt towards our goal of starting BN next season. We've practiced our test, all good there, I feel pretty confident as far as that goes... if I can keep the ADD Poster Child from making an apperance. Our jumping at home is solid. We're trotting small courses up to 2'6 with plenty of confidence and comfort and have just began cantering around 18 inches to 2 foot. I'm looking at going into this just for the experiance, see what comments the judges make, and how we both do away from home. So all you wise folks out there... any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

Don't dip toes, jump in (fully clothed or not). Connect with other eventers in your area and enjoy the camaderie and friendship - it's a lot more fun with a group!

make sure your only goal for the day is to laugh at the mistakes and have a great time, you will always come home a winner!

Well, with a name like Honey Badger, you should fit right in!

Ask around for a good coach, even if it means travel.

I'm another toe dipper wanting to make the plunge...

How's the water?
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.

You go girl! I'll be right behind you!!!

Oh my goodness I'm at a loss for words at all of the kind responses I've received. Thank you, Im finding that the eventing community is very friendly & Y'all have great senses of humor! I'm blessed to have an amazing coach locally who constantly challenges as much as she encourages and inspires me. Ive thrown myself into learning all I can via clinics, blogs, books and attending/volunteering at local events. Jane Honda, I absolutely love everything I've experienced so far, and l think the time may be right, I'm tired of being an observer and want to get in on the action. DevilsAdvocate's I agree completely, I just want to go w/o expectations and just roll w/ it. Gotta start somewhere right? Thank you all again for your replies, I'll keep you posted!
    "Your horse can only be as brave as you are"

I'm 40 something and I'm looking for water wings!

Been doing entry-level dressage since last year, my horse practically rolls his eyes when I go down a centre line but jumping the odd x sure perks him up! My daughter has had a blast doing combined tests and events this year, and now I want to try combined tests next summer. I'll start there and see how it goes.

I love having a whole new focus, faithfully working on my two-point. Nothing seems to faze my horse, if he was any cooler he'd be comatose...

Please let us know how you're doing - I'm so excited to know it's not just me!

Have a fabulous time! Funny thing about keeping expectations low . . . I remember my first horse trial_ever. I had done some CT's and other stuff--but it was my first time with all 3 phases. It was unrecognized at a very backwater facility in Central Illinois. But, we ended up winning!! There were much nicer dressage tests, better riders, and nicer horses, but my horse jumped the "gi-normous" scary log (I'm sure it was barely 2'6") that was causing problems. I stressed about that log (and a few other jumps on course) and when we went clean, I was pretty darn geeked! Of course, then I was completely hooked on the sport! So, just warning you--it can be addicting and can have side effects on your disposable income and free time!

Quote Originally Posted by slp2 View Post
    So, just warning you--it can be addicting and can have side effects on your disposable income and free time!
    Ahem to that..and worth it tens times more. Eventing is a blast and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have come to love it.

Quote Originally Posted by JP60 View Post
    Ahem to that..and worth it tens times more. Eventing is a blast and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have come to love it.
    LOL ohhhhhhhhhhh I think my husband would already agree with you guys on that point! I've already been put on E-bay, tack store, & tent sale probation. Maaaaaaaaaybe I'm just having a little too much fun with this new freedom I've found.... a discipline thats ok with COLORS!!!

You will love it, I agree, JUMP IN!!!!! We are a great and helpful community!!!! We know who to have fun and support each other too!! Can't wait to hear more from your new adventures and keep us posted on the CT you are doing!!!!
    No Worries!

When you hear total strangers cheering your Beginner Novice ride in cross-country, enjoy that moment! lol There aren't many sports that have that kind of sportsmanship and mutual support. And, cheer on some other riders in your turn.

Very happy to report that we both made it through our first combined test! It was the perfect venu for our first time out, very laid back but very nicely put together by the staff. Big thank you to Tracey Bienemann and the rest of the staff at Worthmore Equestrian Center for hosting this series. I am proud to report the evening went beyond my expectations and we even brought home some polyester. While my boy wasn't quite the ADD Poster child, he was pretty busy looking at everything going on. But we finshed our dressage with a 60% and had some fantastic feedback for things to work on. Our jumping... well it was ugly but we completed the course with only one refusal which he took on the 2nd try. Honestly I'm beyond thrilled it went so well and I can't wait to go back again next week. Thanks for all of your support and good wishes. Between this and going to Plantation HT this past weekend I think I'm pretty addicted now!

Mwahahahaha -- velcome to ze dark side...

:}

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Well, with a name like Honey Badger, you should fit right in!

Ask around for a good coach, even if it means travel.
    Yeah, I was wondering why the OP was even asking for advice?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Thanks guys @ Toadie's mom The HoneyBadger thing kinda came by way of my husband trying to be encouraging during my lessons. Ya know HoneyBadger don't give a s*** about.... whatever we were working on at the time. Kinda stuck & now he's my little way of reminding myself to just breath and go with the flow. I had origionally reached out hoping to gain advice and avoid commiting any eventing deadly sins. As I've never done a dresssage test aside from home, I was a little stressed over making a big embarrasing blunder that little kids even know better than to do, ya know? In the end Im really glad I posted because I've met some wonderful ppl thought here as well as learned a lot from reading what others have to say. All in all it's been a win win

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
    I was a little stressed over making a big embarrassing blunder that little kids even know better than to do, ya know?

There was a really great thread on here a while ago about most embarrassing mistake or moment at an event. It was pretty funny. We all make mistakes and have "moments"...part of the fun Don't be stressed about it....just laugh at how creative you or your horse was!

hummm might be time to start another thread like that
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

HB, you do realize it's against the rules to start a thread like this and not post pictures, right?!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Go with the goal of having fun and assessing where you are in your training. You may wind up very pleasantly surprised that you are miles ahead of where you thought!

When I started I was just going to "fool around" the little local Pony Club unrecognized stuff; but we had some early success there, so with several intrepid fellow idiots we signed up for a Big One--and promptly got ourselves eliminated.

Went next to the local BNT who quickly discovered I had a useful seat and poker face, plus enough ignorance to try anything. Two weeks later she'd signed me up for a clinic with Stephen Bradley! Talk about being thrown in the deep end and yelled at to stop drowning!

Before it was over we found ourselves going places and doing things we never imagined in our wildest dreams--and this on a middle-aged QH who was thought to be "a chicken!"

Take everything as it comes and BE OPEN to challenges, possibilities, and opportunities. NEVER say NEVER!!

(We expect a full report!)