The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feed to replace Sentinel LS Performance???

I've just been informed that our local feed store will no longer be carrying Sentinel LS Performance. In order to get it, I would have to drive an hour away, and BO will not allow me to just stock up on many bags at once. (I'm lucky she even feeds it to my hard keeper with no additional cost!)

So! Any of you feed gurus out there know of something that would be comparable? It's a 12% Protein, 12% Fat and 20% Fiber feed... Horse is a hard keeper, but now she almost looks FAT! She is also on Nutrena Empower (rice bran fat supplement) and gets beet pulp in the winter.

Also, maresy is a pretty hot, forward ride...so I want to avoid giving her calories that would encourage such behaviour!

TIA!

What brands are available to you?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    What brands are available to you?
    That is an excellent question. The short answer is:

I don't exactly know.

Though I AM in a pretty horsey part of the country... just start throwing suggestions out there. I'll research to see if I can get them...

Call the local feed store, ask what brands they carry and express your sadness about the LS.

My guess is that they might carry Poulin, I'd recommend their FiberMax if they do.

I would recommend TC Senior or Complete.

I have had great luck with the Senior. Its a 14% Protein, 10% Fat, and 17% fiber so not exactly as you're feeding now, but its also low in NSC at 11.7% (which is lower than the Sentinal Performance LS).

You can always supplement with fat if you need more, but it sounds like your mare may not need a feed with a higher fat content if she seems chubby now.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Pennfield Fibregized if it's available. 12 percent protein, 11.5 percent fat (or 12.5 percent if you get the Omega), and includes lots of beet pulp already.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

I switched my horses from the Sentinel LS to Triple Crown Complete last summer. They're both doing great on it.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Default Triple Crown LS

I used this feed and was happy with it and for the same reasons switched to Triple Crown low starch which I like even better. The added advantage is that it does not have corn in it, and not only will feeds with corn in them go up in price, but many horses have small allergies to corn.

I made the switch and am very happy with it.

TC Sr and Complete don't have corn either, but both are textured while the Low Starch is a pellet. Just depends on what you want to feed!

For the record the only TC feed with corn is the 14% Performance feed which is a traditional sweet feed. All the other products are corn free.