The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Allergy testing in cats

Has anyone gone through the process, and if so, what was the outcome? I have a barn cat that is 3 years old. He has been a walking vet bill since I got him at 5 weeks from a local animal shlelter. He has more than made up for it by being the sweetest little man. Last summer he started getting a bald, irritated belly, bald scabby patches on the tendon above his hocks and occasional sores in his paw pads. Took him to vet and she gave him a steroid shot and advised keeping on flea stuff regularly as he probably has a flea allergy. Irritation responses well to steroids and winter comes and he gets better. In the mean time, I remove all grain from his diet. (he gets canned food, raw rabbit and chicken and grain free kibble). This summe the same thing happens. He just had his third steroid shot. I asked vet about allergy testing and her response was that it took a lot of blood to do it and only had about a 50% success rate. In other words, not very encouraging about doing it.

Anyone with thoughts or experiences with this?
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.