The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pergolide can also make some critters a little anorexic. Not all. But a skinny Cushings horse/pony is not unheard of.

It sounds like you're already doing pretty much all the right things. If you wanted to add massage or chiro to the routine, I don't think it would hurt but I don't think there's any empirical data that supports their efficacy in treating Cushings.

My mare is IR and lost weight this summer. (not a physical problem, it was a herd dynamic issue) I did quite a bit of research trying to find a low carb feed I could give her to boost calories and ended up with TC Senior. Katy might have better recommendations.

Good luck.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Can someone give me some more info on this? I am considering taking an older pony with Cushings. I'm in the preliminary question asking stage, so all I know is that the pony is on meds for cushings, costing $31/mo.

Should I just assume that the pony has foundered? I gather that they most likely go hand-in-hand. And considering its a pony that's been neglected, more likely.

The current owner rescued the horse, and tells me she still needs weight, and that the reason for the thinness is because she had not been treated for the cushings. Which is opposite of what I conventionally thought of when adding about cushings, but now reading this thread, realize is not always the case.

What the current owner sees as thinness might just be muscle wasting, esp. along the topline. That is common in Cushings horses.

Treat her as if she is IR, with low s/s diet, minimal, if any grass, and correct trimming. Do ACTH tests regularly to be sure the current Pergolide dose is correct, and exercise her as much as she is able. TC Sr. is a safe feed and may add needed weight.

As with all healing, therapies that help treat the whole horse is beneficial. You may fix or repair one area, but the whole horse should be addresses and considered to allow complete healing at all levels.

Yes, the horse gains excess weight, why? Human error or a shut down of the body and reaction to food source. And then, why did the body stop functioning 1 day, vs other days. This is what is meant by whole body. I don't think we fully have found the root cause . I am happy to see others considering other options to help the whole horse.

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    I'm just curious has anybody tried or is it even advisable to try alternative therapies (acupuncture, massage, chiro, reiki, etc) for a horse with founder or cushings? Why or why not-- would you try? If you did try, did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    A hard truth, but a solid one.

LESS CALORIES IN and MORE CALORIES OUT = WEIGHT LOSS seems to be one of the laws of nature that is argued with the most vigorously.
    echo

My vets office endorsed the soft ride boots! Now... does anybody know if it is possible to find them for less than $195/pair or is that pretty much what they're going to be?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    My vets office endorsed the soft ride boots! Now... does anybody know if it is possible to find them for less than $195/pair or is that pretty much what they're going to be?
    That's the price directly from the company. I've never seen them anywhere for less.

They are a life saver!! I'm sure your horse will love them.

Bite the bullet and go for it.

Totally agree - these things add benefits check out Dr. Kellon's list as well - they have alot of good ideas and info as to where you can get some of this stuff.
    Acupressure on the related points helps as well. My guy has circulation issues that acupressure helps.

My horse has Cushings, and I did try chaste tree berry powder, which did clear up the symptoms. He was put on Pegolide soon after when his bloodwork confirmed Cushings. I am a massage therapist and do work on my horse; he also gets Reiki (most animals love it) and I use acupressure on the points that are supposed to help with immune function. He also gets a chiro adjustment and acupuncture at least once or twice a year. (I, OTOH, haven't had a massage in over 3 years, just lots of Advil).

Update- I bought a pair of the soft ride boots and they made minimal difference. Still shifting, still unsound, but slightly less unsound.

I decided to try a reike session for Rosie. She had it on Friday and is doing amazingly better!!! This pony would shift her fronts continuously. During the session she was so in tune and you could tell that she was concentrating- a lot of licking and chewing. At one point in time Lorie was working up by her barrel... Rosie got her attention and then reached her neck and touched towards her right front.... as if to say... "HERE! This is the spot!!"

The next morning, I watched Rosie and she was standing square with no shifting... I must have just watched her for about five minutes with tears welling up in my eyes. I LOVE this pony and hate to see her sore- she's also very stoic with her pain and not ready to give up... she just deals with it.

I know there are skeptics out there and I'm sure there are a lot of people who just want to take people's money, but the lady I used is AWESOME! She is a client of my trainers and I know and trust her and she's very honest. She said reike sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. But I can honestly say, I haven't seen this pony anywhere close to sound for probably close to a year-- I haven't changed anything-- it is an amazing transformation!!!
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma