The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Intense itching/chewing by Wee Pom!

Our Wee Pom (who has many issues) now apparently (after another expensive vet visit) has flea allergies. He got a shot of Dex and a worm pill today, and sent home with antibiotic for his nasty chew spots, and prednisone for the itching. This episode just blew up out of seemingly nowhere-- we've treated with Frontline all summer (we have several dogs/cats). One minute he was fine, two hours later, he was covered in raw, chewed or scratched patches! Awful.

We've learned that Frontline is no longer as efficacious as it was, and that Wee Pom is allergic to fleas.

He is still miserable, and unless he's wearing his "Cone of Doggy Shame", he itches or chews himself.

How long until the steroids kick in? Anything we can do OTC or Old School in the meantime?

Anyway, kind of a vent-meets-help-meets-jingles thread. Dogs...love 'em, but they rival kids for expenses!!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

If he is on steroids, dont add anything else (OTC) without consulting your vet. Sorry your pup is going through this!!

He's finally sleeping quietly, poor little guy. He's got tracheal collapse, heart murmur/congestive heart failure, alopecia, and now this! He's a charming, sweet and goofy--and despite being a very expensive addition to our pack--we'd never give him back to shelter!!

Well, we'll stick with the ECollar and take embarrassing photos of him to make us laugh when we pay the bills he incurs.

I currently have my dog on Benadryl(per vet) for intense itching. It started earlier in the summer. I had her on Frontline, but when that ran out and I was not seeing any relief, I switched to Advantage. She had antibiotics for all the raw places on her body, in addition to some spray. They gave me some pills for anti itching(hydroxyzine sp?). This did not really help that much and was way more expensive than what I could purchase children's benadryl from Walmart, so vet said I could change to that. I have been giving her a total of 25mg per day( two doses of 12.5mg). She has quit pulling all her hair out and not itching so much. I figured once the heat and humidity have decreased I will stop the Benadryl.

Simbalism--how big is your dog? Weight-wise? We have another dog who is also itchy, and frankly, I am not made of money so if I can treat itchy flea allergies with OTC benadryl, I will!

CC, My dog is 30 lbs.

In my car, between work, home, and the barn!

My foxhound is allergic to flea bites. He's on Frontline Plus and had a month of Certifect, too. I can't find a flea on him, but every now and then he gets just one bite and the itching starts... if I don't catch it in time he'll chew himself raw. He was on a course of Prednisone earlier in the summer; now I'm just giving him Benadryl when I catch him itching. Poor guy... the Benadryl works really well; he's 60lbs and gets 50mg twice a day. I get it in bulk at Costco for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Simbalism--how big is your dog? Weight-wise? We have another dog who is also itchy, and frankly, I am not made of money so if I can treat itchy flea allergies with OTC benadryl, I will!
    For OTC allergy control, the typical dose is 1mg per 1 lb.

OP, I am with ya. My old man is also wearing his cone of shame. He licked a hot spot over the course of 2 days. He is highly allergic to fleas and also has a seasonal Fall allergy. I have taken the cone off twice over the past two weeks and he immediately starts licking again so he must wear it for the forseeable future.

The 'roids will help Wee Pom fast. They are the silver bullet when it comes to allergies. There is also one...name is eluding me now...that is both a steroid and some antihistamine. I always ask for that at the vet's. The vet hems and haws a bit because it's a steroid. I remind him of my pup's history. Then they give us the silver bullet.

My daughter's wee mini dachsie has horrible flea allergies too. He would literally scratch and rub himself bald. I started giving him Comfortis, now he is on Trifexis and it has worked wonders. It's a bit pricey, about $120 for a 6 mon. supply of Trifexis, but Billy now has hair and isn't scratching constantly. He's never had a reaction to the stuff either. I mix it into his food once a month and he is good to go.