The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Default Take Back the Term Horse Whisperer!

I was just reading Henry Blake and I'd forgotten that he'd used the term for (I think I remember correctly) Daniel Sullivan from Ireland, because that's what the man was known as. Probably the first one.

I love reading his book because he mentions many others who used similar methods and only today are there those who want to trademark the name for themselves.

I also like that he talks about other trying to mimic it to make money, and they can't do it. Sounds like that Clinton Anderson guy who nerves his horses tails, uses them when they're in pain, has them terrified to put a foot wrong, etc.

I'm tired of the misuse of the term. Lets take it back! Give it back to those who deserve it and were orginally called by that name out of respect.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Personal peeve - 'horse whisperer', 'dog whisperer', etc. sounds so pompous.

Originally, the Irish were as famous for fixing rank horses as they were for being notorious horse traaders. Their methods were suspect and done behind the barn, so as not to let anybody learn anything that might give them an edge.
    They would whisper into the horses' nostrils and fix the problems - ha ha.

I tried the whispering as a kid - never worked for me.

So, I think the term is not a compliment.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Sounds like that Clinton Anderson guy who nerves his horses tails, uses them when they're in pain, has them terrified to put a foot wrong, etc.
    Do you have any more information on him nerving his horses' tails?

I was invited to watch him by a friend with a spare ticket. I knew nothing about him. It took a few minutes if watching him work his horse to see that the horse was not chewing but stress gnashing and that he had his tail nerved. You can see a nerved tail by how the horse cannot twitch nor swish it, but is trying.

A former student had joined a friend of her's with a horse behind the scenes and noticed the same thing. It's amazing how many of his accolytes are so naive they don't even notice--or choose not to.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Foxtrot,

Without knowing them or their horses, I don't believe the blanket assumption of cruel treatment is justified for the old ones. There are a small handful in every generation, around the world, that truly are gifted in communicating with horses.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I was invited to watch him by a friend with a spare ticket. I knew nothing about him. It took a few minutes if watching him work his horse to see that the horse was not chewing but stress gnashing and that he had his tail nerved. You can see a nerved tail by how the horse cannot twitch nor swish it, but is trying.

A former student had joined a friend of her's with a horse behind the scenes and noticed the same thing. It's amazing how many of his accolytes are so naive they don't even notice--or choose not to.
    Not a Clinton Anderson follower, but to be fair. I've never heard that he practices tail blocking.
    Do you know the horse's history - I spent years riding a TB whos' tailbone had been severely damaged as a baby - you would swear he had a nerve block. it Never moved. ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Guilt by omission in this instance. To not mention it in front of thousands of people, if that were the case, is terrible. On top of the fact that the horse was LAME and obviously stressed out, I'd go with deliberate nerving.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I'm tired of the misuse of the term. Lets take it back! Give it back to those who deserve it and were orginally called by that name out of respect.
    the idea that someone can magically waltz in and fix all of your beast's problems in a few minutes using some special skill is ridiculous. Anyone going around using the term "whisperer" is revealing themselves as a faker and/or someone who uses abusive methods as a shortcut. So let them use the term so we can spot them coming more readily.

Velvet, your sig line caused me to snork my tea. Thank you very much!! ;-)

I have never heard of him blocking a tail either. Has anyone ever asked him about it?? My Leo came from a CA follower and my gelding doesn't move his tail much either. Personally, I'd have to know lots more to say he definitively blocks tails and either knew or didn't know about. What kind of lame? Yeah, he's in it for the money but seems to me to at least care about his horses. I've only seen him on TV, however, when I drove a big rig, I drove by his place in Stephenville, TX. Talk about a tacky sign!! Wow!! :-0
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Personal peeve - 'horse whisperer', 'dog whisperer', etc. sounds so pompous.
    This. I think anyone who proclaims themselves as "whisperers" are usuallY not worth my time.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Guilt by omission in this instance. To not mention it in front of thousands of people, if that were the case, is terrible. On top of the fact that the horse was LAME and obviously stressed out, I'd go with deliberate nerving.
    Many reining horses have "altered" tails, against rules, of course.

I think many trainers think it is normal to do so, about like cutting ears in puppies from some breeds.

I would not necessarily blame the owner of such horses, unless you know they were the ones that had it done.

I had a trainer check over and buy a horse for me with a tail so dead, he could not hardly lift it to go to the bathroom, much less switch for fies.
    I am afraid I was not very nice expressing my opinion when I noticed, while the trainer was saying "all do that".

bit of funny:
    I was waiting for the vet in the cattle barn two days ago and was sitting
    in the main main manger (5x70) that divides the two sides petting the stupid things just waiting on him,doing nuthin' and he pulls up and says...

"what are you doing in there?"

"shhhh...whispering to them obviously"

he swore as only an Alabama vet could :>

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    bit of funny:
    in the main main manger (5x70) that divides the two sides petting the stupid things just waiting on him,doing nuthin' and he pulls up and says...

Tamara

Nice to see you post again. Even being a fairly newbie COTHer I always enjoyed your comments.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    bit of funny:

Tamara
    Alis volat propriis.