The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

Unhappy Horse allergic to GastroGuard???? D'OH...

I just had a "d'oh!" moment. I'm wondering if my guy is allergic to GastroGaurd. I just googled and hives and swollen face is one of the symptoms of this. My horse had both and started a few days after his first dose of the GG. Gawd. I feel dumb. I have been eliminating soy and other stuff from his diet to try and figure it out. He has basically been bloated since he started the GG. This Friday will be his 28 days and then I had planned to do half a tube for 2 weeks. I might do the pop rocks instead. I feel so dumb for not connecting this earlier.

I have him booked in for a scope on Monday and a lung flush, head x-ray (for nasal discharge - he was scoped up his nostrils earlier, but they couldn't the other tests at that time). I also want to see what allergy tests they can do. Will talk to the vet about the GG then.

Do you think I should keep the full dose until Monday? I guess if he's lasted 26 days on it a few more won't hurt???

Allergy is possible with *any* medication.

If you think he's allergic, I would stop it. And I wouldn't use pop rocks, either, as if it's the drug (and not the carrier) he's allergic to, you will still be giving him the offending stuff.

Perhaps OTC Zantac/ranitidine until his endoscopy is done, just to cover that base until a definitive test is done?
    Click here before you buy.

I'd pull him off Omeprazole completely. I'd also talk to the vet about leaving a window of time between taking him off it and doing the lung flush and scope. Could be that the Omeprazole is causing the respiratory issues also, or at least irritating them.

You could do Ranitidine, but at this point you've probably done what needs to be done. But I'm not a vet.

I do have RiteTrac by KER at home, which has an antacid in it. I was going to start giving it to him after he was tapered off the Omep but I might just stop the GG and give it to him now plus some Tums maybe?

He was on generic Omep and the pop rocks for the 20 satchel trial thing before the GG and he never had a reaction to that so I'm wondering if it's the carrier in the GG but who knows...

Good advice on the lung flush test. I will mention that to the vet as well.

I am REALLY WISHING that we had scoped him before we started treating with Omep. The vet at the time told me to just start him on the generic Omep as he had all the symptoms (to be fair to the vet I was at the clinic with my hubby's mare to have her teeth done and to have my guy's teeth checked - it was not an appointment to address ulcers but still). If I could do it over again I would 100% have scoped him before starting treatment. If it turns out he had colonic ulcers and not gastric ones, and I put him through this for nothing I will feel absolutely terrible, especially since he is my world and money spent on him is no object.

My other concern with taking him off the GG is trailering him to the clinic on Monday with an empty tummy from fasting for 24 hours. Any suggestions??

Abruptly stopping full dose omeprazole is not something I'd be wild about doing without something else On board, but it certainly is done.

I'd stop it - and if you want to keep him on something stomach soothing, try Papaya Juice - we used it on racing TBs whose owners did not want to spend the fortune on Gastrogard. We gave 40-60mL 2X/day - horses LOVE it - will slurp it right out of the syringe - and it seemed to work. Just a suggestion :-)

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Abruptly stopping full dose omeprazole is not something I'd be wild about doing without something else On board, but it certainly is done.
    True, but hives and facial swelling are one step away from anaphalaxysis, throat swollen shut stuff, so I'd be weighing that possibility into the equation quite heavily.

Thanks guys. I'm going to give him 2 satchels of pop rocks tonight since he didn't have a strong reaction to them before and some Ritetrac.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    True, but hives and facial swelling are one step away from anaphalaxysis, throat swollen shut stuff, so I'd be weighing that possibility into the equation quite heavily.
    Yes, very definitely. That's why I suggested the ranitidine as a "bridge".

He actually got the hives a few days before the swelling and the swelling (one hind leg and nose) appeared the morning after I tried him on Succeed the night before. I can't say for sure it was the GG but I'd be much more comfortable taking him off. Thanks for the replies.

Then is sounds like the Succeed may be the culprit if he was on GG for a while, and didn't get hives until you started him on Succeed. Why not discontinue the Succeed and see waht happens???
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

He got hives before the Succeed. He got the hives quite soon after the GG but I didn't make the connection - i was thinking more of a bug bite at the time. I stopped the Succeed right away as he was also a bit colicky that morning after. He only ever got one scoop out of the whole container of it.

He's so close to being done the GG cycle and was on pop rocks and gereic omep for a while before, so if it was gastric ulcers I'm sure they are healed by now but I will keep up with the pop rocks to taper. We'll see what the scope shows Monday.