The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mare got hung up in the gate

Two days ago I saw a Pueo, or White Hawaiian Owl, on my way home from work. They are known as the protectors in Hawaiian mythology, and are said to bring good fortune to those who see them. I've definately used up that good fortune.

This morning my trainer's wife called in a panic, my mare had gotten her foot caught in the gate and was upside down. She was alone at the farm and couldn't get the mare out by herself. She ended up having to call 911. The firefighters showed up 40 minutes later, along with the vet. They ended up cutting her out of the gate.

All that and she only had one cut that needed attention. It was right above an artery, but managed to miss it completely. She got 2 stiches, 10 days of antibiotics and the vet says she will be just fine. Definately a scary morning, and my trainer is now investing in caps for all his pipe panels to keep this from happening again.

But hey, I can now say that my 90-days out of the wild mustang is good with hoses, clippers, and the jaws of life.

Wow! Your horse is one lucky girl.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

HOLY &%^&%$.

The pictures in my mind were no where near as scary as your pictures. That is terrifying. Thank goodness your trainers wife found her, and so scary that she was alone.

I think that owl WAS looking out for you and bringing you good fortune considering your mare is barely injured!!!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I know what you mean. And how amazing it is when it doesn't cause serious injury.

2 years ago this month, i was cleaning Cloudy's stall while he was out in the barnyard. I heard a clang, and walked out, thinking the pony mare had kicked out at him. He was hung up in the gate, both hind legs over 4 ft off of the ground, both hind legs between the top 2 rungs of pipes, and twisted sideways. I could not pull him out, because each time I tried to pull out one leg, the other leg pushed me in the chest, away from him. The pony mare was just standing there looking. If she had bitten his big rump, he'd have broken something.

I ran back to the barn and got my cell phone and called the BO in her house. Had she not been there, I'd have called the firefighters and cops 2 miles away in town. BO came out and I had her push while I pulled. No struggle, Cloudy knew as soon as he got caught in the gate that he was in deep trouble so he did not try to move at all during the whole tine. I thought I'd either find a leg hanging broken, or that when I got him out, he'd have a broken leg. He limped away. I was ready to call the vet. After walking around, no limping, only a scratch on one leg. Of course them he started trembling and colicked. but he was fine in a few hours. BTW, the gate was not bent, even holding up a big warmblood. I think the gate manufacturer should pay Cloudy to advertise the product.

After he was OK, I came home and emailed everyone and had some wine. I swear horses can get caught up in anything.

I'm glad your horse is OK.

holly molly! So glad to hear that she made it through that. Could have ended up very very bad.

Horses - Why do they do this to us!
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Good lord how did she pull that one off!

Scary. Glad you're both okay.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Jeepers! Thank goodness + that she's in one piece! May I suggest you keep a close eye on her pectoral and shoulder muscles for a few days. It looks like they got tweaked hard in directions they really aren't built for.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

WOW!! I didn't think they were supposed to bend that way. Is your horse related to Gumby's horse Pokey?

omg- glad shes ok you might find she sore later further up her leg, as no doubt shes pulled a mussle in her struggle to get out of it, how she did it no one knows, my theory is that she pawed the gate and her leg slipped through between the gate and post so she tried to get it out and no doubt hop round until she ended up like she did your lucky she never broke her leg and stayed still when she was down

as brusing might not be apparent yet bless her,

WOW! I don't know if I would have laid there without struggling. Glad she is ok! Hopefully there will be minimal muscle soreness
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Hooooly bleeep!!!! That is one lucky horse!! Someone was watching over her, for sure! Im patching up a hock to fetlock almost complete degloving injury After getting cast and I still consider her lucky!!!

We're pretty sure she was pawing for breakfast and got stuck. She'll be getting some bute for the next few days to help the inevitable aches and pains.

The even crazier part is that today was the day she was supposed to start her journey to Hawaii. (How do they know these things?) She was originally going to have a week long layover in Cali, but we managed to talk the ground shipper into delaying her initial pick up by 2 days so she can recover in a familiar location. The vet on scene said she would be physically fine to ship on schedule but I think she's had enough stress today.

The vet who is going to do her final check before she gets on the boat to Hawaii agreed to change her bandage and check her wound before the trip.

Canceling completely would likely mean not getting her here for a few more months. Winter is a slow time for shipping and it's harder to fill a shipment.

cheeseandrice that would have made my heart stop!
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

I'm SO glad to hear she's doing well after that. More than that- I'm glad to hear YOU'RE doing ok!

At my last barn, we had two of them hog-tie themselves with the fencing, and each time, they walked away with minimal cuts and some expected ouchiness.

For as delicate as horses are, sometimes they truly surprise me!

Wow. That is a pretty scary predicament she got herself into.