The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default lbs/day of dry beet pulp/horse?

I am trying to estimate how much dry beet pulp by weight I will use. How many lbs/day of dry beet pulp do you soak and how many horses do you feed with that?
    Thanks!

It depends. What are you trying to do? Replace a portion of hay? Just supplement your hay a bit?
    Quarry Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Mosey_2003 View Post
    It depends. What are you trying to do? Replace a portion of hay? Just supplement your hay a bit?
    ^This^ Its all relative to your particular horse and situation.

I feed 2 lbs (dry weight) beet pulp per day to hard keeper mare. In addition to her 2 lbs alfalfa pellets, 2 lbs grain, 1/2 flake alfalfa, and all the grass hay she can consume .

Trainer has old toothless mare, who is a rather easy keeper, on 4 lbs (dry weight) beet pulp plus 6 lbs timothy pellets and a ration balancer. She holds weight well on this, but her "work" is standing around in a stall or in a pasture depending on the weather .
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Just as a supplement to mix wtih their mineral and grain, not to replace any forage. I am thinking probably one large scoop (soaked)/day/horse but dont have access to it right now so am having trouble converting the dry weight (aka how many bags/month) in my head. I can picture how much dry beet pulp I would likely put in a 5 gallon pail to soak but am hving a hard time correlating that image of volume to weight.

If you're just wanting a little something to mix supplements and such in I'd say half a pound would be plenty after it's soaked. But, I'm not an expert either.

ETA: Why not find a scale and weigh the volume you 'see'?
    Quarry Rat

That's the problem, I won't have access to the dry beet pulp for some time and I'm just trying to budget.
    Thanks for the replies!

For visualization purposes, a standard red solo cup (16 fluid oz) holds about 1/2 lb of dry beet pulp pellets. Not sure about shreds. Probably would be around 1/4 lb at a guess, since they take up more volume but weigh less.

1/2 to 1 lb per day/per horse should be plenty if you are just supplementing hay. A 50lb bag of pellets should last you then 100 days if you are feeding 1/2 lb to one horse, or 50 days if you are feeding 1 lb to one horse. Shreds typically come in the same size bag by volume, but the weight is only 25 lbs.

Around here (Oregon) a 25lb bag of shreds costs about 2x as much as a 50lb bag of pellets, so I would definitely take into account what the best deal is for you locally and budget based on that.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Tb in Colour, that is EXACTLY what I needed, thank you! Looks like I'm used to feeding about 1lb/day.
    Yay COTH.

If you are feeding shreds and you really want to be sure I can weigh up what fits in a 4 quart bucket when I get home tonight if you'd like.
    Quarry Rat

I would guesstimate that one soaked normal (not a loaded, generous one)scoop once per day probably translates into half a pound, maybe 3/4 lb of dry pellets per day. I actually did figure this out a couple of months ago and wrote it down somewhere but cannot remember off the top of my head.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

So what exactly is you all's definition of a "normal scoop"? A 2 qt? 3qt?

They come in different sizes. I know my scoop full of beet pulp (pellets, not shreds) would weight like 3 lbs!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Tahnks for the kind offer Mosey!
    Mozart that helped too.
    The solo cup visualisation was enough though, I just need to guestimate for my budget and won't have access to the feed for a few weeks.
    Cheers!!!

I feed the shredded beet pulp and a full coffee can (the 1 lb size coffee can) weighs 11 ounces. So 3 oz over 1/2 lb. Mare gets 4 coffee cans soaked a day, 2 am and 2 pm for a total dry weight fed per day of 2 lbs 12 oz.

Just to give you an idea of the shreds weight/volume vs the pellets.