The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Free Morgan/Percheron Cross in Central MA

I adopted Trevor from a lady on Long Island. He hadn't done anything for years and was living in their back yard with a pony. I foolishly believed her when she told me he'd make a good husband horse with a little polishing. I would never say she intentionally misled me, but she also knew I would give him a an excellent home and didn't want me to leave without him. Unfortunately, I soon found out that Trevor is green broke at best and not appropriate for what I need.

A friend's daughter has ridden him a few times over the summer, but he recently dumped her (very gently ) in a hay field a few weeks back and she hasn't been back to ride him since. He really hates riding in the ring, and would much rather be out on the trails. He'll go by himself, but is definitely better with a buddy. He'll walk calmly for hours, but gets a little "up" when you canter and will through the occasional happy buck.

If he was my only horse, I'd spend a few months working with him and I'm sure he'd be fine for an advanced beginner. But I just don't have the time and I hate to see him sit and rot in the field.

He's very handsome, black with three high whites and a big star, gorgeous long tail and slight feathering on his fetlocks. He's 13 yo, a very stout 15.2, goes barefoot, no soundness issues, good for the vet, farrier and dentist. A little bratty in the barn, but not dangerous in the least, just pushy. Easy to catch out in our big field and an easy keeper. I just took the pic this morning and you can see he's fat on only 1 1/2 quarts of pellets twice a day and pasture, no hay.

I'm in no rush to get rid of him, an excellent long term home is my priority. I did sign an adoption agreement with the woman I got him from in NY, but unless she agrees to take him back (which I highly doubt), the agreement will be void.

Feel free to contact me with any questions or if you'd like other pictures of him. Thanks!

http://image58.webshots.com/158/5/72...6UBrhZr_fs.jpg
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Trevor has a new home.

wow, that was quick.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Yeah, I put him on CL () and I got an email from a guy within an hour wanting to come see him. Turns out he's a part-time hoof trimmer and all around nice guy (plenty of local references telling me I couldn't have found a better home for him). I brought Trevy to his new home on 80 acres of pasture a town away from me. I couldn't be happier!