The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile New County Sensation Saddle - Pics Post #15

After a quite long saddle shopping experience I finally bucked up and decided to get a custom saddle for my somewhat hard to fit and picky gelding and my weird leg.

I was supposed to have my initial consultation at the start of August but a concussion kept me out of the saddle. My awesome rep did however do a "bare bones" fitting on my horse to look into the possibility of demos for me. (knowing that I would need a real fitting - under saddle - to get it right).

Anyways I got a really nice County Innovation on trial. Only problem was it was oh-range. (pic) Not a color that I am a fan of... However for $1900 less I was willing to atleast try it and see what I thought. I loved the saddle and provided it had fit my horse thought I would buy it. It became obvious though that the saddle wasn't sitting on my horse quite right because it was much too wide. Regardless I got to ride in a really nice saddle much longer than the initial trial period because my rep is out of state and wouldn't be making a trip my way for a week or two without me paying an arm and a leg.

Fast forward... My rep looked at the demo and confirmed my fear that the saddle was not a good fit so we started the process of trying other models and consequentially spending way more money... After riding in the demo I was fairly certain the Innovation was going to be for me but boy was I wrong. From the moment I sat in the Sensation I was in love. For one my horse was moving incredibly and second this is one of the most comfortable saddles I have ever sat in and I was still able to get the close feel that I prefer. Who knew. I also went down from a 17.5" to a 17". This saddle is like heaven.

My rep was incredibly patient with me and even put up with my shameless begging that she let me keep her demo! Haha. I knew that wasn't going to happen. And due to the model being fairly new she didn't think there would be any demos available- I was pretty set on buying a new one though for the additional warranty, etc. Anyways- it is Christmas in September for this gal. My saddle will be here tomorrow!

My only reservation was the color options. (see here) They had/ have the medium brown, the oh-range, and then dark brown. I had already pretty much decided to go with the in-between because I was concerned that the dark brown would get very very dark (almost black) over time. And I was told that the mid color should darken up nicely.

The kit saddle in that model that I rode in were a very interesting color that I actually really really liked but apparently that is not the color they are selling them in/ isn't an option.

Has anyone gotten a saddle from County in the past few months? Want to share pictures?

I am planning to have to oil/ condition this saddle and have read numerous threads on suggested tactics so hopefully I will decide on one here soon! I have used Neatsfoot before and have heard rave reviews on the CWD conditioner... Thoughts?

I will update with pictures as soon as I get my hands on the leathery goodness!
    Last edited by hequestrian; Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo - info

Congrats on your new Sensation! I'm dying to buy one myself, but I've got an Innovation and a Stabilizer that fit my horses well enough for now. I showed my High AO horse in a Sensation at a show at the end of last year and rode my baby in one at the last show of this year. When I rode my big jumper in it last year I thought it felt identical to my Innovation (so no point in swapping out), but when I rode my youngster in one at this last show it was like night and day from the Stabilizer, and even from the Innovation on that horse. Of course that might be because my Innovation is just a touch too wide on my baby (which is why I normally ride in my Stablizer on him).

I haven't noticed anything funny about the colors. I would imagine that you just need to oil it up and it will turn into a normal-range color?

Either way congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    but when I rode my youngster in one at this last show it was like night and day from the Stabilizer, and even from the Innovation on that horse. Of course that might be because my Innovation is just a touch too wide on my baby (which is why I normally ride in my Stablizer on him).

I haven't noticed anything funny about the colors. I would imagine that you just need to oil it up and it will turn into a normal-range color?

Either way congrats!
    Thanks! I am seriously so excited. I had a very similar experience with my horse. Although I rode him in the right size tree in the Innovation as well and he really preferred the Sensation. You have a County arsenal! You would be all set if you had the sensation :wink grin:

Did I miss it, or did you say which color te one you are getting is? I have the formerly orange bull leather and it did darken with use and care and is more of a brown now, and looks fine on my lighter bay horse. I oiled some with neatsfoot, and now mostly use Passier Lederbalm as a conditioner.

When I was looking at ordering another for a different horse, I was going to go with the dark brown. He's dark bay and the color looks good, and I was saving a little $ by going with the XTR instead of bull, and the darker brown looked right on that. But he went lame so I didn't order at the time.

Congrats on the new saddle! I've had both Stabilizer and Innovation, and for me, liked the Stabilizer better, but some horses had a distinct preference for one over the other. I'd like to try the Sensation sometime just to check it out, but just don't need to spend the money right now!

Hey, I just had our County rep out 3 weeks ago.

She told me County has decided NOT to manufacture the County Sensation as its own saddle. They didn't want to have 3 different models to make things confusing (Stabilizer, Innovation and Sensation).

BUT, they loved the feedback about the Sensation tree so they are putting it in the County Innovations. From what I understand, any Innovations ordered from like now…forward…will actually have the Sensation tree in them. The tree width sizing will return to more of a normal range - i.e., the Innovations were quite wide so a medium was more like a wide. Now, with the new Sensation tree, a medium Innovation will be a medium…

Stabilizer will remain the Stabilizer, but the Innovation will be new and improved…with the Sensation tree. To me, the feel for the rider was pretty similar (I rode in both the "old" Innovation and the demo Sensation) the rep had. Obviously, Stabilizer was way different.

Quote Originally Posted by hequestrian View Post
    . . .My only reservation was the color options. (see here) They had/ have the medium brown, the oh-range, and then dark brown.
    I remember looking at the County saddles years ago and thinking the colors were hideous. Of the colors you show, I would go with the top (medium) shade, I always prefer to buy a bit lighter and let it darken gradually with oiling, riding and cleaning, until it becomes a deep mahogany shade.

Congratulations on your new saddle.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

The orangey color did NOT darken on my three-year-old Innovation--just happened to get the "bad batch" bull leather. Lucky me. In fact, mine is fading to a light beige color. No joy from County so far. Oiling hasn't helped, as the leather will not take up the oil. Sigh....

I love my saddle, love the fit, but the color is....ugh....
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I have a Stabilizer XTR that I purchased back in about 2004 or so. I, too, sat in the saddle and it was like heaven. It was also a 17" or something large like that and STILL felt better than any other saddle that I had in the past (I take a 15").
    How lucky you are to get a prototype of sorts!!!

My saddle is the medium brown with the lighter seat and knee rolls. The flaps are fading a bit and I have yet to be able to darken them. I have 3 of the Logic girths in different sizes that are also the medium brown. Age has actually faded the color on the underside of the first one that I bought.

What is the bull leather?
    What is the difference in the Sensation tree that puts it above the Innovation tree?
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Did I miss it, or did you say which color te one you are getting is? I have the formerly orange bull leather and it did darken with use and care and is more of a brown now, and looks fine on my lighter bay horse. I oiled some with neatsfoot, and now mostly use Passier Lederbalm as a conditioner.

When I was looking at ordering another for a different horse, I was going to go with the dark brown. He's dark bay and the color looks good, and I was saving a little $ by going with the XTR instead of bull, and the darker brown looked right on that. But he went lame so I didn't order at the time.

Congrats on the new saddle! I've had both Stabilizer and Innovation, and for me, liked the Stabilizer better, but some horses had a distinct preference for one over the other. I'd like to try the Sensation sometime just to check it out, but just don't need to spend the money right now!
    I don't know if I stated it but the saddle that I am getting is going to be around the medium brown (the top girth in the picture I shared) and it is supposed to darken up with oil. I am really excited for the bull leather. It is so soft! My horse is also a darker bay I would say (when he isn't bleached out anyways!).

Quote Originally Posted by TrakeGirl View Post
    Hey, I just had our County rep out 3 weeks ago.

She told me County has decided NOT to manufacture the County Sensation as its own saddle. They didn't want to have 3 different models to make things confusing (Stabilizer, Innovation and Sensation).

BUT, they loved the feedback about the Sensation tree so they are putting it in the County Innovations. From what I understand, any Innovations ordered from like now…forward…will actually have the Sensation tree in them. The tree width sizing will return to more of a normal range - i.e., the Innovations were quite wide so a medium was more like a wide. Now, with the new Sensation tree, a medium Innovation will be a medium…

Stabilizer will remain the Stabilizer, but the Innovation will be new and improved…with the Sensation tree. To me, the feel for the rider was pretty similar (I rode in both the "old" Innovation and the demo Sensation) the rep had. Obviously, Stabilizer was way different.
    That is interesting. I have not heard any mention of that and they even just updated their website to include the Sensation... I find it quite odd that my rep wouldn't have mentioned that seeing as how I greatly preferred the feel of the Sensation I rode in over the Innovation and when I was asking my rep about the differences she said that there were quite a few including the flap and seat - I felt like the Sensation put me closer to my horse than the Innovation and the flap was positioned way better for me. I would have been quite upset had I ordered a Sensation and received an Innovation 12 weeks down the road without any warning. I don't think that having 4-5 jump models is confusing at all... I am not sure how that would be confusing to us but I imagine that if that is happening then they have their reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I remember looking at the County saddles years ago and thinking the colors were hideous. Of the colors you show, I would go with the top (medium) shade, I always prefer to buy a bit lighter and let it darken gradually with oiling, riding and cleaning, until it becomes a deep mahogany shade.

Congratulations on your new saddle.
    Thank you. The saddle that is on its way to me is supposed to be that color and I am definitely going to be at it with some kind of oil (in reasonable amounts, haha) to try to gradually darken it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    The orangey color did NOT darken on my three-year-old Innovation--just happened to get the "bad batch" bull leather. Lucky me. In fact, mine is fading to a light beige color. No joy from County so far. Oiling hasn't helped, as the leather will not take up the oil. Sigh....

I love my saddle, love the fit, but the color is....ugh....
    Did you ever talk to your rep about it? I feel like they should be doing something for you on that issue if you bought the saddle new... With the demo I had they said that they would not guarantee the color aspect of the leather because they had disclosed that it was at a reduced price due to that issue. :/ I am sorry your saddle hasn't turned out as you would have hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori View Post
    I have a Stabilizer XTR that I purchased back in about 2004 or so. I, too, sat in the saddle and it was like heaven. It was also a 17" or something large like that and STILL felt better than any other saddle that I had in the past (I take a 15").
    How lucky you are to get a prototype of sorts!!!

My saddle is the medium brown with the lighter seat and knee rolls. The flaps are fading a bit and I have yet to be able to darken them. I have 3 of the Logic girths in different sizes that are also the medium brown. Age has actually faded the color on the underside of the first one that I bought.

What is the bull leather?
    What is the difference in the Sensation tree that puts it above the Innovation tree?
    I am super excited for my saddle. The bull leather is a softer grippier leather IMO. I think that the options were smooth, XTR, or Bull and I didn't even bother really considering the other options because I knew I wanted the softest grippiest I could get.

This is the "brochure" I found on the Sensation. But I guess that the saddle has longer tree points? All I knew was that it was better for my horse and he moved way way better in that saddle than any other and I was sold!

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond. My saddle will be here tomorrow hopefully! Yay!

I have an Innovation in dark brown bull and I looooooooove it!!! I like the look of a well broken-in conker/oakbark, except for the stirrup area that is always dark brown (looks manky n beat up to me)
    The dark brown at least looks uniform, and imo, nowhere near blk as you break it in

Thank you for the great links!!! My saddle is the XTR. I don't remember the Bull leather. I cannot imagine what would be grippier than the XTR leather!! Post pics of your saddle when you get it. I would love to see it!!

This is the "brochure" I found on the Sensation. But I guess that the saddle has longer tree points? All I knew was that it was better for my horse and he moved way way better in that saddle than any other and I was sold!

Thanks everyone for taking time to respond. My saddle will be here tomorrow hopefully! Yay![/QUOTE]
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Langfuhr View Post
    I have an Innovation in dark brown bull and I looooooooove it!!! I like the look of a well broken-in conker/oakbark, except for the stirrup area that is always dark brown (looks manky n beat up to me)
    The dark brown at least looks uniform, and imo, nowhere near blk as you break it in
    Hmm... Hopefully it won't look manky or beat up after I use it... I might cry.

Thank you for the great links!!! My saddle is the XTR. I don't remember the Bull leather. I cannot imagine what would be grippier than the XTR leather!! Post pics of your saddle when you get it. I would love to see it!!
    Thanks I definitely will share pictures.

I have the Innovation in the Dark Brown (XTR leather) and it looks lovely on my really dark brown mare.

The dark brown & XTR is gorgeous
    - ordered a Stabilizer in the chestnut just for contrast with the dark brown dressage (sadly no suitable demos available for FP, so saddle is ... somewhen ...

Can't wait to see the Sensation photos!

It's here!!! Wahoo.

Here is an initial picture. I am going out to the barn shortly to ride and then I will come back with more pictures... BEST DAY EVER!

I think that this color should deepen to a nice color over time.
    Last edited by hequestrian; Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM. Reason: links not working

Its beeeeautiful!!!! God, Id love to get a noseful of the new County saddle smell now!!

Aaaahhh, don't you love the look of the sharp green county button???

Lol, I decided to buy a county after riding in my trainer's stabilizer (with a black button) and I was very clear when the county rep fitted my horse that my saddle must have a green button!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Langfuhr View Post
    Its beeeeautiful!!!! God, Id love to get a noseful of the new County saddle smell now!!
    I think I have been a little intoxicated with the new smell, haha. And everyone at the barn was oohing and ahhing...

Quote Originally Posted by VTMorgan06 View Post
    Aaaahhh, don't you love the look of the sharp green county button???

Lol, I decided to buy a county after riding in my trainer's stabilizer (with a black button) and I was very clear when the county rep fitted my horse that my saddle must have a green button!!!
    Haha well for the price I don't think a sharp green button is too much to ask for.

Just put a liberal coat of oil on my saddle We will see how it turns out!

Thank you for the photos! Your saddle is beautiful! I love County saddles.
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Default Oiled

Thank you for the photos! Your saddle is beautiful! I love County saddles.
    Thanks. I am in saddle heaven!

I just applied a liberal coat of oil and it took really well. I don't know what it will look like tomorrow when it is dry but right now it is a nice deep color.

Here
    Last edited by hequestrian; Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.