The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Reproduction books?

I have been searching high and low for a copy of the 2nd edition of Equine Reproduction, by Angus O. McKinnon (well, edited by him and three others, but he's the first name on the list). I was hoping maybe someone here would have one that they are looking to rehome (not necessarily for free!) or loan out? I have seen some for sale on Amazon, but I'd really like to avoid spending hundreds of dollars on a book if possible. I checked my "interlibrary loan program", and they are unable to get the book as well. Bummer!!

Also, would love to know anyone who has any sort of breeding books that they aren't using or are collecting dust! I'd love to start breeding my own little library.

Another thought... Would anyone be interested in a sort of 'book club' to exchange/loan titles with each other? Or am I the only one gasping for air at the cost of these books??
    Lorelei Farm - Welsh and Riding Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for hunters, dressage and driving!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei Welsh View Post
    I have been searching high and low for a copy of the 2nd edition of Equine Reproduction, by Angus O. McKinnon (well, edited by him and three others, but he's the first name on the list). I was hoping maybe someone here would have one that they are looking to rehome (not necessarily for free!) or loan out? I have seen some for sale on Amazon, but I'd really like to avoid spending hundreds of dollars on a book if possible. I checked my "interlibrary loan program", and they are unable to get the book as well. Bummer!!

Also, would love to know anyone who has any sort of breeding books that they aren't using or are collecting dust! I'd love to start breeding my own little library.

Another thought... Would anyone be interested in a sort of 'book club' to exchange/loan titles with each other? Or am I the only one gasping for air at the cost of these books??
    The second edition hasn't been out terribly long, so probably won't find it used/cheap anywhere yet. I just got mine, so not ready to loan it out yet, but if it makes you feel better it is actually two books in the newest edition, plus a DVD for each book One entire book is all about the foal, i.e. dystocias, foal medicine, etc, which the original edition hardly covered at all. It is steep at $400+, but certainly it is the "bible" right now for foals and breeding
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I have the first edition -- actually signed by Squires when I was taking their short course out at CSE way back when...and yes, it is collecting dust.

Very heavy reading, but was the most comprehensive in its day.

(BTW, Wendy Valla was not a contributor in the first edition -- but then kind of glad. Long, bad tragic and preventable situation with my late term mare who I had to send into the "high risk mare program" at New Bolton that she ran at the time.) I don't forgive easily that which is preventable..

That said, I believe that Pickett was a contributor...maybe Shidler too. Experts of the day. Shidler was a delightful man who really pioneered in the mare aspect of the breeding equation.

PM me if you think the 1st edition is something you'd be interested in.