The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aussie puppy WATCHES t.v.

My puppy is six months old now, and while I've had dogs all my life she's my first Aussie. She is very smart. That I expected. But I've never had a dog who will watch t.v. and seem to follow what's going on..for a few minutes anyway.

Is this common with herding breeds?

I don't know about herding breeds, but Pirate (possibly a lab mix, not sure, pound puppy) does sometimes watch TV. He seems to only like certain nature shows and occasionally football.

(Since we don't have cable and thus no nature-all-the-time channel, and we're not big football fans, he ends up not watching very much. )

MrB's parents' Boston terrier charges at the tv when certain commercials come on the air that have animals. They watch mostly the same few channels, and she's learned what music/jingles bring the animals.
    When she stayed with us, animal planet and nat geo were off limits. Dog would go nuts.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

My lab pup (well she's a year and a half now) will watch TV if you point it out to her. The other day an agility competition was on TV and I was like "hey K, look at the dogs!" and she watched for a bit of time before she got bored.

Both her and my mutt will watch a bit of TV if there are barking dogs but they don't spend much time watching the TV.

We have a Westie who watches TV. I wonder if the new flat screens w/the very realistic depth makes them more aware/interested in it.

My lab will occasionally watch TV.

My grandparents' dogs will watch TV as well if they're really bored

My dog and I watch Dogs 101 every Sunday while lounging in bed. She only pays attention during the parts with puppies though.

She also loves nature documentaries and occasionally watches other tv, too.

I read that old tvs used to be boring to dogs, because they see movement way faster than us. Old tvs flash pictures super fast so to humans it looked like motion but to dogs it was just super fast flashes of still images. Now, with the better digital tvs we have now it looks normal to dogs, too.

My current pound puppy (now 2.5 yrs old) watches tv and will come in from the other room to watch it when I turn it on. He will bark and talk to the dogs on the screen which at first is totally cute, now, not so much.

he will also watch me play Wii.

Chicken Derby, I wondered if the new flat HD TVs allowed the dogs to 'see' the tv better.

Ahhh yes the wii. Another thing we couldn't do around the Boston? She would spend the whole time we played wii tennis highly offended (and vocal) that we hadn't thrown the -bleeping- sticks yet. It was very distracting!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

My cat would watch, but only when there was a four legged animal, and the picture showed it moving(so you could see the gait), the shot was from a distance and there was sharp contrast. She loved watching a western with a long shots of a dark horse galloping across a desert. Most animal shows switch between distance and close up shots. She couldn't make sense of the close up shots and lost interest.

My aussie will watch TV sometimes. He likes shows with animal sounds and movement.

I would support any movement to get doorbell and car horn sounds banned from the airways though. Every.Single.Time. a doorbell or car horn sounds on TV all five of my dogs run barking for the door. Annoying as hell.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Sometimes my Malinois will watch it. A funny thing, though, occurred with my Ridgeback once. I was watching Animal Planet and there was a dog show on. He was watching the tv, which he really normally does not. He was following the ball with his head going from one side of the screen to the other. Then when the guy on TV threw the ball once, and the TV dog went to chase it, my dog ran to the other side of the TV to where the ball surely was about to pop out! Haa. It was pretty funny. Gotta love 'em.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

my dogs in general only watch when a dog is on the screen. However, my great dane used to LOVE to watch nature shows. He really got into the ones with those nasty weasle-things (meerkats?) and would keenly watch the entire epsiode and thump his tail in appreciation at their antics. He also would get really excited and bellow at the screen whenever big cats were shown hunting.

That's funny, Wendy.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

A now-deceased golden retriever that I knew would happily watch tv for as long as you didn't change the channel from Animal Planet. When she was a young dog, she would often stop and watch planes high up in the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    my dogs in general only watch when a dog is on the screen. However, my great dane used to LOVE to watch nature shows. He really got into the ones with those nasty weasle-things (meerkats?) and would keenly watch the entire epsiode and thump his tail in appreciation at their antics. He also would get really excited and bellow at the screen whenever big cats were shown hunting.
    Hahaha. We used to have a dog who thought hamsters were the most Fascinating Things Ever. If you took him to a pet friendly pet store where they had hamsters in aquariums, he'd just stand there watching for as long as you'd let him. I bet he would've loved Meerkat Manor.

Funny stories. My Malinois happily "chases" the birds and even airplanes that are flying overhead. Um...pup, you're gonna have to jump REAL high to reach that "birdy". I never had a dog that noticed things that high in the air before.
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

My pitbull absolutely loves watching tv. When I leave him inside the house when I go out at night, I make sure to leave Animal Planet on for him. It's the only thing that keeps him entertained so he doesn't tear the house up

My cur used to watch TV a ton when she was younger. She once very alertly watched an entire episode of American Idol.

My young dog, who is half BC, adores TV. He not only watches any dogs, he watched a lot of the jumping at Spruce Meadows the other day, and I once stayed up way too late in a motel room at an agility trial, because he was watching Shrek and fascinated. I felt bad turning it off on him so I could go to sleep. I didn't get a lot of sympathy the next day when I was complaining I was tired because my puppy stayed up late watching a cartoon.

My Aussie puppy really loves to change the channel and adjust the volume frequently. But that's just because she sits on the remote a lot.