The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smile Jingles/prayers/thoughts for Seamus -- HAPPY UPDATE WITH PICS! :D :D

(Link to pics: in post #62 on page 4 )

If you can spare a good wish or a positive vibe for my dear old border collie today I would be so, so grateful.... he's fighting hard but it's touch and go.

Seamus is almost 14 but aside from the grey face and the deaf ears you would never know it -- he is just about the sunniest, most positive soul on the planet. (We laugh about how he would wag his tail while getting yelled at -- "hey, I know you're mad but you're still paying attention to me and that's awesome!!") He had laryngeal tie-back surgery a few months ago and it gave him a new lease on life -- full of energy, great appetite, etc. He was fine till Monday morning when he vomited; he seemed ok for the day but started getting really sick Monday night. It appears he has a bit of a gastric ulcer from his Previcoxx, but worse, his lung rads look really bad and his white cell count is low. He either has bad aspiration pneumonia or lung cancer.

He is such a fighter -- I believe with all my heart that he still wants to be here so I want to fight for him till he says "enough". He is so happy to see us; he still has an appetite and is not cyanotic, but his breathing is laboured. The next couple of days will be critical.

Seamus was a rescue (a "real" one -- abandoned in an apartment and brought to the Human Society by the landlady) who has given us back our love 1,000 fold.

Thanks -- I know you folks know what we're going through.
    Last edited by fargaloo; Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: The BEST reason -- a happy update!!! :)

TONS of jingles from Massachusetts!!!!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Jingling!
    www.ctannerjensen.com
    http://ctannerjensen.blogspot.com/
    Equine Art capturing the essence of the grace,strength, and beauty of the Sport Horse."

big jingles, poor guy. Godspeed.

Best wishes and positive vibes for you and Seamus!!

Poor pupper. Border collies are my favorite...

Thanks, guys.

I feel so sorry for my daughter -- today is her first day of University and she's out of town. It's hard on her.

Jingles from CT!!

I have a 14.5 year old lab that had laryngeal tie-back surgery a year ago. She had aspiration pneumonia 2 weeks after that, and it was touch and go for a while. Now every time she vomits or regurgitates, I'm terrified she's going to get it again. Thankfully, we've had a fantastic year with her that we didn't think we were going to get, and while she moves slowly due to arthritis, she is by no means ready to give up any time soon!

Hopefully this is just a set back, and he's back to his normal self before long!!

My son was at scout camp when our old dog got very ill (she recovered). He was devastated that he wasn't home.

Sometimes they can recover, my dog seemed at death's door and she is still here, a year later, moving a bit slowly but still enjoying life. She's half border collie, too.

Sometimes it's just time for them to go. You are doing the right thing no matter what decision you make.

Jingles from NC!!! It's so hard to watch our our pups as they age... especially when they're ill! Hugs to you!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Jingles. I hope he'll give you a clear message when it's time. ((hugs))
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Jingling for you and your dog. I know what it's like to have such a sunny animal; when they are sick, it's heartbreaking.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Jingles & Prayers sent your way!! {Hugs} for you
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Thanks so much for all the support and the encouraging stories (onyx98 --so great to hear that!). You guys are wonderful.

I'm trying to stay positive -- my gut tells me it's not his time yet. However, I won't be blinded by what *I* want. I'm hoping for a clear message, too. Whatever happens, I am so glad we did this surgery -- at the very worst, we've had a wonderful summer with him that we wouldn't have otherwise had. Of course, I'm hoping for more.

Major jingles from a BC/mix owner in Ok. Tough dogs!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Jingles for your good pal.

Lots of jingles from VA coming your way!!!!

Jingles and prayers!

I knew a Border Collie when I was a child. He used to go swimming in the creek near our home and was the father of my very favorite dog ever--a Collie - Border Collie cross who would come from anywhere when I whistled, even jumping 4' foot fences to get to me.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Crazy how much support you can feel from strangers -- strangers who "get it" .

The vet called and said he's holding his own, for the time being. Not really better, but not worse. I'm choosing to take that as a good sign

Nice to see all the bc fans here. He's my first one and I was not prepared for a dog who is my intellectual peer!! We always joke that we are just waiting for him to start speaking English.

Wow, the house feels so empty with Seamus and Sophie (DD) not here. I was working from home a lot this summer and when I'd work outside on my laptop he was always right at my feet. Crazy how much (metaphorical, if not physical) space they take up in your lives....

Thanks for listening to my rambling. You guys are helping me through a tough day, so blessings to all of you.

Sending many many jingles from my sweet old dog and my own Seamus-dog...