The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How many XC jumps to you lunge your OTTB over?

Clinton Anderson does hundreds!! I saw this show this winter and was amazed. Quite a tough OTTB to jump up and down banks and over coops etc that many times! This show is on tonight at 8 on Dish channet 404 on HRTV.

I don't get it.

I reschool OTTBs too and have evented through advanced. Never had to do this to one.

See what you think. Count how many jumps he does and see what you come up with.

What don't you get ?

Is your point that you think Clinton is working the horse too hard (I often agree here), is plain old nuts for working a horse over cross country jumps, or that OTTB's are inherently fragile? Gotta make it more obvious if you want a bandwagon jump.

Honestly, in moderation, I think it's a rather fun idea.
    Quarry Rat

Color me confused as well.

Sorry.

I don't understand why anyone would think lunging a horse over THAT many XC jumps would be useful in any way (I don't do it at all.) After a few times it is counter productive. Makes the horse think jumping is not any FUN!

That is what I LOVE about eventing. My horses think it is FUN to jump!

If he is not doing it to produce an event horse, what the hell is he doing it for? The horse ends up exhausted to what end? I understand doing it as an exercise to get a horse used to things but why so many times?

Doesn't make sense to me.

I believe pwynn does a lot of her early jump training from the ground, including schooling cross country questions. Her horses seem pretty nimble and catty and good with their feet. I can see the argument that allowing them to figure out their bodies over some of the questions without the weight of a rider throwing them off balance could be beneficial. Maybe not hundreds in one day but over the course of a couple of weeks, I don't have a huge problem.

ETA I don't think jumping w/o a rider is any less FUN for the horse than jumping with a rider, in fact could be more fun because there's less weight and no balance shifts. Michael Jung schools some xc almost every day. Assuming one is not as talented as Michael Jung, schooling fromt he ground might be easier on the horse.

I guess I would have to see the same vid you're talking about. But if you're XC schooling, or riding in a clinic, wouldn't you be doing something similar? Going over the same fence time and time again? As for it being TOO much work, again I would have to see it...clearly upper level eventers are put through pretty tough courses and 20-30 something jumps, but I can see how doing it on a lunge line would be more strenuous.

How big were the jumps? Were they small, just to teach the concepts (maybe for trail riders) of ditches, banks, etc?

I dunno. I'm not a Clinton fan, but I wouldn't do a double take if I saw someone lunging XC. I'd assume the horse needs work and for whatever reason the rider wanted to do it from the ground...

If it's similar to the one I've seen there are ditches, banks, shelves and the like and not many actual 'jumps'. I do agree Clinton overworks the horses, but I really like the idea of schooling over obstacles like that, maybe a couple times a week a couple times through each obstacle. I'm pretty sure his purpose in doing it is to get the horse listening to him more and being responsive. He's certainly not doing it because he's specifically making an eventer out of a horse though.

Disclaimer: I used to really like Clinton's 'program' waaaay back when he started, but I currently find him very distasteful - in my opinion he overworks and overbends horses to a GREAT degree.
    Quarry Rat

I'm sure they are more skilled than I am with a lunge line, but I see great potential to "unbalance" a horse with a lunge line when doing jumps - can't really do a straight approach, the line and handler is applying pressure only from one side of the horse, etc. It just sounds like a not-very-good idea. Free-jumping is a great exercise, but I'm not so convinced about the "goodness" of jumping a horse on a lunge line.
    Maybe setting up some kind of "chute" with x-c type jumps and driving the horse up the chute like they do with free-jumping chutes?

He doesn't longe properly, there isn't pressure on the line. He expects them to keep it slack at all times.
    Quarry Rat

I have nothing to say about Clinton Anderson as I don't know anything about him.

How many XC jumps would I longe my OTTB over? All of them. I'm neither an experienced nor a confident XC rider. Why would I inflict my riding on a green horse? Let him figure it out on his own a few times, then I'd get on.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.