The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which senior food would you chose & why?

I have access to Seminole Wellness Senior, Triple Crown Senior, Purina Equine Senior, Nutrena Senior.
    I currently feed the Wellness Senior & love it but old gelding choked on it 2 days ago. I'm now making a mash out of it but noticed that the alfalfa-type pellets in it just won't dissolve. Don't like that. I even soaked it for at least 20 minutes in very warm water. Still had to mash most up by hand. It might just be this batch as I've never noticed it being this hard before.
    The Wellness & the Triple Crown are the only ones with high fat levels that I want @ 10%. The others are around 5%.
    Anyway which feeds do you use & why? I'm leaning towards trying the triple crown.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I generally don't use senior feeds. What are you trying to accomplish with it? I find that a base of well-soaked beet pulp, with added flax or rice bran or even canola oil, is a good diet for seniors. Flavored with oats if they can eat them... if it's just for flavor, I don't mind too much if the oats go through undigested. The birds are pretty happy about it too! I've never had a horse choke on oats if they are stirred into a mash of the ingredients I listed above.

As an aside, I don't know why anyone would make a senior feed that didn't dissolve to a completely featureless moosh when wet. Most people I know with senior horses want or will eventually want that feature.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Triple Crown Senior will soak right up for ya and it's an awesome feed. I brought back a whole barn of skinny horses in just 6 weeks on that stuff.

I'm not a fan of Purina or Nutrena feeds. You can't go wrong with TC Senior.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

For your purposes, go with TC.

I do feed the Nutrena Life Design Senior and I've been pleased with it, but I'm only feeding it to a QH pasture puff for whom the moderate fat content is perfect. 10% plus would be overkill for him. The only real concern with him is that he has terrible teeth, even for a 19-year-old, and the Life Design soaks thoroughly and quickly.
    "Why would anybody come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make sense!"

TC Senior all the way!

It also has a low NSC at 11%

I fed it to my mare last year when she ulcers and got SKINNY. I like that is high in fat...I mean, most are around 6% or so, and most older horses need weight!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I would prefer to just use beet pulp and/or soaked alfalfa cubes and add vitamins/minerals/extras as needed. Never been a fan of "life stage" foods, really--too much junk in there that most of them don't even need. If the critter needed the extra protein I'd add some of my 32% ration balancer, which soaks down nicely into mush. If extra fat is required just add corn oil.
    Click here before you buy.

Tc senior. Best stuff I've every used on my old ones. It's a forage that can also supplement for hay. Is the choke because the horse cant properly chew anymore? If so you run that risk with hay also. They will choke just as easy on hay. I would switch to tc senior and soak it, it will mush right up.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I loff TC Senior as well. I think it's an all around great feed, not just a life stage one for seniors. I do not soak, so can't comment on that aspect of it, by my older girl looks fab and is doing so much better since I switched her to it last winter.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Purina Equine Senior. Highest palatability of any one we've tried. Nutrition profiles aren't worth a bucket of warm spit if the horse won't eat it.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

We use TC Senior. Love it.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Default Say NO to molasses

I have 2 seniors, one 26 and one 29 years old. I had a bad scare with my 29 year old toothless mare who cannot eat grass or hay a month or two ago. She started having cushings like symptoms. I had already deleted molasses out of her diet and started feeding her an extruded pellet (Ener-G) made by MidSouth feeds. It is a low starch, high fiber, high fat pellet. In addition I started feeding her 3 times a day as opposed to twice a day. I feed her well soaked plain beet pulp pellets and alfafa cubes for all three meals. Morning and evening I add the MidSouth Pellets and alfalfa pellets. In the evening I also add a SmartOmega3 supplement. Her cushings symptoms dissappeared and she gained back some weight she had lost. Her energy has increased and I'm riding her again. I can't believe the difference in just a few months.

It can be challenging to feed a senior horse. I found that as the horse ages his needs can change dramatically. What worked last year no longer worked this year. I believe her blood sugar was all over the place on the previous twice a day feeding plan. Feeding her three times a day and deleting molasses from her diet has improved her condition to the point where we are back to riding again. Nothing strenuous but still, I thought she was permanently retired.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by BoyleHeightsKid View Post
    Triple Crown Senior will soak right up for ya and it's an awesome feed. I brought back a whole barn of skinny horses in just 6 weeks on that stuff.

I'm not a fan of Purina or Nutrena feeds. You can't go wrong with TC Senior.
    I just had a little problem with the TC Senior. The bag before last just wasn't breaking down as fast as they normally do. A call to Triple Crown got me a coupon for a free bag. The new bag I just bought (different lot) is breaking down just fine. I do soak it for at least 30 minutes now, and it's fine.

I love Triple Crown!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I just recently had to decide on a senior feed to feed my horse. My vet said that Nutrena Senior tends to be higher in sugar. And I know Purina feed has its own issues. I chose to go with Triple Crown Senior and I love it and my horse REALLY LOVES it. I have heard good things about Seminole feeds also but have never fed it.
    LILY-13yr APHA/PtHA mare**LUKE-11yr Rescue Haflinger gelding (being leased out)**ANNIE-7yr AQHA mare

TC Senior all the way. It is a wonderful, high quality feed, low NSC, and soaks into a nice mush. My 3 seniors, 18, 20, and 25 look fantastic on it with dark, shiny coats and plenty of energy.

And I know Purina feed has its own issues
    May I ask what you believe/know those "issues" are, exactly? It is a hobby of mine to collect peoples' convictions on why Purina has "issues", what the issues are exactly, and how they came to those conclusions.

Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    May I ask what you believe/know those "issues" are, exactly? It is a hobby of mine to collect peoples' convictions on why Purina has "issues", what the issues are exactly, and how they came to those conclusions.

Well, I know they are big on changing their formulas and while they think it helped keep pricing down (watched that part on RFDTV on a conversation from a Purina rep) it affected my horse pretty drastically because he has allergies and the constant changing kept triggering his allergies...Im not exactly a 100% on what part they change but I do know that while on the feed he kept having constant ups and downs and fluctuations in his weight and his allergies. I tried several different feeds from Purina and had the same results with every one. I took him off Purina and he stopped with the ups and downs. I have been all over him medically while on the feeds and nothing else was being changed during this and it was a pretty in depth evaluation by me, my vet and my equine dentist who has a background in nutrition. Thats just my first hand experiance with the feeds but I have heard other speculations on some other things as well.
    LILY-13yr APHA/PtHA mare**LUKE-11yr Rescue Haflinger gelding (being leased out)**ANNIE-7yr AQHA mare

Dissenting on Triple Crown Senior.

My mare and my other 8 horses were on TS Senior until I discovered that it does not break down.
    TC senior is mostly beet pulp based. Because of that, the shreds are well, large as in the size of my little finger...not all of them, but it became more the norm than not, and I decided to look around for something different for her.

I feed TC senior to my 8 horses, but for my mare that has a tendency to choke, I do not feed tc senior anymore. I feed a ration balancer and alfalfa pellets and hay stretcher pellets which are all soaked. They all are mush, and it takes awhile for them to soak. The ration balancer soaks fairly quickly, but the alf pellets and hay stretcher needs a good hour.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Well gosh. All of these reports make me want to just stay with the Wellness Senior. It's only a very few pellets that are slow to break down. I just need to soak it longer. I agree the TC is probably a great food too. Not a great fan of either Nutrena or Purina but I do have a broodmare & foal on Purina Ultium Growth & it seems to be putting weight on her.
    The Wellness does have those wonderful herbs that stimulate appetite & my guy has always looked great on it. My only concern with it is that one pellet but in the past I never noticed that before. Maybe like that one bag of TC a poster said she had that was slow to break down. Just a fluke I hope.
    Thanks everyone for all of the information. Really helps.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

My "issues" with Purina Equine Senior (and they're not really issues, just reasons why I like TC better ) is that it's not fixed formula and I've seen the NSC referenced as anywhere from 17-22%. Which isn't horrible or even really bad, just not nearly as good as the 11.7% NSC of TC Senior.

And it's 5.5% fat, compared to TCS at 10%...more calories there.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My mare loved her TC senior and it always broke down into a nice mush which is necessary for her because of her choke history. We also have seniors on TC complete and Wellness senior with very good results.

I got two disgusting bags of Purina Senior with these weird clumps of fat/oil (?) and a weird consistency. Bad bags happen but the dealer was completely unfazed and told me to just "break up that lump of stuff and mix it back in. not a big deal. it happens all the time." Maybe this guy was just an idiot but if that kind of quality is acceptable then I don't want to support them with my money.