The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Default Building jumps - liverpools

So I figured I should say thank you to those who contributed ideas to my old (OLD!) post inquiring about building a liverpool. I bought all the materials sometime last year and then decided to do the Adult Ammy hunters and equitation with my mare and never got around to building it. Now that we're planning on a couple clinics with GM in April and August in 2013 (hopefully!), I figured we should get to it and make it a regular thing in our lessons/rides since it's always a key part of his clinics. My mare hates them and I'd rather not be the girl getting GM's lunge whip assistance over the liverpool sans stirrups (I would cry! seriously...)

Anyways, some replacement boat seat fabric from JoAnne's, a few pool noodles, a can of adhesive spray, and an hour later, I now have my very own liverpool for less than $100. Here's the pics of it, complete with rubber ducky:
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/...liverpool2.jpg
    http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/.../liverpool.jpg

The good? I now have a decent liverpool without spending $300+ buying a legit one. The bad? I now have the desire to continue building jumps.

Over a liverpool, stirrupless, being chased by GM with a lunge whip? I think I would cry too!

Are those all the materials you used? This might be a project I'd like to take up...

Quote Originally Posted by big_red_ottb View Post
    Over a liverpool, stirrupless, being chased by GM with a lunge whip? I think I would cry too!

Are those all the materials you used? This might be a project I'd like to take up...
    Yup! All that I've used, for now at least. I might add a plywood frame/border to it if it ends up staying in the arena full time. I'm kind of afraid of my trainer's hubby plowing it over while dragging the arena so it's going to have temporary stays in there at first...but I'm sure I'll get lazy eventually and want to just leave it there. So when/if that happens, I'll be adding the plywood to the bottom of it.

And yes, seriously my worst night mare! Aside from him clucking at me and telling me I'm a chicken. Both of these things happened at his last clinic that my trainer and I audited and agreed that they were likely scenarios for me if I didn't get my butt in gear. Horse kind of turns into the stereotypical "16h chestnut mare" when she sees a liverpool.....and I either grow a set and get her over it.....or I turn into the turtle-y, praying, useless amateur rider. But it's usually the later, then the former...in that order.

Quote Originally Posted by Rio Blanco View Post
    Yup! All that I've used, for now at least. I might add a plywood frame/border to it if it ends up staying in the arena full time. I'm kind of afraid of my trainer's hubby plowing it over while dragging the arena so it's going to have temporary stays in there at first...but I'm sure I'll get lazy eventually and want to just leave it there. So when/if that happens, I'll be adding the plywood to the bottom of it.

And yes, seriously my worst night mare! Aside from him clucking at me and telling me I'm a chicken. Both of these things happened at his last clinic that my trainer and I audited and agreed that they were likely scenarios for me if I didn't get my butt in gear. Horse kind of turns into the stereotypical "16h chestnut mare" when she sees a liverpool.....and I either grow a set and get her over it.....or I turn into the turtle-y, praying, useless amateur rider. But it's usually the later, then the former...in that order.
    Coolness! I'll have to collect the materials...I'm working on finding the scariest, most-likely-to-look-like-it-will-eat-him, fences now that he's pretty solid in jumping...who knows if he'll ever encounter a liverpool in the show ring, but I would rather know it won't be a problem than hope it won't be a problem as I approach one...

Never seen one of his clinics, but he sounds brutal...I don't know if I'd be brave enough to ride with him! Then again I suppose you take so much out of it that it's worth it. I'm definitely glad my guy is pretty mellow about new stuff....there's the initial "what is THAT????" looky jump and then it's pretty ho-hum from there...but I've definitely been the AA turtle before on some horses!

Excellent liverpool! I'm just now starting to think about building my own open water jump. Why the boat material rather than a tarp? Is it because it's sturdier?

I lucked out with my TB in the GP ring and he did his first (and second, and so on) open water jump without ever having schooled anything like it. But I just don't think my WB baby is going to be as easy. And then my mental wheels really started turning when we had an option fence at the last show that was an 8' black water jump. So I thought that would be perfect for schooling at home. It looked like the black pit of death under the jump, so I shall be building a black pit of death and a blue water jump before next spring gets here

I like the sound of "black pit of death." The scarier, the better!

Just wanted to chime in that there is a genious cheap and easy Liverpool substitute that you can even take to shows for the warm-up ring: a blue yoga mat! Just unroll it and voila!
    friend of bar.ka

My horse thinks water is the devil. It took us nearly a full lesson to get him over his first liverpool. It was not fun. He is nearly as unwilling to go over water or puddles on the ground, which can be a problem when it rains.

I learned his aversion to getting his feet wet shortly after I first brought him home when we had a big rain and I had to walk him through a pretty wide "puddle" to get him into his paddock. He refused to step in it at all so I had to cross it and stand on the other end and encourage him over. When he finally figured out he didn't have a choice he rocked back and jumped it. I looked at the foot marks in the ground and there were about 10 ft between take off and landing - I knew I had a good jumper!

I was a little concerned about this, but since i want him to be a jumper and not an eventer, my trainer told me he doesn't have to walk through water, he just has to go over it. I think it is hilarious that he would rather jump 4 ft across then put his foot in a 1 or 2 inch deep puddle, but at least I know he won't be sticking a foot in the middle of the wide water jumps once we start encountering them in our classes.

Since I want him to go over water jumps without stopping or hesitating, I have turned the current Florida flood season into a daily training exercise. I take him out and either ride or had walk him over every jumpable puddle I can find. He doesn't have to step in the water, but he has to go over it. He is getting to where he looks a little but goes everytime and we even jumped a little puddle combination the other day. Of course, everyone at the barn laughs when they see us doing it, but better they laugh now than we get dq'd at a show later.

Looks great! How many yards of the marine upholstery fabric did you end up using? Looks very nice. Love the sucky.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Excellent liverpool! I'm just now starting to think about building my own open water jump. Why the boat material rather than a tarp? Is it because it's sturdier?

I lucked out with my TB in the GP ring and he did his first (and second, and so on) open water jump without ever having schooled anything like it. But I just don't think my WB baby is going to be as easy. And then my mental wheels really started turning when we had an option fence at the last show that was an 8' black water jump. So I thought that would be perfect for schooling at home. It looked like the black pit of death under the jump, so I shall be building a black pit of death and a blue water jump before next spring gets here

I chose to use the boating fabric over a tarp for durability, and it doesn't make the same kind of noise when dirt hits it (it's more muffled on the boat seat fabric, like that of a legit liverpool, verses the tarp). I also wanted to be able to fill it with water and not worry about it leaking after the first few uses. Plus, I work at TSC and the tarps get cheaper and cheaper quality every year it seems, so it would've cost around the same to get a decent tarp that won't rip as the boat seat fabric.

Paradox Farm - I used whatever the stock width was (I think 4ft?) and then got 9ft length. The final thing ended up being about 3' x 6.5' which works pretty good for my uses. It's just big enough to look like a legit one without being too big and having to fold it.