The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help me spend some some money!!!

I recently sold a horse, and after paying bills, will have a couple hundred dollars left, that I want to spend on the horse I still have.

The big thing that I need is some xcountry boots. I have been using either open fronts or borrowed boots. We are only competing at the BN level right now, but my mare has potential for at least training, and I'd like to get a nice pair of boots that will last a while.

I was originally in love with the Dalmars, but the possiblility of a cut tendon, however small, has scared me away from them. I saw the Premiers at Rolex and the quality didn't look that high to me. Right now I am torn between ecogolds and the NEW boots. I like the idea of the ecogolds shaping to fit, but I am concerned about heat trapping... What do you all think?

The other thing I need to invest in is some breeches. all of mine are second hand and well worn, and don't fit all that well. I had one pair rip practically in half along my crotch during my xc lesson this week and I have decided its time to upgrade. I don't want to spend more than 150-200 on breeches, and would like to get at least a schooling pair and show pair. I am very short and round at the moment, if that affects brand choice...

The one thing I don't really need, but kind of want... is a helmet cam! Who has them, and are they worth the money, if only for the enterainment factor? What brands are good, and how easy are they to work?

I am also going to get a baucher bit to try, a new dressage girth, and a few other things, but these are the biggest.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions!

Ok! Spending other peoples money is fun!!!

Boots: I have and really like the premiers. I know you weren't impressed, but... They have held up well, easy to clean. My horse wears his for hacking, gallops and horse trials. I surprisingly really like them. Light and cool too.

Breeches: My new favs are the Fits Beka- VTO sells for 136 ish. They are Fits take on side zip h/j breeches. I love, love, love them! Very flattering, wide waist band, tummy control, mid rise, nice fabric, variety of colors. Also gusseted crotch, great for sitting trot torture lessons

I also recently bought a pair of Tuff rider full seats from dover, about $75, wide waist band, mid rise, relaxed fit through thighs. Very nice for the price.

No suggestions on helmet cams.

There are lots of good breeches for less then $150.

I have these and I love them: http://www.doversaddlery.com/eq-cout...FcV7Qgod3VEAAw

Also check the classifieds section on HGS for lots of nice used breeches for great prices.

I saw the N.E.W. boots in the tack store and was really happy with them. They are super lightweight and look like they will breathe really well. I haven't purchased them yet but would like to eventually.

Yay! Congrats on some extra spending money

For boots I honestly reccomend the NEWs. I got mine on eBay for pretty cheap and if you keep your eyes peeled on ebay you can get some good deals on boots/breeches. I also like the Kentuckys, but I have only used them about 10 times since getting them two weeks ago. I cannot comment about how they hold up, but I really like them.

I am not a fan of the Dalmars, but actually am a fan of the Premiers. I love the back boot 100x better then the Dalmars which are a pain in the butt. Have no idea how they hold up, but a woman at the barn uses them and loves them.

I have the Woof Ultras and I am not a fan. They slip even when taped like crazy. Also they held up badly for the year that I have lightly used them now only for flatting as they slip on the 4 diffrent horses they have been on when galloping. Not woth the money.

I like regular Woofs especially if you are only wanting to do training. I like the double locks and the 4/5 straps. I have a ton and they have held up well and I get them on ebay for cheap all the time. Never had an issue with them and honestly for the lower levels, I feel comfortable using them and putting them on my horse before XC. The Nunn Finer double lock ones also are nice. I think they also make some that are neoprene free which is nice.

Breeches... do you want Full seats? Knee patch? I like the Tuff Riders for schooling. Thier cotton ones, not the ribbed ones, with the wide waistband is nice and flattering. They are not super thin so they cover problem areas well.

Show I like the TS breeches and I get them on ebay for schooling as well ofr about $50 for the 4way. You can get the 2way in schooling quality for cheap as well. I just prefer the 4way stretch.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I can weigh in on the ecogolds.

Let me start with their fronts. I love mine. I've had them for 3 years and they are at the end of their life - the stitching is starting to come out, they are starting to show a bit of wear where my mare must rub a little with her other leg or something... but I wore them every ride for the better part of the 3 years (now I tape them up for events, hoping they can limp along until Christmas ). I would definitely buy them again, never noticed any heat in her legs, protective, fit her very well, easy to clean, and she was not at all sensitive to them (she is definitely allergic to neoprene).

The hinds.... on the other hand. I hate them. I've used them less than 10 times in the year and half I've owned them and the velcro closures are falling apart and have been since the 2nd or 3rd time I used them. I do not like how they fit (if you don't put them on tight enough they can slip down - I had a friend help tack my horse once for a schooling and I had to get off and fix them). I would not ever purchase the hinds ever again, thoroughly disappointed in them..

pic of hinds not very easy to see as they are taped down, but you can see the edge of the further boot frayed.

I should also mention the way I have the hinds on are not the way they instruct you to put them on - but I had them move too much (and I also wondered if they frayed edges were from how they were on her legs - I don't think it was). You are "supposed" to have the ecogold label in the front of the leg, but I would rather the entire inside of her leg be protected as she travels close behind.

EventingJ - I'm sorry you had trouble with your hind EG boots, but looking at your picture, I'm not sure they're the same ones as I have.

I love my EG boots - have had them for three years now, and they're still going strong. that said, my hind EG boots don't look like EventingJ's boots - hers look softer and more malleable than mine, which might be cause for the premature wear. Mine fit great and don't slip on a pretty average 16.1 hind leg, and I don't notice any great heat build-up, even in a NC summer.

I second (third?) the recommendation for the FITS Beka breeches. Oh-so-flattering on any body type (even mine!) and they're extremely well-made and durable. Love them, and would buy a pair in every color if I could afford it.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

these are the boots I have from ecogold.

I don't boot my guy, so no help there.

Breeches? I love all things TuffRider. I adore the ribbed ones for schooling. I abuse mine and have for three years. With the exception of a small stain on one of them, they all still look new. I am not careful with them. I do not wash according to instruction, etc. yet they still look fine.

I have a number of other TuffRider styles and love them all. Best part? They're all under $100. Many under $50.

Bump! Any more suggestions before I fill my shopping cart?

I have the Nunn Finer XC boots and I really like them. They have been holding up well and have stayed on through plenty of water. They offer good protection, are a reasonable price, and they have a nice lining that has met with the approval of my two very boot-picky horses! So many others seemed rather rough on the inside and I felt they would be more prone to rubbing and/or not acceptable to my horses that seem to prefer sheepskin next to their skin no matter what body part is involved!

As for breeches, I personally love Tropical Riders - I have numerous pairs of both schooling and showing breeches and they have all held up to fairly heavy use and are very comfortable. Depending on your fabric and patch/seat choices they would still be in your budget.