The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Calling all COTHers with short haired dogs

Up until last year, I had only ever owned long haired breeds - shepherds and goldens, to be exact. It seems as though when these types of dog leave hair on upholstry, a quick vacuum takes care of the problem in its entirety.

However, now I have two Great Danes and I love the whole grooming aspect of their short hair. BUT...I CANNOT get their hair out of my truck or off of the couch. It's like the hair has little barbs to ensure that it will remain latched on for eternity.

Once I get the truck cleaned up I want to buy a nice seat cover for them, but no matter how hard I try there still seem to be millions and millions of little hairs.

Someone must know....help me!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Lint roller, or....put a rubber glove on (the kind for dishwashing) and get it slightly damp. You may be able to pick up the hair.....

Yes, they do have little barbs (probably follicles?) and they are tough to get out. Wait til you foot hurts and it turns out you have one stuck in your skin.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Heh--good luck with that...those tiny, short (usually light colored) hairs just seem to multiply, don't they! You will never get them to go away--they do indeed have barbs and work their way in and then back out of fabric. The Pug has made a permanent impression in several vehicles, chairs and couches.

Invest in a sticky lint roller thingy. And wear light colored everything.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

It is going to take you forever to get it out...sorry!

NOT what I wanted to hear, guys!
    Lint rollers DO NOT work. They pick up some hair but I think I'd need to by stock in 3M with how many I'd have to buy to get it all out.

I for sure thought someone would have some great trick...sigh.

And I have gotten their hair stuck in my skin, that's not fun at all.

Agree with the rubber/latex glove.
    Buy a box of those at any drug store.
    Bring a wet towel or small water container to the vehicle and slap on a glove. Dampen your hand and then using the side of fingertips (whichever works for you) rub in short sections in *one* direction. It should catch a lot of the hairs enough to yank them out of the fabric.

It's time consuming, but does seem to work the best that I've tried.

And look into neoprene type seat covers. Those seem to catch the least amount of hair.

I was *pissed* when I bought my truck that there wasn't a vinyl/pleather type option for the interior. Cloth only unless I wanted a lot of extra bells and whistles to package up to a leather interior option. My favorite interiors are always fake leather. Wicked easy to clean and you can use water on it and hair does not stick to it! And coffee doesn't stain it. And you can't drink coffee neatly in a bouncy truck on lumpy roads.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Ok, will definitely be trying the glove thing!

Leather upholstery. Otherwise, slipcovers.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Hoover! I have a Pet Dyson and it really works!

http://www.dyson.co.uk/Vacuumcleaners/Pets.aspx
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

those rubber brushes, cheap at walmart...

but no, you'll never get that hair out.
    (and yes, had one stuck in a toe one time, worse than any splinter!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

my Bissel Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum does seem to do a great job of getting the little hairs off the couch.

I just have to say that I WANT short haired dogs. I found it easier to get out their hair than our Lleweyllin Setters. These hairs are like 4 inches long! I've found them in my contact case, my work notebooks, my food, my underwear (!), my pill case, and last night, I signed a breath of relief at being relaxed, and took in multiple long hairs! UGH. I dont know how people deal with it!

And this is after normal bathing, brushing and shedding. oy.

For short hair, I find that the Bissell vaccuums work well, and lint rollers. Also using horse shedders on them is key.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

My parents got this hair squeege thing from Bed, Bath, and Beyond a few years ago and they swear by it! They have a JRTxPit and three cats and that thing will get hair out of anywhere.

I use a lint roller in my truck, but it takes forever. She's been banned to a towel on the back seat!

Call Vince, and get the Shticky

Seriously...Ive just given up, my car belongs to my dogs and horses. There's gonna be hair.

Default Hair splinters

Ditto the recommendations for rubber. There are rubber brushes sold for this market. Some vacuums come with rubber attachments.

The hammock-type seat covers will help -after you get it all cleared out. No fleece.

I now have one longhaired and one short. The longhaired leaves strands that float in the air before catching a ride on work clothes, lunch bag, any surface. The shorthaired leaves splinter cities on the floor, furniture, in the car, on my pant legs... that canNOT be swiped off with a flick of the wrist. Instead they must be plucked with a surgeon's precision then immediately deposited deeply into a trash can. A regular vacuum? Oh the splinters just laugh and stand tall enjoying the exfoliation.

No solutions, but I feel your pain. My Dane's hair is embedded in the seams of my LEATHER couch. And the back seat of my Tundra (not leather, sadly oh so sadly) is hair city. All of that hair is going to form up and bark some day. Thank goodness he's so stinkin' cute and sweet, totally makes up for white hair everywhere.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

You have to think on the good aspects- the hairs work their way into the fabric and reinforce it, so it lasts longer. Choose a color/ pattern that looks good with your dog's hair.

I used to have the rubber backed, and denim front Kozy K-9 for my back seat, and it helped the dog grip, and kept the seat covers clean. It only came in one size so I fit it to the seat, tucked in all of the sides, and cut the extra length off with scissors.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I used to have a Dalmatian and I STILL have hair in my car after she passed away 3 years ago. I have a regular Dyson (the cheaper one, not the animal) and it works better than anything Ive found. I bought the dyson turbine head on ebay to do the steps and dog beds.