The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Fitter - Chester County, PA

Hi All, can anyone recommend a saddle fitter in Chester County, PA? The ESMT that I use recommended someone but the farm call fee seems to be quite high.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Bump

Check your PMs
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Two choices in the area are Annette Gavin and Kate Wilson. I don't know what you mean by a high farm fee, it's possible you'll consider their fees too high?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

What kind of prices should we expect?
    I have never had a saddle fitter before but I feel like something is not right with the fit for my younger boy.

I can't really afford a new saddle but would like to maybe get mine adjusted.

So I guess we are just looking for a few prices to see if what we were quoted is close to / is the norm.

Thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by superD View Post
    What kind of prices should we expect?
    I have never had a saddle fitter before but I feel like something is not right with the fit for my younger boy.

I can't really afford a new saddle but would like to maybe get mine adjusted.

So I guess we are just looking for a few prices to see if what we were quoted is close to / is the norm.

Thanks!!!!
    Well, Kate's really far from you. So her travel fee to you is, understandably, more than if you were closer.

All in, I'd expect $200-400 for a complete fitting and flocking adjustment (and all fees etc.) More if the saddle needs more intensive work.
    ~Veronica

Karen Porter

Beware of what you are getting. I booked Annette Gavin last May after several email exchanges and a lengthy description of my two horses, saddle size and width needed and which saddles I was interested in. She sent an email asking if a particular date worked for me. I responded yes, depending on which saddles she had available to try. She sent me a list of 5+ saddles, so I confirmed. She showed up, took a wither tracing of both horses and started to pack up. I asked about the saddles to try and she said she didn't bring any and handed me a bill for $143. I sent an email later expressing my unhappiness and she responded that she didn't bring any saddles because it was a rainy day. I responded that we could have done static fittings in the aisle or else reschedule and she responded that it was my responsibility to find an indoor. However, she had no saddles with her even if I had arranged for an indoor! She may be an excellent fitter -- I have no way of knowing. She wanted to schedule a second appointment to bring the saddles she said she was bringing the first time. I declined.

I have since used Tara Milizano from from tmiliz.webs.com who is an independent fitter. She brought four saddles, but in no way pushed them over the one I had in from Trumball. I was very happy and impressed. The total bill for over 3 hours, 2 horses and 7 saddles was $235.

I have also heard from many sources that Suzie Coffey is a wonderful independent fitter. However, she does not come to individual farms here in PA, but has everyone come meet at one farm in the area.

I have also had Gary Severson in Factoryville, PA recommended to me by a person in MA whose opinion I value, though I have not heard of him from anyone down here. His website is thesaddledoctorllc.com.

Good luck. Would love to hear who you choose, what they charge and your experience with them.

Does Tara just consult or can she work on saddles (reflock, adjust trees, repairs, etc.)? I had not heard of her!
    ~Veronica

All in, I'd expect $200-400 for a complete fitting and flocking adjustment (and all fees etc.) More if the saddle needs more intensive work.

Wow ok thanks, it seems that the estimate that we got was in the ball park. I sure didn't realize that it would be pricey but I guess that makes sense.

Thanks for the info!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Does Tara just consult or can she work on saddles (reflock, adjust trees, repairs, etc.)? I had not heard of her!
    That is a good question. She suggested reflocking a saddle I have instead of trying to find a new one and I assumed she meant she could do it herself. I will email her right now to see if she meant she could do it herself, because if she can I want to schedule that ASAP myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdenfarm View Post
    I will email her right now to see if she meant she could do it herself, because if she can I want to schedule that ASAP myself.
    Yes, Tara does adjustments and complete reflockings.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdenfarm View Post
    I have also had Gary Severson in Factoryville, PA recommended to me by a person in MA whose opinion I value, though I have not heard of him from anyone down here. His website is thesaddledoctorllc.com.
    Gary is the best. He's been fitting my saddles for 14 years. He doesn't sell saddles but he's helped me choose what to buy.

I knew Karen Porter in a previous life, when she had a tack store in Quakertown -- never had her fit a saddle for me but I always found her knowledgeable and helpful.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

I've been using Tara for several years now. She was just out this week to adjust the flocking to my current saddle, and try some new saddles on. She also can convert saddles to wool flocking. She is so knowledgable and takes the time to show you what and why she's doing what she does. She charges $85 to adjust flocking, I'm not sure what a total reflock would be - a few hundred, I'm guessing.

I had a similar very disappointing saddle fit appointment with Annette Gavin. Will not be using her again.