The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default cheap mats

Not stall mats, looking for aisle way/cross tie type. Anybody got good suggestions for a source, w/o paying $80 some a pop from a horse catalog? And if buying second hand, anybody worrying about picking up EHV-1 from something like this? How would you clean/disinfect to safeguard, on a porous surface like that?

Check farm stores! I don't know about the US, but I got mine at a farm store - they are light, not too big (so easily moved), yet very stable when four are put together on my concrete "grooming" stall.

Good luck!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Around here I see ads on craiglist for big rolls of rubber matting that work great for aisle mats. They are usually 1/2" think and about 4' x 12' for about $60. And then come in longer lengths as well. I believe they are actually made for gym/weight room flooring but work fine for barn aisles and such. It could be worth looking to see if there are such listings around you.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My local big-box farm store (Wilco, Coastal, etc.) sells rubber matting on a roll you buy by the foot. Comes in 1/2" or 1/4" thickness x 4 foot width, $5/foot. Lies nicely on my concrete floors, doesn't move, sweeps easily.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains.

Our local Tractor Supply sells 6' x 4' rubber stall mats for <$35; sometimes on sale for $30. They're the solid rubber kind, about 3/4" thick. I used them in all my stalls & my aisle. Not luxurious, but workable and affordable.
    "I never met a man I didn't like who liked horses." Will Rogers

Check with local rock quarries in your area. The rubber belting they use for thier conveyers makes great hall flooring as it comes in very long pieces and often they just give it away to get rid of it. We have used it for years. Now granted it is a bear to move! Find a few strong men to roll it up and load it! It's usually about 2.3 to 3 feet wide. If you find narrow strips they are great for lining round pens to keep footing in place.
    To ride a horse is to borrow freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by equislover View Post
    Check with local rock quarries in your area. The rubber belting they use for thier conveyers makes great hall flooring as it comes in very long pieces and often they just give it away to get rid of it. We have used it for years. Now granted it is a bear to move! Find a few strong men to roll it up and load it! It's usually about 2.3 to 3 feet wide. If you find narrow strips they are great for lining round pens to keep footing in place.
    We have that as our main floor in the barn, but it gets so slick when wet/icy I ended up buying 4x6 mats to cover it in the main traffic areas. Works great though otherwise
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com