The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tendon Injury...going really well then this...

So Forrest has been on stall rest for about a week and a half. He has been doing well. He has a tear in his check ligament and suspensory. I have been cold hosing and icing 2x a day and using furicin to slowly sweat it out. The swelling is going down and is no longer hot and no reaction from palpitating the area. The last couple of days while hand grazing and walking a small loop Forrest walk has returned to it normal length and I can hear his feet "clinking" as he oversteps. Yay!

Well yesterday morning, I cold hosed his leg and then let the leg breathe and return to normal temperature. Afterwards I used his ice-vibe boots for 20 minutes. During the 20 minutes I was just hand grazing him. Once done I walked him back to the barn and he was walking really well, then all of a sudden was head bobbing lame. It was really bad, for him anyways, at first but got better the more he moved. In the afternoon, he was still ouchy but I was told it took a bit to see it. The leg was still cold and no sensitivity with the swollen area. What could this be? He got new shoes on a Sept 4th and the vet told me to put a 2 degree pad which we did and the farrier used the silicone underneath to help prevent abscesses and he said it was highly unlikely it was one.

Anyone experience this before?
    Last edited by cswoodlandfairy; Sep. 10, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Legs looks fine and sudden severe lameness is usually an abscess.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Legs looks fine and sudden severe lameness is usually an abscess.
    This was my assumption as well (And internally hoping). Can they happen that fast? The morning shift at the barn will let me know how he is, I wont see him till the afternoon. Is there a way to test with those pads on? I wouldn't think the hoof testers would make a difference with the pad?
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

Just curious, why the wedge?
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

The vet said it would take the stress of the check ligament. It is the worse of the two.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

In my experiences with various tendon/ligament injuries, I've seen similar behavior to what you described. Horse may appear "sound" on the leg but then a certain movement or starting to move after standing mostly still for a while causes them to favor the leg again. It takes a while for those injuries to heal so the soreness and tenderness in the tendon/ligament is going to come and go. Think of it as being like a sore muscle. Once you get moving, you don't feel the pain as much but after you sit still for a while and try to get moving again, the stiffness/soreness is much worse at first.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipHiLad4me View Post
    In my experiences with various tendon/ligament injuries, I've seen similar behavior to what you described. Horse may appear "sound" on the leg but then a certain movement or starting to move after standing mostly still for a while causes them to favor the leg again. It takes a while for those injuries to heal so the soreness and tenderness in the tendon/ligament is going to come and go. Think of it as being like a sore muscle. Once you get moving, you don't feel the pain as much but after you sit still for a while and try to get moving again, the stiffness/soreness is much worse at first.
    What you say definitely makes sense. I hope that's all it is! that would mean its healing and building the fibers back! Just so odd to be walking for a bit and then lame...so frustrating! Its just the first time he's been that lame at the walk. And the first time it happened in the last two weeks since it started.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB

Quote Originally Posted by cswoodlandfairy View Post
    The vet said it would take the stress of the check ligament. It is the worse of the two.
    Interesting. If that is the case (I have no direct experience the check ligament injuries) then you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've always been told that heel elevation actually puts MORE stress on the suspensories (which I unfortunately have a lot of experience with!). I'm crossing my fingers for an abcess or a hot nail!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie19 View Post
    Interesting. If that is the case (I have no direct experience the check ligament injuries) then you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've always been told that heel elevation actually puts MORE stress on the suspensories (which I unfortunately have a lot of experience with!). I'm crossing my fingers for an abcess or a hot nail!
    Yes, my very good lameness vet and surgeon told me when my horse pulled a suspensory: "Whatever you do, do NOT let anyone put a wedge on him!"

I would think the suspensory injury would be the basis of treatment if there is conflicting treatment as it is a far more crucial ligament than the check ligament.

It was never suggested that any of the horses that I know who had check ligament injuries add a wedge.

I would never put a wedge on any tendon or ligament injury. When you take him down to a normal shoe, he will tear all over again. Get him back flat, so he can heal normally.

My fancy schmancy lameness vet also nixed wedges after a suspensory injury.
    As for the other, hoping it is an abscess. They can come in that suddenly. The pad will complicate things, unfortunately...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

My good lameness vet from the Lexington/Simpsonville area also does not like wedges for suspensory issues (which we battled for over a year with my horse). Sounds like an abscess to me as well...Jingles for you horse that it's "just" an abscess now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    I would never put a wedge on any tendon or ligament injury. When you take him down to a normal shoe, he will tear all over again. Get him back flat, so he can heal normally.
    ^ This! Elevating the heel will cause contraction and even the slightest contraction will cause issues when the horse is put back to normal shoes.

Thanks everyone for your concerns, but it was suggested by my vet, who is highly reputable in my area.

She said to use a two degree because the check ligament is the worse of the two and to slowly bring him back down with each shoeing as the check ligament gets better and to ensure the suspensory doesn't get re-injured or torn more. Everything is very mildly torn, so he is in a good position all things considering.

Oddly enough the lameness went away the next day and he has been fine. I have no idea what happened, but figure it will have ups and downs in recovery.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB