The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you tip your hay delivery guy?

Curious, what do others do with respect to the guys who bring hay and unload and stack it? Do you tip them? Do you just offer them cold drinks? Something else?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by REH View Post
    Curious, what do others do with respect to the guys who bring hay and unload and stack it? Do you tip them? Do you just offer them cold drinks? Something else?

Thanks!

Ok, all kidding aside....a cold drink should be the standard.

I don't think a sign of appreciation in form of a bit of paper money is out of line.
    Of course, depending a bit on the details.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

nope!
    They get paid, offered a cold drink (wondering about that "something else".....I think I'd expect them to take quite a bit off that delivery fee)
    no tips (or anything else!)

and a wonderful, wonderful service. Having hauled 17 tons out of the field, stacked on the trailer, hauled home, restacked, not as much fun as you'd think! MUCH better to watch 4 guys stack it!!

Fans for loft when its 110 up there..lots of Cold drinks and a hose off in the wash stall...they charge a delivery and stack fee.....While I appreciate the labor I pay for it and provide my own hay elevator as well....Prompt payment is their biggest pleasure

Nope. He charges me a delivery fee (which I gladly pay) and we help unload. I then offer cold drinks all around.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Mine doesn't charge a delivery fee, and he helps unload, so he gets a check for the hay and a $20 bill, plus bottled water and offered a beer. He never takes me up on the beer and I'm pretty sure he wouldn't take more than $20. He's not a 'hay farmer' though, he's a cattle/crop farmer that grows his own hay and I only get ~100 bales. I also went to school with him
    Quarry Rat

Default Yep

big fan, cold drinks, $20 each.

I no longer have to stack hay, they do it exactly as I ask and they sweep up.

I usually have a guy or two to help them as well.

The hotter it is, the nicer I am. Ditto with cold.

When I was 25, I could pitch it up there with the best of them.

If it's higher than my chest now? Nope, I'll pay somebody else.

My hay supplier doesn't charge for delivery. We pay cash, so no taxes and he loads into the individual hay sheds/hay areas of everyone who orders hay at the place where I board my horses. I always add at least $5 extra to my order for loading it into my shed for me.

Mine charges a delivery fee so I don't tip.

Well, delivery fee is the cost of getting it to your barn...even stacked.

If the guy/s were the owners, probably not, but the hired help, you know they are not paid enormously either.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

"delivered and stacked" is included in my cost per bale.

He is a cantankerous old party who generally chooses to deliver when I am at work.

I come home to find my barn full of generally well-stacked bales (he has trouble keeping stackers - it's hard work!).
    Sometimes not such a great stacking job, but his price is so good - and has been for the 8yrs I've used him - I overlook that, restack where needed, and we're all happy.

If I happen to be home when the wagon arrives, I'll offer cold drinks.
    He pays his stackers $10/hr so no tips from me.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

No tipping here. I always have ice-cold (as in partially frozen) bottles of water available in the summer & offer hot coffee/tea in the winter, & always help stack as much as possible. But the cost of hay + the price of delivery since gas prices shot up (around here - $35-$50 just to drive 8-10 miles to my place) doesn't have me eager to tip. Plus, the guy who charges $50 is just to dump the hay in the yard - not stack. For the $35-guy, I help stack. And we're only talking about 50-60 bales or so.

One thing that struck me as odd the other day - & I wonder if it's common - is when I visited one of my hay/feed dealers & while waiting in line for my stuff, watched one of the guys load some feed bags (about 5-6) into someone's truck. The customer said - this is for you, & handed the guy a $5. For dumping 5 bags of feed into the back of a truck. If that's common practice, I must really come off as a cheapskate - lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    ....when I visited one of my hay/feed dealers & while waiting in line for my stuff, watched one of the guys load some feed bags (about 5-6) into someone's truck. The customer said - this is for you, & handed the guy a $5. For dumping 5 bags of feed into the back of a truck. If that's common practice, I must really come off as a cheapskate - lol!!
    Well me too then! I have never, ever seen anyone tip the very nice feedstore guys who every single time offer to take my feed out to my truck and throw it in the bed. They are always really nice and friendly, but if someone else is tipping 5 bucks, they must hate me!! I think I will check that out!

I sure hope they don't expect "something else". I'll be carrying my own feed!

Totally depends upon what he looks like with his shirt off all sweaty and breathing hard! Used to have a hay guy that was true eye candy!!

He got married though and moved.

No other hay guys since have ever been in his league.

No tips.

Oh boy oh boy! I get to be the first one in the "something else" category!!

When I had my hay delivered, I used to give the farmer....

Venison usually in the form of Summer sausage or italian meatballs (ya'll minds are in the gutter!! )

Unless I help unload from the truck, yes I tip. If I go to the feedstore and someone loads my truck, I tip too. Store I was at over the weekend has everything warehoused and run out to your truck for you, there is no self service. I tipped $4 for 4 bales of shavings loaded.

That said, I ALWAYS opt to load my own if possible, and I haven't had hay delivered in 2 years. While I actually dislike the entire premise of tipping, I am a frequent tipper.

I did however bring my new hay supplier venison though just the other week. He's been giving me first pick at superb hay at great prices, and nothing says "thank you I really appreciate it" like deer balls (italian meat balls you mind in the gutter people )
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    Click for the ideal stocking stuffer for anyone equine!

Most of y'all are in the gutters

One of my neighbors bakes the hay guys pies. That's what I was talking about (or the venison noted above, but I'm not a meat eater so don't usually have that).

I've been using the same hay guy for years and don't generally tip him except maybe some lunch money if he helped me out in a pinch. He doesn't grow the hay, he sells it for others and I figure his money is in the something like $8.50/bale he's charging me for the hay which is painful to pay.

But, I've heard some people tip their hay guy and I'm thinking about switching hay guys and want to make sure I'm not going to insult him if I don't tip. I've been using my same guy for so long I don't know what's expected. But by the time I write my several thousand dollar check, I'm usually not feeling very tip happy--but I don't want to fire one, hire another, and then tick him off if I don't tip him and then be out two hay guys.

Didn't want to color anyone's opinion, so I left detail out of my original post

Welllll, my DH is my hay delivery guy so he is in the "something else" category.

I don't think tipping for loading your truck at the feed store is allowed in this state. Same with courtesy clerks at the market. No tipping for bringing your groceries out to your vehicle.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I get hay once a month. The delivery guy is hardworking and meticulous about unloading and putting half in one place and half in a different location. I tip him $20.

I always tip mine, and this year, since he is not selling out of state and keeping my price the same, he will get several home baked pies as well. I love my hay guy!