The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default County Saddle is Fading--solutions/preventions?

I have a County Innovation that is less than 3 years old. It is the lighter 'chestnut' color, and has been regularly cleaned with saddle soap (glycerine base) and treated with Bienenwax (old German product to condition leather) or Neatsfoot oil. The County rep was quite pleased with it last fall. Fast forward to now: we moved barns and now have a lovely outdoor, where we've ridden all summer, since May. We show outdoors as well. Otherwise, Mr. Saddle is stored inside a climate controlled tackroom with no windows.

My saddle is fading!! The cantle area is super light, like beige, as is the front edge of the knee roll. My trainer and I were shocked at how fast it has happened. Is it simply the sun? Should I apply a different set of cleaning/conditioning products? Ideas? Help-I love this saddle, but have never had one fade in all my years of riding.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

We have to oil DD's County regularly to keep it darker - especially the seat. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I had this problem with a previous County... I also want to hear what others have to say

me too!

Love to hear what people say. I have the dark colored one and it is fading like crazy, actually has spots that are reddish where the die is fading.
    Impossible is nothing.

I would contact your rep. Apparently there has been a leather issue with some of the oak bark leather. I am considering buying a demo that is 2 years old and it is discounted heavily due to the fact that apparently the leather color has issues. Not sure if it is the same problem you have had but I would contact them. I feel like that would be covered in a warranty?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Well...that is very interesting! Good to know that other County owners are having similar issues. I will email my rep tonight and see what the "party line" is on this. I always read George Morris' opinion on "light colored tack"--and I'm scared he'd ream me for my two-tone, beige saddle
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    We have to oil DD's County regularly to keep it darker - especially the seat. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say.
    Instead of continually oiling, you might want to switch to CWD cream conditioner, which darkens beautifully in addition to its conditioning properties. And I would definitely contact County about this issue with their leather, just one more reason why I don't like their saddles.