The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Facial/jaw swelling

Was bringing in my horses this morning and noticed my gelding had swelling on the side of his face, right above the crease of his mouth (along his jawline). It was about 2 inches by 4 inches at 9 this morning. Hardish throughout, with some squishyness on top. There was one spot, a bit bigger than a quarter that was dark. In the dark spot, there was a pinpoint little scab.

Chatted with vet this morning, who said to give 2g bute, ice it and apply Animax. Did that.

Now it is about double the size it was this morning. The swelling has moved down to the crease of his mouth and down under his jaw. Vet advised that I give dex and call her if it gets worse.

Horse ate his smartpak normally, and ive seen him eat a little hay. Isnt having trouble breathing. Temp was 100.0. The swelling isnt super painful, but seems ouchy when I squeeze it. The only thing that's weird is that he lunged at/galloped after and bit our mare, which he's never done before. He's pinning his ears at her, which isnt normal for him.

Snake bite? Spider bite? Abscess? Ugh.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

A friend's horse came in from the field with very much the same symptoms but also was a little reluctant to eat. (She did eat though!) No temp or anything - just lots of facial swelling and heat. Turned out she had gotten into a ground bee nest and gotten stung. She's on bute and antibiotics. Seems to be feeling much better now.

Thats good to hear. My geldings swelling is travelling downwards (gravity?), and seems to be going down in the immediate area, so hopefully thats a good sign.

I think some sort of spider/bug/bee is what we're thinking at this point. It's still a little scary since it's on his face though (and now the swelling is heading to his lips..)
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Strange. I had a similar thing two weeks ago. I too assumed a bee sting. Better now, but he had a little pouch under his chin for a few days as gravity stepped in.