The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking Wanted - Beginner Safe Trail Horse

My FABULOUS trail horse (who is owned by another COTHer) is getting up in years and would like to be retired as a pasture puff. I am sadly looking for something that might come close to being as perfect as she is.

My "ideal" horse is 15.2 hands give or take and enjoys trail riding. The horse will not do any ring work, but must have fairly smooth gaits. It needs to be able to sit for a week or two and then go for a light ride without loosing its mind. I do not want something spooky and it must ride alone and in company. I am an experienced rider, but my body doesn't heal as well as it used to, so I would like something with a good brain. I *love* mares and seem to click well with grouchy ones. Honestly, I would love to find a horse in the 14-18yo age range. Any breed, but prefer something that is pretty heavy boned like a QH. I know it's a tall order, but I am willing to sign a no-resale contract and provide an excellent home. We have a beautiful farm and live right across from a Nature Preserve. I would be more than happy to provide a long list of references including vet and farrier (my fiance is an equine dentist).
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Sending you a PM.

I also sent you a PM.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

I highly recommend contacting a Standardbred adoption group that covers your area. Standardbreds come in all shapes and sizes, lots are very subtantially well built. They will have or help you find one that is safe, sane and healthy. I had never even seen one before rescuing mine, now I 'd never go back. Mine went right from the track to a beginner trail rider for years until their finances changed. You can commonly find them for free or very little.

I'm so sorry, I'm an idiot. I read your post but didn't remember the "beginner safe" part in your heading. Duh! I still think Trevor would work for you, but I understand if you aren't interested. Good luck in your search.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

I'm still looking. It is going to be hard to find the right horse because the one I've been on the last few years is perfect in every way. She has not taken a wrong step since we brought her home and I would love to clone her!

I want something that is quiet, not-spooky, and a pleasure to ride. We have an excellent home to offer and I am willing to wait for my perfect match.
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com