The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OMG a new kitteh? Help me COTHERS!

I actually for the first time in years have a pretty full life. I have two dogs and the ancient cat, Little Miss Muffet. She is 19. I did promise her I wouldn't get another cat till she was gone.
    But
    my pastor/boss Jake, [I have blouses older than Jake!] has gotten a kitten for his kids. Small kids. His wife, whom I like, doesn't. like. cats. He asked if I wanted the cat. 11 month old female grey. tabby. Maine Coon. Full stop. I LOFF MCs. Muff and Malarky are and were.
    She isn't spade. I told him I would take her IF he got her spade.
    Small house, old cat, playful dog. sigh. I have a baby gate up preventing the dogs from raiding the cat litter and her food, but a kitteh! Muff is able to come and go without being disturbed. But I don't know where i can put the kitten. There are only two doors besides closets in the house and one is to the cat/laundry room, and one is the bathroom. They are side by side. Well, cat room leads to BR. Shall I do this?
    Another killer of threads

RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    What Diamondindykin says. And blessings to you for doing it. And prayers and jingles for you all--Larksmom, Muff, dogs, and Little Augusta (for Maine? Sorry ) I used to know a wonderful MCC named Moe.
    Rack on!

Thumbs down Not the right time

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    I actually for the first time in years have a pretty full life. I have two dogs and the ancient cat, Little Miss Muffet. She is 19. I did promise her I wouldn't get another cat till she was gone.

She isn't spade.

But I don't know where i can put the kitten.
    I'll be the crotchety voice of dissent. Just because you can get another pet, doesn't mean you should.

You promised the 19yo . Your duty is to her, first and foremost. A young newcomer will stress her. 19 years is a real accomplishment to be proud of! Don't throw it all away now.

You also state you have no physical room. Resist the urge. Pastor can find another home just as suitable if not more so because they are suitable right now.

FYI it is "spayed."

I've always found there is a way to work it out, so I would do it. However, I adore Maine Coon kitties -- one of my favorites was very obviously a MCC. If you decide not to take it PM me, LOL. Where are you? We found that by putting the cat litter up high in a closet off the laundry room kept our 3 dogs out of it -- we just got a plastic 3 drawer cabinet at a discount store and put pet food in the drawers -- that works great. Cats have a way of fitting in if given a chance -- good luck!
    PennyG

I'll be the crotchety voice of dissent. Just because you can get another pet, doesn't mean you should.

You promised the 19yo . Your duty is to her, first and foremost.

Why would you stress the 19 y.o. with a new young cat?????
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post

You promised the 19yo . Your duty is to her, first and foremost.

Why would you stress the 19 y.o. with a new young cat?????
    I wholeheartedly agree. Poor old lady deserves to live out her life without the stress that a new kitten would bring. My heart broke when my brother and sister in law brought TWO new Maine Coons to live with them - their old cat was relegated to the guest room for the rest of her life.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Default I think

I think I'd be kind of inclined to do a trial and see what the older kitty thinks. I have one that is 13 but was diagnosed with kidney issues 3 years ago and is on fluids so not the best of health and she HATES other cats. I got two barn kittens during the winter and once the weather got hot, one of them starting having breathing issues (has been diagnosed as asthmatic) so I had to start letting him in the house and where he goes, his sister goes. To my surprise, the older cat, although not excited about them, isn't really having a problem with them. Last night, the youngster was on my lap and the older cat was on the foot stool a foot away on her back and totally relaxed. So, maybe do a slow, carefully introduction and just see if it upsets the 19 yo.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

I have a (now) 14 year old cat who hated all kittens...two years ago I rescued a little kitty from a storm drain, he had been down there for three days that we knew of, maybe longer. He was too scared of people (other than immediate family) to go to the Humane Society for adoption and no one I knew was interested in him. The old cat, Bill, was surprisingly tolerant of the baby. Baby cat quietly followed him around and did whatever he did, like hero worship . It wasn't long before they were eating side by side and they've been buddies ever since. Bill seems to enjoy Stormy's company.

I agree with the trial and see how it goes camp. If the 19 year old cat doesn't stress, and the rest of the situation is okay, it might work out very well. 11 months old should be through the worst of the kitten zoomies and MCC's tend to be pretty mellow anyway. If it doesn't work out she should be fairly easy to place.

Just because a cat is old/er doesn't mean a new kitty will stress her out.

We had a 15yo cat who was not in the least stressed when we brought home a 4 month old kitten. She quite liked it, actually.

Another dissenter here, with a 19 year old cat to whom I've also promised that he'll be an only until he's gone (he loves being an only!!).

Don't do it. I am so tempted by cute kittens and needy cats but all I have to do is see my old Murphy and I know I can't do it. I want to keep the old man around as long as I can. I know it's not YEARS at this point but another year would make me very, very happy.
    ~* Life is the dance you choose *~

Default Well, I thank you all

I wouldn't have even considered it but for someone, I think it might have been Holly Jeane that did it this year. I remember reading about it.
    But Muff didn't like her brother at all. And of course, Malarky-the Lark of Larks mom was the Best. Cat. EVER. The day he was PTS, she walked in and looked for him, but she didn't miss him.
    But.
    There's this.
    She hates the dogs too. Toffee is all about ignoring her, and leaving her alone. But Snickers! Gosh, can I play with it? Can I , Huh? Please please please?
    Snickers does need someone to play with.
    But I did ask for advice.
    Really, I should just strangle Jake. I told him he had to PROMISE me he wouldn't take on amy more pets.

Too bad you can't put a cat in dry dock while you wait for the Methselah cat to kick the bucket.

But back here on Earth, I'd say that your allegiance needs to be to the 19-year-old. Do a trial if all the people involved (who really, really, really want it to work) can steel their hearts and let the old cat give the thumbs up or thumbs down, all Julius Ceasar style.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I would agree that bringing in a young kitten wouldn't be fair to your old girl, but 11 month old cats are generally fairly calm. I would do it, especially since the alternative for the MC is probably not a great one.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I just got a new 4 month old kitten, with three 15 year old cats. We did agonize over it because of the old gals, but actually it's worked out very well. We have had very little drama, no fighting -- if he plays with a tail, he gets hissed at, that's about it -- and it's calm around here.

My biggest problem is now keeping him from darting out the door when I let the dogs out. He just appears out of nowhere and flies out the door, right up the nearest tree, before I pluck him down and take him back in. He really is a cute cat, but impish!

So it can be done. However, we have a room to isolate him and we have a large house (which has already lost it's appeal, since outside is very attractive). Plenty of space for everyone to go where they want and not have to interact.

Not sure I would do it if you can't make the newcomer comfortable.

Default Well, she's here

Jake brought her over last night, and she is terrified. Muff didn't actually hate her on first sight, but she new cat hates everyone. Jake couldn't even tell me her name which is good. so I will start from scratch.
    She is terrified of everyone and everything. Hisses at dogs, and Muff. She has already connected with my lip, so we will first work on her fear and my kindness. It seems to me, if I open my home to her, she needs to eventually feel a bit of gratitude. She will allow me to pick her up and pet her, she liked that, but not into belly rubs. I will hand feed her for awhile to see if that helps. I am keeping the dogs away from her. She spent the night in the living room, but had the choice of three rooms to move about in. She didn't move from the sofa.

I really hope everything works out! Keep us posted. Oh - and pics. We need pics.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Jake brought her over last night, and she is terrified. Muff didn't actually hate her on first sight, but she new cat hates everyone. Jake couldn't even tell me her name which is good. so I will start from scratch.
    She is terrified of everyone and everything. Hisses at dogs, and Muff. She has already connected with my lip, so we will first work on her fear and my kindness. It seems to me, if I open my home to her, she needs to eventually feel a bit of gratitude. She will allow me to pick her up and pet her, she liked that, but not into belly rubs. I will hand feed her for awhile to see if that helps. I am keeping the dogs away from her. She spent the night in the living room, but had the choice of three rooms to move about in. She didn't move from the sofa.
    Cats work on their own timetables, so expecting her to "feel a bit of gratitude" is not realistic. She's a cat, all she knows is that she's in a new freaky place with new animals that she doesn't know, and she's acting like a normal feline by warning everyone away until she feels comfortable.

You have to give her time to settle. If you introduced her right away to your other cat and animals, that wasn't the best way to do it. Were you attempting to hold her or pick her up when you got the swat in the face?

Good new is, is that she will probably settle down But it will take time and patience, and maybe a few weeks of "Ghost Kitty" before she acts like an established member of the house.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Its always interesting how animals react. I brought home from a shelter a 3-yr old MC (or MC mix) who was totally declawed- all 4 ft. () She was used to dogs based on her turn-in info.

So i take her home, stick her in the guest room, w/ baby gate and a mostly closed door. Dogs are curious, but leave her in peace and quiet.

That set up lasted exactly 1 hour, at which point said new cat appeared in the living room where we were watching TV, said "hey" to the dogs and climbed on a chair.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Default HOORAY YES A NEW KITTEN !

HOORAY ~ a new kitten ~~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"